Computer's with Cadence function (newbie question)

dommyk

Aug 11, 2007
Hi all,

Im new to cycling, road bikes to be specific. Im interested in purchasing a cycle computer with the cadence feature.

After much searching on torpedo7 and ebay I am still confused about what I get when I buy a computer with cadence. Does it come with the computer as a package i.e. looking at the Sigma 1606 L - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SMCUCNN6L

Or do I have to buy a cadence kit ontop of the computer itself. I dont really want to spend that much money on the computer (as im still new to cycling) I'm looking around the $50 mark. If not ill just stick to the basic computers.

Also do you guys think wireless is any good? is worth the money? As I see its around $100+ (or more if a cadence kit is also needed)

Thanks! this site is great and cycling is even better :) any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have an old cateye astrale it has cadence and I use this feature every time I ride. Wireless is easier to install i.e. no wires. A wired computer only has one battery.
Ive had my computer on three bikes over 14 years.
My advice:-
* If you can afford it get one with heart rate aswell as cadence, these will all most likely be wireless
* If you don't go the heart rate option and want years of trouble free service and dont mind a bit of fiddleing just go wired it will be cheaper
* If you wish to use he same speedo on multiple bikes go wireless and then buy a few extra sensors.

Good luck

Dean Thomas said:
I have an old cateye astrale it has cadence and I use this feature every time I ride. Wireless is easier to install i.e. no wires. A wired computer only has one battery.
Ive had my computer on three bikes over 14 years.
My advice:-
* If you can afford it get one with heart rate aswell as cadence, these will all most likely be wireless
* If you don't go the heart rate option and want years of trouble free service and dont mind a bit of fiddleing just go wired it will be cheaper
* If you wish to use he same speedo on multiple bikes go wireless and then buy a few extra sensors.

Good luck
Thanks for ur comment Dean. I'll have to keep the wireless option open. Just checked up on the heart rate/cadence combo.. they are quite rich. most probably will have to forgo that option... for now

like the above poster, I use the Cateye Astrale 8. It's wired, but a rear wheel pickup for speed, so it's actually not that noticable except for the wire coils running down the front brake cable housing.

I've used both wireless and wired. Wireless does require an extra battery, and really doesn't make all that huge a difference once set up. Cateye charges $20 for an additional sensor if you wish to use it on multiple bikes, which is ridiculous considering most of these units can be had for ~$30.

My shop sells the Astrale 8 for $30, so I'm sure you can find it around for that price. Not bad considering its' got cadance.

dommyk said:
Hi all,

Im new to cycling, road bikes to be specific. Im interested in purchasing a cycle computer with the cadence feature.

After much searching on torpedo7 and ebay I am still confused about what I get when I buy a computer with cadence. Does it come with the computer as a package i.e. looking at the Sigma 1606 L - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SMCUCNN6L

Or do I have to buy a cadence kit ontop of the computer itself. I dont really want to spend that much money on the computer (as im still new to cycling) I'm looking around the $50 mark. If not ill just stick to the basic computers.

Also do you guys think wireless is any good? is worth the money? As I see its around $100+ (or more if a cadence kit is also needed)

Thanks! this site is great and cycling is even better :) any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!
If you're a newby and have Flight Deck compatable shifters (shimano - should say on the shifter; most current versions are) consider buying the Flight deck computer. It has many functions, some of which I think might be even more valuable to a new rider:

Typical wired or wireless versions for speed sensor.

Cadence function without need for any additional wiring or sensor. It calculates and displays cadence based on your speed and the gear your in rather than measuring pedal strokes. This in itself is not any better (or worse, imho) than normal computers, but it does not require an additional wired or wirless sensor to count pedal strokes. It is based on speed sensor (above) and gear sensor (see below)

It senses what front and rear gears you're in and has a graphic display with that info. I find this very handy, and think a newby would benefit from even more.

Control buttons are right on the hoods so you don't have to reach to the computer to change display or functions. Again, something I really like and I think a newby would benefit from even more.

Has all other "normal" bike computer functions: clock, current speed, elapsed time, current distance, average speed, odometer, maximum speed, and also lap and other functions that I never use but are there if needed.

Just a thought.

dommyk said:
Hi all,

I would say have a look at the Union computers they sell. Heart rate, cadence, etc. Pretty cheap but i don't think they are all that bad. A bloke in our club just bought one and says it is pretty good. The sigma you where looking at is without cadence by the way. You would have to buy that seperately. Other wise check out this shop http://stores.ebay.com.au/Wheel751-bicycle-goodies the title's of the items let you know which has cadence and so on. :)

Dean Thomas said:
You could just buy new harnesses/wiring kits for a wired head unit.

A whole lot cheaper than multiple wireless sensors.

n

On my commuter bike I use a Cateye Astrale 8 which I like as the cadence is really large and easy to see, and when commuting I like to make sure I'm not letting my legs get bad habits. On others I have a Garmin edge 305 which is easy to swap between bikes, and you can get lots of information on the screen at once, the unit mounts are the hardest spare parts to get. I also have a Polar 725x: the cadence unit I found to be flaky even when modified to transmit a stronger signal so it's not fitted to anything any longer, but the full power measuring set up, which is wired, is quite good, if you don't get too distracted pressing buttons all the time.

The Astrale provides what you need at an affordable price. Wiring is not a major issue. I particularly like the rear wheel pickup for speed when I put my bike on a trainer.