Computers with Cadence

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by AussieRob, Jul 5, 2005.

1. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member

I am looking at geting a computer with cadence because I don't want to shell out for power tap just yet. I have been looking around and I am getting so many conflicting reviews. I have Campy, so that rules out filight deck. If anyone has used:

Ergo Brain
    Cateye Wireless
    Mavic (you know the wireless one with cadence)
    Vetta V-100

for more than a couple of months let me know what you think. I don't really need HR, I just want time, speed, dist and cadence.

Thanks

Tags:

2. FrankBattle

FrankBattle New Member

Sounds like you are set on the wireless. Should you decide not to go wireless, I have both the Cateye Astrale 8 and the Sigma Sport BC1600. They both have cadence readouts, plus all the staples. Love them both. Never had a problem.

3. RSSrsvp

RSSrsvp New Member

I have the Astrale 8 which works just fine and it is extremely inexpensive! :)

4. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Why not HR? :confused:

5. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member

I have nothing agains HR, but I already have a polar watch so...

It looks like Cateye might be the way to go Astrale 8, CC-TR100 or CC-CD 300DW which is $130 ish and wireless.

Thanks for your advice

6. kennf

kennf New Member

Polar is coming out with a wireless cyclometer/HR monitor with wireless cadence. I think it's called a CS200cad. Available in a few weeks.

I got a Cateye CD300DW and could not for the life of me figure out how to make it work on a Trek carbon fiber frame due to clearence problems with the sensors.

7. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

The Cateye Wireless mounts on the chainstays kind of goofy. I have a Litespeed Ghisallo and the bowed chainstay made it tight. My buddy rides an Orbea ORCA and it took us twenty minutes and had to angle it just so. However, once set, the Cateye rocks. It's got ALL of the information at your fingertips - Speed, Cadence (average, max & tota), Time, Distance, Time of Day, etc. I also bought the remote buttons ($15) and installed them under the bar tape. It's great for counting laps at the crit as you don't need to pull your hands off the hoods. You can program the remote buttons to change any of the views.

The only bad thing about the CD300 is that it interferes big time with all of the Polar Heart Rate monitors. I literally tried every polar at my bike shop and even the high-end S725 couldn't get a consistent read. Cateye is supposed to have a wireless speed, cadence and HR out sometime soon. It's called the TR100 but it was supposed to be out a year ago.

Polar's S200 is due out shortly but I've never been a fan of Polar's display. Good luck!

8. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

There are plenty of nice Computers on the Market, we have to decide on one so I went for the Mavic Wintech with Cadence...
    It's a very neat installation, the Computer mounts on the Stem, the transmitter is the front Skewer and I have my cadence reader mounted on the Seat Post....the magnet attaches to the inside end of the Pedal Spindle...so it's invisible basically...

It does everything you're asking for, plus the Magnet is made for (my) Ksyrium SL Spokes....

All in all, it's a neat and simple instalation, very reliable so far after over 1000 miles but not inexpensive, I think mine was $150 but they're probably ebayerable...

Hope this helps

Cannondale Six13 Team Replica.

9. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

if you have a polar, cant you just get their cadence add on?

10. larry17canal

larry17canal New Member

Does anyone have an update on the Cateye cc-tr100. I am considering the cc-tr100 and the polar cs200cad. I have always had good resutls with Cateye. I had allot of problems with the Polar 700 series and ending up abandoning it.

11. Rudy

Rudy New Member

I just ordered the Polar CS200CAD and it's due to arrive today. It has HRM, Cycling computer, cadence etc... and a bunch of other features.

From what I've read, the cs200 and cs200cad eliminate some of the interference problems that some other computers have had. See this thread:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8055&highlight=cs200cad

I'll let you know how this unit perform once I got a chance to use mine.

12. larry17canal

larry17canal New Member

Thanks for the reply. I will wait for your verdict on the polar. Can you use it on a trainer ie is the speed sensor on the front or back?

13. Rudy

Rudy New Member

Unfortunately, I don't think you can. The unit won't be able to pick up the signal from that far back. I believe i read this from somewhere else as well....I'm not sure if there are any units out there that can be used on the trainer (rear wheel mount).

Of course I'll know more once I receive the unit & go over the owner's manual.....when I get home from work today.

If you know where I live, heck you can probably come by and pick up the unit for free :p since they'll probably leave it on the porch :mad:

14. impakt

impakt New Member

you are correct. the cs200 cant be used on a trainer..the distance is too great.

I actually got my s-series speed sensor to work on my rear wheel.. you can crack that sucker open and increase the range. the cs200 sensor cannot be opened nor can the range be increased

Where did you purchase your cs200? They are on backorder till the end of this month through polar.

i too would suggest to anything thinking about it to go with the cs200.. if you dont like the display of other polars this one is 110% different. i find the display awsome.. i been using mine since january and i almost completly put my s725/power output kit in the garage.

15. Rudy

Rudy New Member

I ordered it here...

http://www.jomashop.com/polar-cs200cad.html?source=froogle&kw=polar-cs200cad

I placed the order on Sunday with ground shipping and received it today. I thought that was a quick turn around.

Came home late from work today and finally got around to installing the CS200CAD. It is basically a CS200 with the cadence added to the total package.

My first impresion is that...the sensor on the Polar is weaker than my cateye micro. The magnet and sensor for the speed had to be within 4mm of each other. That's very narrow and I had to install the sensor/magnet closer to the rim to make it look decent.
    The magnet and cadence sensor had to be within 7mm of each other. If you're outside of these ranges, the units simply won't work.

I'm still getting used to the interface of this unit. The HR seems to be very good as it picks up my HR and display it instantly. The cadence took a few seconds to get going.

The manual/instructions is much more informative than typical Cateye's.

Anyway, as soon as I log in some mileage, I'll post the results. But if I had to complain about anything it's the max distance that the magnet/sensor had to
    be in order to work. This took me some time to install the unit unlike a Cateye that I can get it going in just a few minutes.

The cs200cad interface can cycle through a lot of feature witha button, many of which I don't always care for. As a cyclist, the cateye's interace tells me the things that I need to know quicker (less features). However, the cs200 main screen has speed, avg speed, HR, cadence...which is all that you really need anyway.

16. larry17canal

larry17canal New Member

How are the graphic features on the computer download? Can you look at exercises over several days to track progress? I may have to purchase the cs200cad by default nobody seems to have the cateye tr100.

17. NSM3

NSM3 New Member

I have this computer on a Spesh Roubaix Elite carbon frame and it works a treat - had it on for 1500 miles. The handlebar mount can be critised at the computer bracket fixing point. I changed wheels and tyres last week and ran the front at too high a PSI causing lots of vibration and the computer went up the road at about 25mph!! Not badly damaged though and it still works. It is now superglued in place. Also the rear sender unit is a little bit on the ugly side!

18. impakt

impakt New Member