conditions in the glyders

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by rob, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. rob

    rob Guest

    anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
    region
    was thinking of a walk on wednesday
    would i get by without ctrampons
    cheers

    Tags:

  2. Jell

    Jell Guest

    Very timely question Rob!

    There are a group of 12 of us going up to the Ogwen Valley for a
    weekend of walking and climbing. I was just about to post a plea for a
    report of conditions on the tops in Snowdonia and you beat me to it.

    If anyone is out in the hills this week I'd be very pleased to hear
    what the conditions are like.

    Jell

  3. In article <[email protected]>, rob
    <[email protected]> writes
    >anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
    >region
    >was thinking of a walk on wednesday
    >would i get by without ctrampons
    >cheers

    Seems to be thawing at the moment:

    http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php

    The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler
    Thursday.

    I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
    there.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  4. "Jell" <[email protected]> writes:

    > There are a group of 12 of us going up to the Ogwen Valley for a
    > weekend of walking and climbing. I was just about to post a plea for a
    > report of conditions on the tops in Snowdonia and you beat me to it.

    I was in the Ogwen valley at the weekend. There was a fair bit of
    snow about, but it was fairly soft stuff. I used crampons on Crib
    Goch but it was a toss up as to whether I was better off with or
    without. But I spend a lot of time not wearing crampons, so the
    decision was obvious.

    Forecast at the moment is colder than last week, so it may get
    crispier. Certainly take crampons if you've got them - you may well
    get to play.

    --
    Giles

  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, rob
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
    >>region
    >>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
    >>would i get by without ctrampons
    >>cheers

    > Seems to be thawing at the moment:
    >
    > http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php
    >
    > The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler Thursday.
    >
    > I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
    > there.

    An easier option is go and find out! I'd rather take a pair of crampons just
    in case. Doesn't take much effort to carry them! Or could be left behind in
    the car if conditions are mild.

    JS

  6. rob

    rob Guest

    should have made it clear i dont have any crampons
    cant really justify the cost now for the amount of time i would use them
    if any

    "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>, rob
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/
    >>>carneddau/snowdon
    >>>region
    >>>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
    >>>would i get by without ctrampons
    >>>cheers

    >> Seems to be thawing at the moment:
    >>
    >> http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php
    >>
    >> The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler
    >> Thursday.
    >>
    >> I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
    >> there.

    > An easier option is go and find out! I'd rather take a pair of crampons
    > just in case. Doesn't take much effort to carry them! Or could be left
    > behind in the car if conditions are mild.
    >
    > JS

  7. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Oh! Well what more can I say. Probably OK without. I've done plenty of
    hillwalking without, when I should have had them & survived :-0

    JS

    "rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > should have made it clear i dont have any crampons
    > cant really justify the cost now for the amount of time i would use
    > them if any
    >
    > "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> In article <[email protected]>, rob
    >>> <[email protected]> writes
    >>>
    >>> Seems to be thawing at the moment:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/large_ygarn.php
    >>>
    >>> The forecast is mild for today and tomorrow followed by a cooler
    >>> Thursday.
    >>>
    >>> I doubt that crampons will be of much use in the slush that will be up
    >>> there.

    >> An easier option is go and find out! I'd rather take a pair of crampons
    >> just in case. Doesn't take much effort to carry them! Or could be left
    >> behind in the car if conditions are mild.
    >>
    >> JS

  8. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

  9. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

  10. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, John Smith
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>Oh! Well what more can I say. Probably OK without. I've done plenty of
    >>hillwalking without, when I should have had them & survived :-0
    >>
    >>JS

    > Some interesting descents eh?....:)

    I certainly have! ;-)

    JS

  11. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, John Smith
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>Oh! Well what more can I say. Probably OK without. I've done plenty of
    >>hillwalking without, when I should have had them & survived :-0
    >>
    >>JS

    > Some interesting descents eh?....:)

    Hi Bill,

    Just wondering if you know a bloke called "Alec"? A fisherman who I met in
    Scottish bothy last year. A really funny guy.

    We got talking and I'm sure he mentioned going on an annual outing to Wales
    flyfishing and I'm sure he mentionrd you. Am I correct?

    He is a postman but he was in the armed services for quite a few years.

    JS

  12. rob

    rob Guest

  13. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    I'd suggest if you want to do serious Winter walking the first priority
    would be Crampons & ice axe ;-) Not posing gear;-)

    JS

    "rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >i know that but i have spent far too much up to now
    > with all the winter bargains
    > to be had
    >

    > "W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>, rob
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>>should have made it clear i dont have any crampons
    >>>cant really justify the cost now for the amount of time i would use
    >>>them
    >>>if any

    >> Go-on, they're only about 60 quid :)
    >> --
    >> Bill Grey
    >> http://www.billboy.co.uk

  14. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:58:29 +0000 (UTC), "rob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
    >region
    >was thinking of a walk on wednesday
    >would i get by without ctrampons

    From today's webcams, it all looks very wet. It's due to get colder
    though, and it's likely that the paths will be quite icy. My guess
    would be, you'll get by without crampons, but may have to avoid
    following the paths to do so.

    S.

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state
    http://www.no2id.com/

  15. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:58:29 +0000 (UTC), "rob" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>anyone know what the conditions are like in the glyders/ carneddau/snowdon
    >>region
    >>was thinking of a walk on wednesday
    >>would i get by without ctrampons

    > From today's webcams, it all looks very wet. It's due to get colder
    > though, and it's likely that the paths will be quite icy. My guess
    > would be, you'll get by without crampons, but may have to avoid
    > following the paths to do so.

    "but may have to avoid following the paths to do so."

    They are the worst place imaginable for ice. Make a nice walk into a
    nightmare!

    Whoever designs them needs shooting ;-)

    JS

  16. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, John Smith
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>, John Smith
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>>Oh! Well what more can I say. Probably OK without. I've done plenty of
    >>>hillwalking without, when I should have had them & survived :-0
    >>>
    >>>JS

    >> Some interesting descents eh?....:)

    >Hi Bill,
    >
    >Just wondering if you know a bloke called "Alec"? A fisherman who I met in
    >Scottish bothy last year. A really funny guy.
    >
    >We got talking and I'm sure he mentioned going on an annual outing to Wales
    >flyfishing and I'm sure he mentionrd you. Am I correct?
    >
    >He is a postman but he was in the armed services for quite a few years.
    >
    >JS

    Hi John - you have mail.
    --
    Bill Grey