Computrainer Courses and recommended training

vascdoc

May 7, 2005
I just bought a Computrainer and love it. Can anyone recommend courses and also suggestions on how they use their computrainers for training?

vascdoc said:
I just bought a Computrainer and love it. Can anyone recommend courses and also suggestions on how they use their computrainers for training?
I purchased a Computrainer a year ago. It can be a wonderful tool. However, it can also be mearly a wonderful toy. When I consider what I know now compared to last winter, I feel I wasted my time. Not true, of course, I did make gains and it was not a boring chore like the previous off season. I rode varios courses, raced the little silver guy, raced myself (now that IS cool) etc.
Now prepare to get seriously fast: Forget what you have read about heart rate. You now have a power meter. Get Cycling Peaks software www.cyclingpeaks.com Start reading the Power forum. Do the tests (MAP and Funtional threshold, etc.) You will find threads in the archives. Your indoor cycling life has just become all about intervals from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.
I do my long rides outdoors, weather permitting, and all of my intervals indoors on the CT. I rarely ride the courses provided. I program in my own tailored to my specific training needs(often just a .5% continuos grade) I download the saved performance into Cycling Peaks and review the workout and track gains - accurately. CP is the ultimate cycling diary.
Next year I will have a PowerTap SL wheel so I can see what's happening on my team training rides and races.
Just for fun and motivation, pick a fast friend or fellow competitor that is "untouchable," Someone you don't think you could ever beat. If you stay motivated you might outride them soon.

Thanks Chipotle. I appreciate your insights. I will look over the archives as you have suggested.