Computer question

kdelong said:
Now I am just waiting for someone to claim that wireless are more aerodynamic than wired units:rolleyes:.

Now, why would they do that? Surely they would know such claims would run afoul of your fountain of knowledge.

alienator said:
Apparently, people are finding wireless computers that are just as reliable, consistent, and battery efficient as wired units.
Yes, the battery efficiency of some wireless units can be perfectly fine. (An earlier comment in the thread suggested that they could chew through batteries). Perhaps some do, but I am now into the third year of daily use of my Sigma 1606. I have not touched the speed sensor battery and the cadence sensor has needed one new battery.

As far as reliability of the wireless unit is concerned, I have never experienced any dropout or interference. Compare that with the separate Polar HRM I use that regularly drops out alongside the overhead railway power lines.

tonyzachery said:
LOL! Kills me; the people that talk about ugly and/or messy wires. Give me a break! The installation is only messy or ugly if you don't take your time and give some thought to wire placement. Then again, some folks don't want to be concerned with such trivial matters...
I could relate to that if the wireless units were a lot more expensive than the wired counterparts. But they aren't. Proportionately, maybe, but not in dollar terms - well, how much is your time worth?

As for ugly, well, I think the post about Araldite and electrical tape that you need to replace pretty much sums that up.

tonyzackery said:
LOL! Kills me; the people that talk about ugly and/or messy wires. Give me a break! The installation is only messy or ugly if you don't take your time and give some thought to wire placement. Then again, some folks don't want to be concerned with such trivial matters...

Anyway, not having to be concerned about inconsistent readings from either interference or low batteries, as well as the lower cost of wired units, tips the scales in their favor for me. I race so consistency and reliability of information are the most important criteria for me...
You are right, I could not be bothered with wired installation and getting it 'just right'.

Wireless is plenty accurate for me. I regularly ride a military airbase here and every so often some jet is coming in for a landing or playing shoot the bad guys and the reading goes haywire for a few seconds. Happens two/three times a year.

Personally, I love to show my buddies that my max speed during that particular ride was 104kp/h. :cool:

And although I no longer race, I must admit that my wireless unit gives me more than enough data reliability for my requirements. I might add that some other people I occasionally ride with (on their very slow and easy day and my 'super-duper' hard day) who regularly ride and place in Gran Fondos, also seem to be able to cope with the poor data reliability of their wireless units. They must not realise how their training regimen is utterly jeopardised by this issue...

Apparently, given the level of minute detail you require this cannot be considered adequate. But now I realise why wired units can still be found. And choice in the market is always a good thing. :)

Powerful Pete said:
Apparently, given the level of minute detail you require this cannot be considered adequate. But now I realise why wired units can still be found. And choice in the market is always a good thing. :)

Imagine all the poor slobs that have to make do with wireless SRM or wireless PowerTap. What the hell are they thinkin'?

alienator said:
Apparently, people are finding wireless computers that are just as reliable, consistent, and battery efficient as wired units. Hmmmmm. Imagine that.

"Trivial." Cool. I'm guessing everyone missed your nomination to the Cycling Sense and Attitude supreme court.

You race? AWESOME!!!!!!!! Can you regale us with some of your spine tingling racing exploits? You must really live on the edge and stuff. Is their a blog or a news outlet with which we can follow your racing career?
LOL! Your constant bad attitude is amusing to me now that I've had the opportunity peruse your work over time...

In the future, don't take personal offense to my comments as they were not directed to you...Peace.

And you can have the last word on this...I don't need it...

tonyzackery said:
LOL! Your constant bad attitude is amusing to me now that I've had the opportunity peruse your work over time...

In the future, don't take personal offense to my comments as they were not directed to you...Peace.

And you can have the last word on this...I don't need it...

Oh, I'm flattered that you read a few thousand posts, but you really shouldn't have. Where exactly did you get "offense" from?

I went with the Cateye V3 for my first cyclo computer (their term). Set up was very easy with clear instructions. The unit operates wireless heart rate, cadence and speed at 2.4GHz. After 700 miles there have been no problems. Highly recommended.