CompuTrainer and RRC Question

pdr

Feb 1, 2010
Took my wife's bike off the CT and put mine on. Forgot to recalibrate RRC. Set at 2.16 for her. Saved my workout. My old heart was a workin' just below LT for an hour but my power numbers were in endurance range. After whining severly to my wife, and chalking it up to getting older, I finally realized I didn't recalibrate. Since the bike was still on the trainer and the computrainer still on, I recalibrated at 4.06. So the power numbers are all off. Is there software to change the RRC on a saved text file so I can import it to WKO? If not, would it be a simple 4.06/2.16 ratio to at least estimate the power?
BTW, OT, I grew up in SW Wisconsin and had to return to the area this weekend for my son's away college tennis match in Dubuque, IA just down the road from my origins. I had forgotton the incredible beauty of this area and never appriciated the hills at the time. What a biker's paradise. Did see bikers out in 15 degree weather!
Thanks,
Paul

It's not a 4.06/2.16 ratio, and it's actually quite complicated because the press on force (the 4.06lbs or 2.16 lbs) only affects the rolling resistance part of the calculation, not the rest which comes from the electronic resistance unit. So the appropriate correction ratio would vary continuously depending on wheel speed and current power output.

In principle there might be a calculation that could recover watts due to the resistance unit at every moment in time using total watts, wheel speed, and the press on force used (2.16). Then you could recompute rolling resistance from the new press on force (4.06) and wheel speed (at each moment), then add that to watts from the resistance unit (at each moment) and that would give you the right number. However, I've never heard of anyone doing it.

I would suggest posting on the racermateinc.com forum if you really want to pursue it. Someone there might have a worksheet or something that can do it.

pdr said:
BTW, OT, I grew up in SW Wisconsin and had to return to the area this weekend for my son's away college tennis match in Dubuque, IA just down the road from my origins. I had forgotton the incredible beauty of this area and never appriciated the hills at the time. What a biker's paradise. Did see bikers out in 15 degree weather!
Thanks,
Paul

How right you are. I've road Grant Country on several occasions and really enjoyed it. Low traffic volume, nice roads, and nice(for the midwest at least) climbs. Good memories.