Computer Programs to Log Training

Max Phillips

May 9, 2006
Hey all, as you can probably tell from the "total posts" to the left of this, I'm very new here. I was wondering if anyone knew of any computer programs that allowed you to log training information into.

Right now I have a Trek Incite 6i, so there's no Garmin GPS computer for me to hook up to a computer, but I'd kind of like something better than the Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet that I have right now documenting distance, time, body mass, and the like.

If nothing else, if you guys have any other information I should document in the Excel, it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunatly, like I said, I just have a Incite 6i, so average speed can be a pain.

Thanks

If your just starting out biking and training get a Polar S720i or S725 and use it and the included software to log your training workout. I'm happy I got mine 2 years ago and have logged everything, but I still use Excel to compare my workout data too. The Polar software has been good enough for me.

Max Phillips said:
Hey all, as you can probably tell from the "total posts" to the left of this, I'm very new here. I was wondering if anyone knew of any computer programs that allowed you to log training information into.

Right now I have a Trek Incite 6i, so there's no Garmin GPS computer for me to hook up to a computer, but I'd kind of like something better than the Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet that I have right now documenting distance, time, body mass, and the like.

If nothing else, if you guys have any other information I should document in the Excel, it would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunatly, like I said, I just have a Incite 6i, so average speed can be a pain.

Thanks
It would be helpful to know what your specific goals are, but assuming you just want something general:

While it's not cycling-specific, I recently installed MySportTraining ($29.95) plus the add-on MySportTraining Food ($7.95) into my HP iPAQ hx2415 Pocket PC (with Windows Mobile 5.0). It's also available for regular Windows PCs for $34.95, and Palm OS for $24.95.

You can track and review things like ride distance, ascent, average speed, your subjective feelings about your workouts, etc. Can also store things like your favorite ride routes so you don't have to enter that every time. And it has fields for manually entering info from your heart-rate monitor, or estimating that info with built-in formulas (or automatically if you have a Polar S-series HRM for another $14.95). There's also an optional GPS add-on.

It also integrates with my diet. I tend to be undisciplined when I eat, so keeping my diet tied in with my workouts is great. It can calculate calories burned and eaten, so you can control your weight. Also displays if your diet is balanced or not.

And since it is on my handheld iPAQ, I can keep it in my pocket or my backpack and update it any time. Again, it's not cycling-specific, but I've found it to be a good basic assist to my training. I increased my VO2max thanks to this software. Go here:

http://www.vidaone.com/mst_ppc.htm

Thanks everyone for your responses...after a few initial posts about other subjects going unanswered, i was wondering if this members of this forum were black listing me.

I have a Dell Axim so I may look into what you were saying and buying some of that software. The thing is money is kind of tight. As far as my goals, let's just say I hope to win the Tour in about 2013 or 2014...like they say, set your sights to the moon, so if you miss, you still land among the stars.

now that I have all corny, junior high graduation theme quotes out of the way, I just wanted to express my thanks again

Check out Net Cyclist.

You can download a demo, and actually do all your logs and reports on the website. Transfer data from web to PC, and the PC software and import data from some heart rate monitors.

Chris is quick to answer questions and fix reported bugs.
He just started in 2004 and has done a great job!