conditions in the glyders

rob

Guest
anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
region
was thinking of a walk on wednesday
would i get by without ctrampons
cheers

Very timely question Rob!

There are a group of 12 of us going up to the Ogwen Valley for a
weekend of walking and climbing. I was just about to post a plea for a
report of conditions on the tops in Snowdonia and you beat me to it.

If anyone is out in the hills this week I'd be very pleased to hear
what the conditions are like.

Jell

In article <[email protected]>, rob
<[email protected]> writes
>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
>region
>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
>would i get by without ctrampons
>cheers

Seems to be thawing at the moment:

http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php

The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler
Thursday.

I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
there.

--

Dominic Sexton

"Jell" <[email protected]> writes:

> There are a group of 12 of us going up to the Ogwen Valley for a
> weekend of walking and climbing. I was just about to post a plea for a
> report of conditions on the tops in Snowdonia and you beat me to it.

I was in the Ogwen valley at the weekend. There was a fair bit of
snow about, but it was fairly soft stuff. I used crampons on Crib
Goch but it was a toss up as to whether I was better off with or
without. But I spend a lot of time not wearing crampons, so the
decision was obvious.

Forecast at the moment is colder than last week, so it may get
crispier. Certainly take crampons if you've got them - you may well
get to play.

--
Giles

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, rob
> <[email protected]> writes
>>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
>>region
>>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
>>would i get by without ctrampons
>>cheers

> Seems to be thawing at the moment:
>
> http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php
>
> The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler Thursday.
>
> I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
> there.

An easier option is go and find out! I'd rather take a pair of crampons just
in case. Doesn't take much effort to carry them! Or could be left behind in
the car if conditions are mild.

JS

should have made it clear i dont have any crampons
cant really justify the cost now for the amount of time i would use them
if any

"John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, rob
>> <[email protected]> writes
>>>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/
>>>carneddau/snowdon
>>>region
>>>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
>>>would i get by without ctrampons
>>>cheers

>> Seems to be thawing at the moment:
>>
>> http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php
>>
>> The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler
>> Thursday.
>>
>> I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
>> there.

> An easier option is go and find out! I'd rather take a pair of crampons
> just in case. Doesn't take much effort to carry them! Or could be left
> behind in the car if conditions are mild.
>
> JS

Oh! Well what more can I say. Probably OK without. I've done plenty of
hillwalking without, when I should have had them & survived :-0

JS

"rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> should have made it clear i dont have any crampons
> cant really justify the cost now for the amount of time i would use
> them if any
>
> "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> In article <[email protected]>, rob
>>> <[email protected]> writes
>>>
>>> Seems to be thawing at the moment:
>>>
>>> http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php
>>>
>>> The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler
>>> Thursday.
>>>
>>> I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
>>> there.

>> An easier option is go and find out! I'd rather take a pair of crampons
>> just in case. Doesn't take much effort to carry them! Or could be left
>> behind in the car if conditions are mild.
>>
>> JS

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, John Smith
> <[email protected]> writes
>>Oh! Well what more can I say. Probably OK without. I've done plenty of
>>hillwalking without, when I should have had them & survived :-0
>>
>>JS

> Some interesting descents eh?....:)

Hi Bill,

Just wondering if you know a bloke called "Alec"? A fisherman who I met in
Scottish bothy last year. A really funny guy.

We got talking and I'm sure he mentioned going on an annual outing to Wales
flyfishing and I'm sure he mentionrd you. Am I correct?

He is a postman but he was in the armed services for quite a few years.

JS

I'd suggest if you want to do serious Winter walking the first priority
would be Crampons & ice axe ;-) Not posing gear;-)

JS

"rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>i know that but i have spent far too much up to now
> with all the winter bargains
> to be had
>

> "W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, rob
>> <[email protected]> writes
>>>should have made it clear i dont have any crampons
>>>cant really justify the cost now for the amount of time i would use
>>>them
>>>if any

>> Go-on, they're only about 60 quid :)
>> --
>> Bill Grey
>> http://www.billboy.co.uk

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:58:29 +0000 (UTC), "rob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
>region
>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
>would i get by without ctrampons

From today's webcams, it all looks very wet. It's due to get colder
though, and it's likely that the paths will be quite icy. My guess
would be, you'll get by without crampons, but may have to avoid
following the paths to do so.

S.

--
Oppose ID cards and the database state
http://www.no2id.com/

"Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:58:29 +0000 (UTC), "rob" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
>>region
>>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
>>would i get by without ctrampons

> From today's webcams, it all looks very wet. It's due to get colder
> though, and it's likely that the paths will be quite icy. My guess
> would be, you'll get by without crampons, but may have to avoid
> following the paths to do so.

"but may have to avoid following the paths to do so."

They are the worst place imaginable for ice. Make a nice walk into a
nightmare!

Whoever designs them needs shooting ;-)

JS

In article <[email protected]>, John Smith
<[email protected]> writes

>"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, John Smith
>> <[email protected]> writes
>>>Oh! Well what more can I say. Probably OK without. I've done plenty of
>>>hillwalking without, when I should have had them & survived :-0
>>>
>>>JS

>> Some interesting descents eh?....:)

>Hi Bill,
>
>Just wondering if you know a bloke called "Alec"? A fisherman who I met in
>Scottish bothy last year. A really funny guy.
>
>We got talking and I'm sure he mentioned going on an annual outing to Wales
>flyfishing and I'm sure he mentionrd you. Am I correct?
>
>He is a postman but he was in the armed services for quite a few years.
>
>JS

Hi John - you have mail.
--
Bill Grey