Computrainer v Velotron

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by mindracing, Jun 14, 2007.

1. mindracing

mindracing New Member

I've been using a CT for about a year now with excellent results and am already thinking ahead to winter training.

What benefits would I get by upgrading to a Velotron?

Tags:

2. acoggan

acoggan Member

1. Better "road feel".

2. A dedicated trainer, such that you don't have to use your own bike.

3. Possibly more accurate/stable power measurements (if only due to the fact that you no longer have to worry about the coast-down test).

4. A much lighter wallet. :D

3. wiredued

wiredued New Member

LOL it makes the Velodyne look like a bargain.:)

4. Squint

Squint New Member

I can't stand the feel of the CT and I had trouble riding at a power output I could easily sustain outdoors. Then there are the problems related to the tire-roller interface and the side-side wagging sensation I've experienced with most, if not all, trainers.

On most trainers, I'm miserable. My cadence and power output nosedive while RPE is high. On the VT, I've been able to generate as much power as I can outdoors. Perhaps more due to better pacing enforced by erg mode and the lack of rolling terrain, U-turns, gusting wind, etc.

I installed an SRM pro on the VT bike frame 3 weeks ago. I installed the 62t chainring on the SRM and calibrated the SRM after the installation. The SRM and VT tracked pretty closely. I could tell when the SRM's ZO shifted (usually 5-10 Hz) by observing the difference between the two. After 3 weeks, I have a feeling the VT is more accurate and "consistent" (as the iBike and Ergomo fans like to put it). I now do all my testing on the VT.

Interestingly, when I get off of the VT, I can go shower and come back 20 mins later and the flywheel will still be spinning.

Oh, and regarding the Velodyne, I originally intended to get a Velodyne and tried one out locally. A discussion on the wattage forum revealed some ease of setup and other issues. The Velodyne I tried did not track well with the SRM. In ergometer mode, it took a very long time to react and did not hold the resistance very constant. The one I used was possibly in need of repair. I also did not relish the thought of paying that much money and still having to deal with a tire-drum interface.

5. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

It is very tempting and the VT would be my trainer of choice but its price is about $A10-11k so it's one hell of an investment.

6. Squint

Squint New Member

I purchased a secondhand Dynafit model. I had been planning on purchasing a basic model when the opportunity to buy a used VT arose. I believe there is a significant discount for coaches.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that the ergometer mode is easily programmable compared to the Velodyne. You can either use software available from Cyclingpeaks or create them with a text editor. With the Velodyne, it's more similar to programming a watch.

7. mr_mojo

mr_mojo New Member

I just got a velodyne off of ebay for around $600...it's got the best road feel of any trainer I've ever used (CT included) and the erg mode is great for intervals (I have noticed some lag on shorter intervals but for longer thresholdish ones I just keep an eye on my PT's ave watts for the interval and adjust from there).

Mine was an older schwinn in great condition but I just saw a newer one go on ebay for around $1100.

I've always hated trainers and only used one on the worst winter days (not too many around here in SC) but the velodyne is so much better than a regular trainer that I'm using it more and more this summer for specific workouts.

Next year I may only come out of my cave for races! ;-)

8. mindracing

mindracing New Member

Great. Thanks for the replies.

It's a Velotron for the winter then.

Anyone need a CT?

9. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Maybe, where are you?

10. mindracing

mindracing New Member

I couldn't be further from you. I'm in the UK.

11. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Oh well, nice idea...

12. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

I'm in the UK(SE), and I'm interested. What kind of figure are you looking for?

13. Porkyboy

Porkyboy New Member

Hi

Did you buy the Velotron and if so what's the verdict and did you source it directly from The States?

Cheers,

PBUK