Computer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gaspare, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Gaspare

Gaspare New Member

Im looking for a computer, I don't need anything too fancy...what is the best "bang for the buck" out there?

Tags:

2. bknaus

bknaus New Member

I see a ton of people using Cateye products and have used them on a couple bikes. I think of them as the name to compare to since they're everywhere. The Cateye Strada is nice and can be found for <$40 and is used by most of my friends. The things you have to consider is whether you want wireless/wired and what functions you want. Just speed and mileage? How about cadence? Etc, etc. I personally use the VDO X1DW CAD (http://www.wiggle.com/vdo-x1dw-cad-digital-wireless-cycle-computer/) and really like it. It came out cheaper than the equivalent Cateye and I have 900 miles on it without a problem so far. The nice thing is a lot of the computers can be bought without cadence attachments to save money and if you decide you want it later on you can buy just the cadence parts to add on to your current computer (the VDO has this option).

3. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Cateye Strada Wireless or Double-Wireless in the basic units.

Cateye Stealth 50 in a GPS / ANT+ for mapping, altitude and power capabilities in addition to the usual functions.

4. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

I gotta say, I've been fairly happy with the Double Wireless. One of the selling points for me was to not have unsightly wires strung all over my bike. The wireless connectivity can be a little finicky, but generally, once you get it working, it continues to do so. I find that a couple drops of super glue at the sensor/frame junction after it's in place and working help hold it without being permanent. That may damage paint, though (I have an unpainted Ti frame, so I don't have to worry about that!)

5. vspa

vspa Active Member

cateye's meets your description,

6. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Yeah, pay a little more for wireless. The only reason I had to replace my first Cateye was because the wire broke.

7. Cairns

Cairns New Member

I have the cateye strata cadence wireless which I just installed and took on its first ride yesterday. Half way through my 60 mile ride, it stopped picking up cadence. Not sure what changed but nothing looks off kilter. Thoughts? Should I just move the sensor around until it picks up again? While it was working it was a big help to know my cadence, which is why I got it since I use my garmin forerunner for route and distance info.

8. vspa

vspa Active Member

yes move the sensor closer to the crankarm first, test it in different roads, wireless transmition could get jammed by cell phone antennas, or high voltage posts, etc if that doesn't work reset the unit by moving the battery,

9. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

Like I said above, the wireless units are finicky. My display would not work correctly when it was mounted on my handlebars. I moved it to the stem and it was fine--a move of about 3" relative to the sending unit. Also, read the instructions--the clearances between the magnets (on the spokes and/or crankarm) and the sensor (on the chainstay) is critical. When they say 3mm, they mean it!

10. Cairns

Cairns New Member

Looks like the sensor shifted. I. Must have tapped it when I nearly spilled getting off bike (knee gave out after a long ride). Pushed it back and it is working fine now. Might go the lock tite route if it moves again. Thanks for the pointers. It's a great little computer for the price.