Computrainer v. Tacx Trainer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tk, Feb 18, 2003.

  1. Tk

    Tk Guest

    I'm looking to do some very strucutured workouts following Friel's Bible. Any opinions? I'm also
    interested in opinions on the "fun factor" of either machine. Thanks folks.

    Tags:

  2. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking to do some very strucutured workouts following Friel's Bible. Any opinions? I'm also
    > interested in opinions on the "fun factor" of either machine. Thanks folks.

    I posted this to RBR today. I rode an hour and 40 minutes today on the Tacx I-Magic, something I was
    never able to do on the Computrainer...

    I have an older Computrainer which was robust and served me well for years. However, I just got an
    I-Magic and I love it. You have the ability to train via virtual reality and use steering which is
    nearly like playing a video game or you can use the "Catalyst" software and emulate an ergotrainer
    with programmable slope, watts, distance, time, etc. Also, there is third party software available
    through http://www.fitcentric.com which is also very good.

    In the end, it may depend on your specific needs but I have found myself "playing" on the I-Magic
    for one to two hours which I was never able to do on the Computrainer. At half the cost of a
    Computrainer, I would say it's well worth serious consideration..!

    Danny Callen

  3. Would you know the Tacx web site? Thank Speedy

    Danny Callen wrote:

    > "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm looking to do some very strucutured workouts following Friel's Bible. Any opinions? I'm also
    > > interested in opinions on the "fun factor" of either machine. Thanks folks.
    > >

    > I posted this to RBR today. I rode an hour and 40 minutes today on the Tacx I-Magic, something I
    > was never able to do on the Computrainer...
    >
    > I have an older Computrainer which was robust and served me well for years. However, I just got an
    > I-Magic and I love it. You have the ability to train via virtual reality and use steering which is
    > nearly like playing a video game or you can use the "Catalyst" software and emulate an ergotrainer
    > with programmable slope, watts, distance, time, etc. Also, there is third party software available
    > through http://www.fitcentric.com which is also very good.
    >
    > In the end, it may depend on your specific needs but I have found myself "playing" on the I-Magic
    > for one to two hours which I was never able to do on the Computrainer. At half the cost of a
    > Computrainer, I would say it's well worth serious consideration..!
    >
    > Danny Callen

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  5. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Would you know the Tacx web site?
    >

    > Their catalog lists www.tacx.nl but "connection refused" today for some reason
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi

    Yes that is the URL. I am having the same problem. Their site must be down temporarily as I have
    been visiting it more than once a day.

    Danny Callen

  6. Fstrnu

    Fstrnu Guest

    FWIW, I just completed a very in-depth analysis of Computrainer vs I-magic. You mention both fun
    and structure and you can't get both from I-Magic b/c the roads are pre-defined, so that relegates
    you to the Catalyst SW, which is no better than an Ergometer. On the Computrainer, you can define
    structured workouts as courses, which addresses your fun and structured requirement. Also, on the
    fun side, the Computrainer allows to you build courses easliy. On the training side, I heard that
    the team that is sponsored by Tacx just ordered two Computrainers last week!!!! The Computrainer
    also provides much more information when riding a course than the I-Magic. You can also download
    courses that others have created and even buy SW that can covert topographical maps into 3d courses
    so you can build anything you ride automatically!!!! And there is even a guy on the Internet that
    will build these for you for free!!!! Finally Computrainer has Spinscan that will analyze your
    pedal stroke.

    For serious training, it appears that there is really no comparison to Computrainer. Just go to
    the Computrainer web site and see all the references from top athletes and try to find that for
    the I-magic.

    Good luck!