Computer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by camhabib, Jul 17, 2005.

1. camhabib

camhabib New Member

Looking for a new bike computer. Took a quick look and found a few options but I'm still unsure of what to get. I would like something that is under or around $200 USD (not retail but $200 on eBay or online someplace), packed full of features, easy to use, and a quality product. Cadence would be nice but is not necessary. I found the Polar S720i, Polar CS200cad, and the Cat Eye Double Wireless (all bellow $200 on eBay). I like the idea of the watch, however the heart rate would really be a waste for me.

Any suggestions or names of computers either you use or have herd are good I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.

-Cameron

Tags:

2. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

Have a look at the mavic range. They are quite rare still but they are very well put together and have loads of features.

Cheers

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Obviously, you're price sensitive. But, you're not interested in the functions most useful for serious training (HRM, cadence). Frankly, I'd go old school and save my money and ride without a computer. The most important thing in the early days of training is time on the bike, not speed or distance. You can tell that with a wristwatch. You can manage the intensity of your effort with RPE (Rating of Perceived Exertion). You can cross-check your cadence by counting your strokes for 6 seconds and multiply x 10. When you can afford it, skip the bike computer and get a power meter.

4. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Are you on drugs? I can't hardly find a cycle computer on eBay for over $99 unless you require HRM, an altimeter or both

If you do want a computer, and heart rate isn't of interest, and cadence isn't too important, then I would suggest lowering your price range a LOT! You can get most of what you will use in a $10 Cateye. If you need wireless, increase that slightly.

What you would gain is the ability to replace a stolen computer 20 times for the same price as you think you should spend for one.

Of course, this assumes that your needs and desires are the same as mine...

I have a seperate HRM (dead battery right now), and spend some of my time watching the clock on my Cateye to compute my cadence, but other than that, current speed, average speed, time of ride, max speed, two trip odometers, and a master odometer provides me all that I need to figure out more information than I need.

If what I use doesn't fit what you need, and you don't require HRM or cadence, then what features draw you to the higher end models? I ask because I could really be missing out on something I would find useful.

5. Stickboy

Stickboy New Member

I have a CatEye Astrale 8 and love it. It does not do Heart Rate, but that is why I have a Nike Triax.

For $32.00 I could not go wrong ... :)

6. cuervo

cuervo New Member

My sugestion is go for the S720 Polar.

Maybe you think it's a waste, but if you learn how to use it and how to train with it, it will make wonders to your cycling capacity.