concerned beginner!

jouissance

May 30, 2013
I've got a 34km city ride in three days (Istanbul). I'm not TOO out of shape, but I haven't cycled in about three years, and I never have regularly. We have three hours to complete the ride. Am I going to die?
Thanks for your help!

its a very touristy pace, 11 kph, no worries just beware of traffic, that would be my advice, have fun, maybe post some pictures for us to see !

Originally Posted by jouissance .

I've got a 34km city ride in three days (Istanbul). I'm not TOO out of shape, but I haven't cycled in about three years, and I never have regularly. We have three hours to complete the ride. Am I going to die?
Thanks for your help!
If its flat you will be fine. What is this ride? Is in an "Audax" race or something?

The body has enough stored glycogen for about an hour and a half (maybe 2) if you are riding at a spirited clip. How much energy ou use will depend on how hard you ride. As long as you have a nice meal a couple hours before you start, and If you ride very slowly, you may just need water. If you ride a bit faster, you will probably want to have some snacks or energy bars/gels on hand just in case. Bananas, fig bars, some small sandwiches (no mayo unless refrigerated), or whatever you prefer. Running out of fuel 30 minutes from your destination will be no fun at all. Better to arrive having not used the snacks than to not arrive at all. Have fun!

You wont have any trouble covering that distance at a comfortable pace. You've obviously rode previously, so you would know how to pace yourself and understand the importants of fluid and food intake.