Computer w/ rear wheel transmitter and cadence?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RK3, Nov 6, 2003.

1. RK3

RK3 New Member

Hi All,

I've been having trouble finding cycling computers that have a rear wheel transmitter and cadence function. The only one I've been able to find is the Avocet 45tt. Does anyone know of any others?

RK3

Tags:

2. dave602z

dave602z New Member

Cateye Astrale 8

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/Cateye_Astrale_8_128.asp

Only had it a week or so seems ok

Dave

3. RK3

RK3 New Member

Thanks. I saw this one but the description says "Now with front wheel speed sensor". So it really has a rear wheel sensor?

RK3

4. Ted B

Ted B New Member

I have the Astrale 8, and it does measure actual cadence. But, in your original post, you mentioned a rear wheel transmitter . If you want a computer with wireless cadence capability, you will need something like the Vetta V100 wireless unit.

5. dave602z

dave602z New Member

They made a bit of an error when they redesigned it, and put the speed sensor on the front. I think they recalled them and rectified there mistake.

Mine is on the back wheel ( and is the new design, in fact I bought it from the shop that I hyperlinked in my first reply)), so if you are thinking of buying one, just ask them to whip it out of the box and check it's not old stock.

One small niggle I have with mine (not sure if it's all Cateyes) is in the morning when its cold say less than 3 degrees, the thing fogs up, making it difficult to read the display.

Dave

6. gw709

gw709 New Member

i have the astrale CC-CD100

it has wired rear wheel speed sensor & real time cadence meter

only winges I have is that it doesn't record max & average cadence, that there is no indicator showing if your current speed is greater or less than your average and that you can't pause the recording to confirm times etc when in auto mode

other than that it's pretty good

gavin

7. Leon

Leon New Member

I have got my Polar speed sensor on the rear wheel. Work fine.

Leon

8. rv

rv New Member

I have a ciclosport, last year's, model cm212 plus...price and feature-wise similar to the cm213c.

http://www.ciclosportusa.com/cyclometers.htm

wired speed and cadence, both on rear wheel. wanted wired because I think my wireless on my other bike sometimes messes up my hr monitor. I like mine except that the buttons rattle some on bumpy roads. but I'd probably buy another.

9. king_matt87

king_matt87 New Member

If ur using campagnolo the ergo barin is teh way the orgnal dose not ahev teh rear wheels sensore but when buying it arsk for 2 cadence wires they simply attach to teh head unit under a screw it's a shame there arn't more speedo's out the were u can have both cadence and speed on the back i know that shimano said that one sensore up frot keeps it neat crap it all about how u wire it up keep teh wires neat and it looks good

10. mikeo

mikeo New Member

I have a Cateye Astrale 8 that has been on several bikes (I had to repair the wiring after it had been through the chainwheel on my son's mountain bike) Works well after I sorted out a spoke magnet positioning & fixing issue. I like the rear wheel speed sensor as I get a reading on my trainer (doesn't mean much but keeps me amused, but that's when I usually use the cadence function) - good for testing setup though. It doesn't have an average cadence, maximum & minimum would be good too. Running the cabling is a bit of a pain, I ended up using little bits of clear tape to secure it to the underneath of the down tube and inside the chain stay. Cordless rear wheel and cadence would be really nice especially in a budget model!

11. RK3

RK3 New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

RK3

12. drewski

drewski New Member

the performance Axiom 8.0c meets your needs as well. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=4024

i know that VDO (german manufacturer that i know of more for automobile gauges) makes their Axiom A08 & A10 computers. not sure if they make this one too.

13. drewski

drewski New Member

looks like VDO's Sprint Plus model http://cambriabike.com/SALE/computers/index.htm

$21 on sale vs $27 for the performance branded one.

don't know why none of VDO's newer computers seem to have cadence though . . .