Computer question

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I'm deciding whether to purchase a computer for my 07 Roubaix. It looks like you can buy wired or wireless, there is a also quite a difference in prices. Can someone recommend one that's a good value. Also, is this something I can install or does a shop need to do it. Thanks

Hi.
Re installation - most seem to have good instructions so there is no reason why you can't do it yourself.

Brands etc....
Get one with Cadence - its very helpful for endurance and to work on pedalling smoothly etc.

I recommend the Cateye Astrale 8 (or the later Strada with Cadence if you really want wireless):) .
Astrale8s are reliable, cadence etc and no problems to set up. The can be stem mounted too - just remove part of the base & glue the remains of the base to your stem.

I've had a Polar CS200 for the past 2 years and although it has heart rate etc I'm giving up on it (like I did with the Polar S150) as not being reliable enough and realising that I don't need nor do I do justice to a heart rate monitor (& I figure most people don't use them properly either):rolleyes: .

You really need to decide what functions you want. The most basic computers will just count front wheel rotations and work out speed, distance, average speed, trip time etc. If that is all you want then the prices are low and you might as well get a wireless one (I don't know if anyone still makes a wired "basic" computer.)

But many people want some or all additional features such as pedal cadence, heart rate, GPS mapping or even power output. The combinations on offer get quite complicated then.

A good intermediate solution is wireless speed and wireless cadence. I use the Sigma BC-1606 DTS. About $US70 from online stores. Has worked flawlessly for me. They also do a cheaper version with wired cadence, but you'd fit it, look at the ugly wires and say "why didn't I spend $20 extra and get wireless".

You can fit a bike computer yourself uless you are the sort of person who doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to pick up.

Scirocco is right about getting wireless. There are a lot less hassles with them. The only problem I ever had was when my Shimano Flightdeck showed my max speed at 130 mph after I passed an electrical substation. I thought I at least hit 150!:D They can experience some interference from electrical stations, and sometimes from other riders who don't have their equipment properly aligned.

Anyway, figure out what functions you want and see what fills your bill. Just remember, the more funtions that you get, the higher the price gets. Also, with cadence counters, the installation and alignment gets a little more complicated.

I used to race but I am just a recreational rider now and all that I really want is current speed, trip odometer, total odometer, and time. I already know what a 90+ cadence feels like. I went with the Shimano Flightdeck as it was offered free as a sales incentive and it does all and more of what I wanted. It only works with Flightdeck compatible brifter handles though.

Yup, have your wife decide what information she would like to have. Wireless has a cleaner installation (no wires wrapped here and there), but tends to have an occasional interference problem and will usually eat batteries a bit faster. Wired is cheaper and a tad more reliable but has wires running all over the place (especially if you decide to include cadence).

FWIW I am currently riding with a Polar CS200 HR/cadence and it is more than enough. I am actually taking off the cadence unit - as others have said, after riding a while you know what your cadence is.

I had very good experience with a basic wireless VDO unit, so I strongly recommend them (no HR or cadence). Better than Polar, IMHO.

FYI, if you go wireless, look for something operating in the 2.4 GHz band. A lot of new wireless 'puters are working there because of the more narrow spectrum of powerful electromagnetic signals (aka, interference).

I had a Polar CS200, and it was reliable the vast majority of the time; however there were a couple of specific points in my area where I would have interference issues. Now that I have a system that operates at 2.4 GHz, I have encountered zero interference.

alienator said:
FYI, if you go wireless, look for something operating in the 2.4 GHz band. A lot of new wireless 'puters are working there because of the more narrow spectrum of powerful electromagnetic signals (aka, interference).

I had a Polar CS200, and it was reliable the vast majority of the time; however there were a couple of specific points in my area where I would have interference issues. Now that I have a system that operates at 2.4 GHz, I have encountered zero interference.
Out of curiosity Alienator, what have you gone with to replace your CS200?

Powerful Pete said:
Out of curiosity Alienator, what have you gone with to replace your CS200?

The first was an iBike, and now I'm using an iBike Gen II.

I find Cadence if not helpful then interesting. Its interesting seeing how low my cadence gets on my SS going up steep hills & how fast I can get my Cadence up to.
Wires (even for set ups with Cadence) can easily be taped out of the way. Use a tape that is the same colour as the bike frame:)

Powerful Pete said:
Yup, have your wife decide what information she would like to have. Wireless has a cleaner installation (no wires wrapped here and there), but tends to have an occasional interference problem and will usually eat batteries a bit faster. Wired is cheaper and a tad more reliable but has wires running all over the place (especially if you decide to include cadence).

FWIW I am currently riding with a Polar CS200 HR/cadence and it is more than enough. I am actually taking off the cadence unit - as others have said, after riding a while you know what your cadence is.

