A condition note can be more useful than a fixed replacement date because exposure and use vary across equipment. Following a strict calendar for parts often misses the reality of how a bike is actually ridden. A component might hit its date limit while barely being used, or it could be completely worn out long before the suggested interval if it has seen heavy abuse or harsh environments.
Detailed records are a start, but they don't always capture the physical stress or environmental exposure a frame and its parts have endured. A physical inspection for wear and impact evidence usually tells the real story about durability and remaining life.
When you are assessing a used bike, do you prioritize a complete service history or a deep dive into the physical wear and impact evidence?
I’d put the physical check first. Service records can tell you what was replaced, but they don’t establish the bike’s present condition; missing paperwork alone doesn’t prove it was neglected either. I’d check the frame, fork and wheels, then price up drivetrain and brake wear. A worn chain is a cost to account for. A frame I’m not confident about is a reason to walk away.
A worn chain can be a cheap fix, but a new chain may skip under load if the cassette is already worn, so I’d check that before pricing it as a chain-only job. On the frame, “not confident” should mean a specific unresolved sign of damage, not just missing paperwork or scuffed paint; otherwise you may be walking away from something a closer inspection could settle.
A fresh chain can skip on a worn cassette, so check both before calling it a chain-only cost. And yes, a paint scuff by itself isn’t a reason to walk away. A visible crack or distortion on the frame or fork is a different matter; if a proper inspection can’t settle it, I’d leave that bike for someone else.
A scuff alone wouldn’t put me off. But “proper inspection” means someone independent checking the suspect area, not the seller assuring you it’s only paint. If they won’t allow that and you’re still unsure, I’d leave it.