Computer with HRM & Cadence...Suggestions?

MatthewSeattle

Jul 15, 2003
Looking for a relatively inexpensive Computer that has both a Heart Rate Monitor and Cadence function.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MaTT

You'll pay about 350 euro for a Polar 710 + cadence meter. Depends what you call inexpensive. I think the HRM is invaluble. Very good for indoor training...

Originally posted by MatthewSeattle
Looking for a relatively inexpensive Computer that has both a Heart Rate Monitor and Cadence function.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MaTT

The Polar s720i. http://www.polarusa.com/Products/consumer/s720.asp I found one brand new on ebay for $210 USD (retail is over $300.)Download exercises to a PC, using IR, simple and reliable. Allows me to track progress and journal my rides or other aerobic activities. The Cadence is a low cost optional piece ($30 USD). I have used others, this one so far has been best performance and value. Good features which is why it's up in the price range it's in. If all you need is heart-rate and cadence, you can probably get something for a lot less.

The price of the S710 is only really justified if you want to use the software that's provided with it, where you can take full advantage of the speed/HR/altitude/cadence measurements being logged together. The software also makes doing a training log (and associated analysis) a snap.

If none of that interests you, and you're just looking for something to see what your heart rate is when on the bike, you might find yourself better off by just buying a normal cyclocomputer with cadence, and a lower-end HRM.

Best bet is to buy a used S710/720, IMO :) I got my S710+serial link-kit second-hand for about the same price as a separate new Cateye Astrale, and new Polar M-51.. and I get all the advantages of the S-series software to boot.

There are also other options, such as a Ciclosport HAC4 (heard good things about them too .. a forum search will bring up the posts) or the Cateye HRM computer (I've heard that this isn't the easiest thing in the world to use, though.)

Hi Matt,

I'm in that same dilemna as you and looking for a monitor that basically does all... I tried to go the moderate expense route but there were always things that sounded like they would be very useful later on that were available only on the higher end models.

I read many MANY reviews of the HAC4 vs the S710 and the two points that are always consistent are:

1) The HAC4 is an excellent cyclocomputer with a HRM and the Polar 710 is an excellent HRM with a cyclocomputer...

and

2) the power output (wattage) measurement of the HAC4 is useless because the results are "derived", whereas the Polar 710 power output measurement is much more accurate, but you have to spend $300 for the add-on...

What has me stymied at the moment is that there is talk that the Polar 720i has "addressed" many of the issues that made their 710 cyclocomputer so disliked (lengthening the amount of time for "stops" and display of trip distance on the display instead of only from the download etc...)

If its true (and haven't found reviews that say it is) I think the Polar unit might be the more useful piece... Wish I could have a chance to fiddle with both before purchasing...

Have a good one!

Feanor