I had very good experience with a basic wireless VDO unit, so I strongly recommend them (no HR or cadence). Better than Polar, IMHO.

Bigbananabike said:
I find Cadence if not helpful then interesting. Its interesting seeing how low my cadence gets on my SS going up steep hills & how fast I can get my Cadence up to.
Wires (even for set ups with Cadence) can easily be taped out of the way. Use a tape that is the same colour as the bike frame:)

Tape works.....depending on where you live. In the desert heat, tape loses its grip.

I use Araldite glue where the wire is visible (running up a brake cable say) and tape on frame tubing but it could be glued on both places.
The electrical tape looses it's grip after a couple of wet winters and has to be redone. The Araldite'd wire - just stays there:)

alienator said:
Tape works.....depending on where you live. In the desert heat, tape loses its grip.

True that tape works, but it tends to be a pain the in the behind. I prefer wireless setups for their... well... setup. Clip the sensors on and start the computer up.

Powerful Pete said:
True that tape works, but it tends to be a pain the in the behind. I prefer wireless setups for their... well... setup. Clip the sensors on and start the computer up.

The new generation of wireless 'puters are way beyond the ol' wireless bits. The wireless iBike uses fewer electrons than the wired flavor.

I have found, though, that a wireless computer can be killed if the wife puts it through the washing machine while doing laundry.

alienator said:
The new generation of wireless 'puters are way beyond the ol' wireless bits. The wireless iBike uses fewer electrons than the wired flavor.

I have found, though, that a wireless computer can be killed if the wife puts it through the washing machine while doing laundry.
My Garmin Edge 305 survived a washing machine incident, but was finally sent for repair after I felt the need to throw the bike off the edge of a cliff. It mostly still worked, but the mode button broke off the circuit board. Which pretty much made it unusable.

Used it as an excuse to get on of them tasty Garmin Edge 705 HR/CAD with topo maps, so I might know where the cliffs are (OK I was struggling for an excuse and it is so shiney shiney). It is, without doubt, the dogs dangly bits.

alienator said:
Would you mind giving a quick opinion of the i-bike please? Have sort of been thinking about one but cannot find many reviews.:)

alienator said:
Interesting, I had never heard of it and had to google the darn thing. I do not believe it is sold in Europe (or at least, I have never run across it). Tell us more, please...

Powerful Pete said:
Interesting, I had never heard of it and had to google the darn thing. I do not believe it is sold in Europe (or at least, I have never run across it). Tell us more, please...

What to tell......instead of using strain sensors to calculate power, like SRM and PT, chain tension, as on Polar's unit, or a laser to measure BB twist, as on Ergomo, iBike uses accelerometers and a pressure sensor to provide data for the power calculation. It's an indirect measurement, but so are all of the others. It uses that data to solve the equation of motion for the bike rider system.

They're onto their second generation iBike computer and have just released an iAero, which does all that iBike does but adds on the fly calculation of CdA for those wanting to see the difference that equipment and position make. Firmware and software of evolved even more quickly.

The unit gives you the usual data, recorded at either 1 or 5 sec intervals (cadence, HR, speed, blah, blah, blah), as well as elevation, elevation gain, road slope, temp.......

Apparently Marianne Vos is training with one. I don't know if that means anything, but if she and I are ever trapped on a desert island with a pair of bisexual sorority girls, we'll have another thing we can talk about.

LOL! Kills me; the people that talk about ugly and/or messy wires. Give me a break! The installation is only messy or ugly if you don't take your time and give some thought to wire placement. Then again, some folks don't want to be concerned with such trivial matters...

Anyway, not having to be concerned about inconsistent readings from either interference or low batteries, as well as the lower cost of wired units, tips the scales in their favor for me. I race so consistency and reliability of information are the most important criteria for me...

tonyzackery said:
LOL! Kills me; the people that talk about ugly and/or messy wires. Give me a break! The installation is only messy or ugly if you don't take your time and give some thought to wire placement. Then again, some folks don't want to be concerned with such trivial matters...

Anyway, not having to be concerned about inconsistent readings from either interference or low batteries, as well as the lower cost of wired units, tips the scales in their favor for me. I race so consistency and reliability of information are the most important criteria for me...

Apparently, people are finding wireless computers that are just as reliable, consistent, and battery efficient as wired units. Hmmmmm. Imagine that.

"Trivial." Cool. I'm guessing everyone missed your nomination to the Cycling Sense and Attitude supreme court.

You race? AWESOME!!!!!!!! Can you regale us with some of your spine tingling racing exploits? You must really live on the edge and stuff. Is their a blog or a news outlet with which we can follow your racing career?

tonyzackery said:

Now I am just waiting for someone to claim that wireless are more aerodynamic than wired units:rolleyes:.