Condolences to the Spanish

But I didnt give you advice on your grammar. This is not a grammar forum. Dont let your emotions cloud your judgement. And dont let your latent latin temperament take anger out on others (such as me). I will give an answer to every point you make and show you where you should give some more consideration. But never say something as foolish as "my best friend is muslim" etc...... or my ex boyfriend was muslim.
As a famous rapper cited in the early 80s:
".......so you think you got one black friend and you think you are in. Homie. No win".
You remind me of those guys at uni who thought they were so cool cos they had one gay friend. Did you go out with that guy cos he was muslim or did he happen to be muslim? Please dont say silly things and ruin what intellginet things you have to say and dont steer away from the main goal here by say silly things at the end like "thanks for correcting me on my grammar". That just shows lack of depth and breadth in your knowledge of intermational relaitons, cold war build up to the mid east and US and UK foreign policy since the 60's to present day. So please sunsatantiate what yo usay and stop being defensive.
BTW what bikes do you have Alice?

Originally posted by nurul
Alice the Spanish voted for Zaptero beacause Aznar withheld info. He was going down anyway. They say that Spain just had humanitarian aid their but what was the top civil guard doing there when he was shot dead about 1 month ago. