Concentric Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alexander Kahn, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. Hi there. I've seen this mentioned in descriptions for bikes and was curious as to what it meant. Is
    it a significant feature? What's a concentric bottom bracket?
    --
    Alexander Kahn

    Tags:

  2. lisated

    lisated Guest

    Alexander Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi there. I've seen this mentioned in descriptions for bikes and was curious as to what it meant.
    > Is it a significant feature? What's a concentric bottom bracket?

    I suspect you mean ECCENTRIC bottom bracket. The spindle is mounted in an eccentric, which when
    turned, will tighten and loosen the chain as appropriate. They are found wherever chain tension must
    be adjusted in the absence of a sprung derailer, such as a single speed with vertical dropouts, or
    the front chain on a tandem.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Alexander Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there. I've seen this mentioned in descriptions for bikes and was curious as to what it meant.
    > Is it a significant feature? What's a concentric bottom bracket?

    It's the default mode. As opposed to some loopy modern bikes which, having no other provision for
    chain tensioning , incorporate a tandemlike eccentric BB. The eccentric holds the bearing assembly
    and is rotated to move the spindle closer or farther from the rear axle.

  4. [email protected]
    > I suspect you mean ECCENTRIC bottom bracket. The spindle is mounted in an eccentric, which when
    > turned, will tighten and loosen the chain as appropriate. They are found wherever chain tension
    > must be adjusted in the absence of a sprung derailer, such as a single speed with vertical
    > dropouts, or the front chain on a tandem.

    Aha, that is what i mean. Now I see what's going on on those Jericho frames and that Phil Wood
    frame... Thanks. What tools are needed to adjust this type of bottom bracket (for the chain
    tension)? Does the frame need to allow for a special bottom bracket?
    --
    Alexander Kahn

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >What tools are needed to adjust this type of bottom bracket (for the chain tension)? Does the frame
    >need to allow for a special bottom bracket?

    Something called a "pin wrench" is the right way to do it. Hand pressure works too.

    The frame needs a totally different housing down there.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > I suspect you mean ECCENTRIC bottom bracket. The spindle is mounted in an eccentric, which when
    > > turned, will tighten and loosen the chain as appropriate. They are found wherever chain tension
    > > must be adjusted in the absence of a sprung derailer, such as a single speed with vertical
    > > dropouts, or the front chain on a tandem.

    "Alexander Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] Aha, that is what i mean. Now I see what's going on on those Jericho frames
    > and that Phil Wood frame... Thanks. What tools are needed to adjust this type of bottom bracket
    > (for the chain tension)? Does the frame need to allow for a special bottom bracket?

    Indeed the frame's "hanger" or "bottom bracket shell" is usually made much larger to accomodate an
    eccentric. Ideally the eccentric is large enough to allow 1/2" of total fore/aft adjustment, the
    length of a chain link. Eccentrics usually have normal ISO threading, so any crank bearing assembly
    may fbe fitted. Most models are simply held in place with a pairof allen bolts.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/ECC_MUZI.JPG

    Note the binder bolts on the left in the photo. They are regular seatpost binders. You can see how
    the aluminum liner rotates to change the position of the crank spindle relative to the rest of the
    bike. The binder bolts need not be tight at all - much less than a seatpost bolt's torque - as there
    is no force acting to turn the eccentric. Santanas for example use a 5mm grub screw with a 3mm allen
    key head and that's probably overkill.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Something called a "pin wrench" is the right way to do it. Hand pressure
    works
    > too. The frame needs a totally different housing down there.

    You're right about the "pin wrench", Pete and that's one of my pet peeves. There's no reason to
    leave them with those diminutive inadequate dimples when you can sink a couple of nice ample 8mm
    holes in the thing. http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/ECC_MUZI.JPG Who carries a pin
    tool around anyway?