Computers - need advice!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bowdaddy, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Bowdaddy

Bowdaddy New Member

I'm in the market for a new bike computer. Are there any computers with software for PC or Mac other than Ciclio HAC4 and Polar 720i (725i)? I like that the Polar is wireless...but its bulky and heavy. I really like the new Cateye Dual wireless computer but it doesn't have HR or software for your home computer. Any suggestions?

Tags:

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

One of the new Cateye Double Wireless models has both HR as well as all the other features (CC-HR200DW), but as you say they aren't downloadable to a computer. I use the Polar S520 that has both bike and HR functions and is downloadable. In my opinion, the ability to transfer, save and track workouts far outweighs the *slight* bulkiness of the Polar computers (which in reality are no larger than the Cateye or Ciclosport models--Atomic Mount makes a mount for Polar so you can take off the straps too).

Jeff

3. Cruzzer08

Cruzzer08 New Member

I use a Magellan Meridian Gold GPS with a bike mount. It is the ulimate, maping, alltitude, speed, distance ect... tool you can get. Its kinda bulky but its always dead on acurate with a huge customizable display. GPS $200, mount $30. Looking at the vertical profile is awesome if your a climber. It syncs with the computer and has expandable memory for maping, downloads, and additonal features. You cant buy a bicycle computer that will even get close to the functionability that this thing has, think outside the box.

4. Bowdaddy

Bowdaddy New Member

No cadence or hr function. My neighbor uses one of these for mtn biking and likes it a lot. It's not what I'm looking for though. But thanks

5. chuy

chuy New Member

polar s720i are a bit expensive but it's well worth the price with it's used as a training tool especially with the power addon. however if this is what you're looking for i'd wait for the s725i basically the same thing as s720 but looks better and has the ability to upload data to a phone which seems like a dumb idea to me (analyzing date on a 2 X 2 inch screen?).

there are a few minior drawbacks with the s720i that have been discussed in other threads.

6. Randybaker99

Randybaker99 New Member

If you really want to download data, that limits your options to a handful and the cost goes way up. If you want cadence and HR without downloading then you can pick from dozens of great choices and do it all for under $100. My approach was to go with an inexpensive Cateye Astrale (at $20 - a great little computer) and an off-brand HR monitor for about $50.

At $99 The Specialized Turbo Pro is cool, (http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=6820&JServSessionIdroot=22sp8rxkf6.j27004) but they seem to be having a production problem with them because they haven't been "in stock" for quite while.

Rather than messing with downloading software, I just enter the data into an Excel spreadsheet and I have more than enough data to analyze. Now I am saving my pennies for a PowerTap (about $700-1000). IMO, training with Power is the right way to go - spending several hundred $$ on gathering and downloading Heart Rate data doesn't seem like the right way to go, for me.

7. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

the new cateye has HR and all the bells and whistles and is downloadable, model CC-TR100. theres also the specialized pbrain. i think that one comes with an altimeter as well.

8. simreg

simreg New Member

This is very true, but don't forget that $300 is a lot less than $700. Downloadable HRMs are very nice if you have a coach: he can look at your ride data. Granted, power + HR is much better than HR alone, but if you've on a budget, HR is better than nothing. With the Polar, you have an upgrade path. Not the best, but the option is there.

Save up for the PowerTap, but if you cannot afford it, the 720i is a very nice training tool. Hopefully power training will become affordable for everyone soon :)