Computrainer v. Tacx Trainer

Tk

Guest
I'm looking to do some very strucutured workouts following Friel's Bible. Any opinions? I'm also
interested in opinions on the "fun factor" of either machine. Thanks folks.

"TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to do some very strucutured workouts following Friel's Bible. Any opinions? I'm also
> interested in opinions on the "fun factor" of either machine. Thanks folks.

I posted this to RBR today. I rode an hour and 40 minutes today on the Tacx I-Magic, something I was
never able to do on the Computrainer...

I have an older Computrainer which was robust and served me well for years. However, I just got an
I-Magic and I love it. You have the ability to train via virtual reality and use steering which is
nearly like playing a video game or you can use the "Catalyst" software and emulate an ergotrainer
with programmable slope, watts, distance, time, etc. Also, there is third party software available
through http://www.fitcentric.com which is also very good.

In the end, it may depend on your specific needs but I have found myself "playing" on the I-Magic
for one to two hours which I was never able to do on the Computrainer. At half the cost of a
Computrainer, I would say it's well worth serious consideration..!

Danny Callen

Would you know the Tacx web site? Thank Speedy

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Would you know the Tacx web site?
>

> Their catalog lists www.tacx.nl but "connection refused" today for some reason
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi

Yes that is the URL. I am having the same problem. Their site must be down temporarily as I have
been visiting it more than once a day.

Danny Callen

FWIW, I just completed a very in-depth analysis of Computrainer vs I-magic. You mention both fun
and structure and you can't get both from I-Magic b/c the roads are pre-defined, so that relegates
you to the Catalyst SW, which is no better than an Ergometer. On the Computrainer, you can define
structured workouts as courses, which addresses your fun and structured requirement. Also, on the
fun side, the Computrainer allows to you build courses easliy. On the training side, I heard that
the team that is sponsored by Tacx just ordered two Computrainers last week!!!! The Computrainer
also provides much more information when riding a course than the I-Magic. You can also download
courses that others have created and even buy SW that can covert topographical maps into 3d courses
so you can build anything you ride automatically!!!! And there is even a guy on the Internet that
will build these for you for free!!!! Finally Computrainer has Spinscan that will analyze your
pedal stroke.

For serious training, it appears that there is really no comparison to Computrainer. Just go to
the Computrainer web site and see all the references from top athletes and try to find that for
the I-magic.

Good luck!