Computrainer

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by swimmer88, Mar 12, 2008.

1. swimmer88

swimmer88 New Member

So I just got a Computrainer Pro for my birthday, sweet! Actually, I don't have it yet, I still have to order it. But I have a few questions while I wait. Who has a Computrainer and how do you like it? Is it difficult to set up? It seems a lot of the Computrainer reviews on the internet are really outdated, so any insights you guys can give me on the Computrainer would be great. Are there any accessories I should order? Let me know. Thanks.

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

A really big fan... I also like some sort of off handlebar computer mount, you can make one for a few bucks with some plumbers pipe.

I really like my CT. Most of the time I just run it in ergo mode from the handlebar controller. Lately I've been running in fixed resistance modes 1-9 as well which is nice for things like microintervals and sprints where you don't want a preprogrammed, steady load.

I've also been playing with drafting the pacer a bit, that's a lot of fun and surprisingly realistic if you let him get away and have to chase back on. I do think the advantage they give you while drafting is much too generous, I have to ramp my pacer up to 450 watts just to get my own power up to 240+ watts. That sure makes it tough if you space out and drop back too far, now you've got to chase down a guy putting out 450 watts just to get back into the draft so you'd better be putting out 500+ watts to close the gap quickly. But you can bump the pacer power down with the - key on the controller till you catch him if you must. Anyway drafting on a rolling course or jumping out of the draft to do HOP style microinterval work is fairly interesting and a nice diversion to steady power work.

I really like my Computrainer all in all and after a calibration it tracks my powertap really well.

-Dave

3. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

best money I ever spent on a cycling-related product. Period.

I think the main 'accessory' is a decent desktop or laptop computer so you can run 3D courses. personally having used mine since 2002, I go thru phases of ergo, fixed resistance mode, or 3d mode. All are different. All have advantages and disadvantages but IMHO it's great to have those options.

Since this is the Power training forum, I can safely say: forget about the HR monitoring, wireless or not it's just a PITA. Dont' get sucked into the Spinscan theories too deeply either. Power to the pedals is what matters in training and racing. It's not figure skating or diving :)

4. Chipotle

Chipotle New Member

Anyone successfully using 3rd party video software? I'm interested in racing head to head with other CT owners.

Swimmer, you're gonna love your new CT. And yes, you will probably experience some level of frustration trying to hook it up to your PC. Once you're connected, though, the potential of this training tool is enormous. Do you have WKO+? If not, get it.

5. swimmer88

swimmer88 New Member

Awesome, thanks for the info daveryanwyoming, rmur17, and Chipotle. I am expecting the Computrainer to be delivered in the next few days. I ordered the Computrainer Pro. I'm really excited about using it.[​IMG] I don't know if I'll be buying any 3rd party software, but if you could race other people online, that would be sweet! Is there a product that can do that??

My one question is, does anyone use Windows Vista with the CT software? I have two computers, one with XP and one with Vista, so I'm just curious if the software is 100% compatible with Vista.

6. power1369

power1369 New Member

Software is 100% compatible with Vista. Computrainer has specific instructions on where to load the software. If you follow the instructions you should experience absolutely no problems.

Power1369

7. swimmer88

swimmer88 New Member

OK my Computrainer finally arrived! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I set it up and did the Orange County Triathlon course. It took me 1 hour, 18 minutes to do the 23.9 mile course with 933 feet of climbing. I averaged 18.2 MPH, and 164 watts (peak watts was 890 on a sprint at the end). Needless to say...I have to start riding more, but not bad seeing that I was out of the saddle for almost 2 weeks due to illness. Do you guys have a favorite course?

Anyways, the Computrainer is awesome. There are so many tools you can use to improve your cycling. Spinscan, Coaching Software, HR, etc... I'm so excited!

One thing...I had trouble with the Serial-to-USB adapter, I think mine is faulty, because it kept connecting and disconnecting every time you touched the thing. Probably a bad wire connection somewhere. Anyone else experience this?

8. ctgt

ctgt New Member

I like the Coors Morgul Bismarck course, but I also ride several local courses that I created using a Forerunner 201 and software I don't have access to aymore (long story). Enjoy your Computrainer. You will not regret the purchase.

9. 9606

9606 New Member

I think the real benefit of CT is using customozed .erg files. This is "training" rather than just riding course "A" and averaging "x" mph.
    Granted, one can do intervals in ergo mode by adjusting the +/- buttons, but the .erg file is pretty simple to create and use.

10. cbjesseeNH

cbjesseeNH New Member

11. amiles

amiles New Member

Swimmer

I have had mine for 3 months now. It is installed on Vista and XP and runs well on both although there are some weird things when trying to set up option in Vista. If you get caught out let me know. I use Netathlon software from riderunrow.com and that provides the ability to race against users of not only computrainer but other devices such as Tacx etc. The software I think is relatively cheap and is sensational addition to the computrainer. Check out Netathlon and you will see what I mean. You can even download and use for 15 days free of charge. I tend to use this more than the software that comes with the device. The other addition I have is ergvideos. Now these really are something worth looking at. They allow you to ride at preset power configurations as if you were in a race situation. You can also download a training program from intellicoach.ca free of charge that sets up a ride for you. Paul the developer has been very helpful and I think this training adds a totally different dimension and level of excitement to the trainer. Check them all out and see what you think but I dont think you will be disappointed with the additional software. I personally wouldn't be without it.
    Cheers and happy riding

12. 9606

9606 New Member

For whom does he work??

13. turbodude880

turbodude880 New Member

Hay I just read this old post but I just got a computrainer and got this software you mentioned but can't find anyone to rip rith online