Computers and HRMs

Alias

Jun 20, 2006
What is your combination for your computer and/or HRM?
I use a cateye micro wireless computer, with a Polar S120 HRM. I've had the S120 for a few years now and i'm in need for cycling functions, maybe the cs200, or 725x. Any suggestions?
I spend a bit of time on the trainer at the moment, is there any wireless systems that will work from the back wheel?
I've been thinking about the shimano flightdeck to go with my 105, 10 spd.
Is there any other brands i should look at other than shimano, you seem to pay for the name.

Alias said:
I use a cateye micro wireless computer, with a Polar S120 HRM. I've had the S120 for a few years now and i'm in need for cycling functions, maybe the cs200, or 725x. Any suggestions?
I spend a bit of time on the trainer at the moment, is there any wireless systems that will work from the back wheel?
Is there any other brands i should look at other than shimano, you seem to pay for the name.
I'd go for the S725X. You can use it on your back wheel. I don't know when Polar releases new products but isn't quite often in September? The 720-family is a bit dated now and rumor has it that something new will appear for next season. Maybe you should wait for interbike or so to see if there is some new cool stuff or if the prices will drop for the current computers?

I use the Polar 725i (actually, think it is the X since it has the faux carbon shell). Before that owned the Polar Vantage XL, which also recorded HR info at set intervals so you could download workouts.

To me that is worth the extra money so I can have a complete digital log of my workouts that I can refer back to. I like looking at specific routes and comparing workouts over time to see my changes.

You get all this info, including ascent (vertical feet climbed)

hrsample.jpg

Alias said:
I've had a Sports Instruments SI90HR for a few years. It does heart rate and speed/distance. I think the newer version has HR training zones. Other than that, it's as simple as you can get. I don't think you can do much better for $70.

I'd want cadence and downloadable training data before I spent any more money than that.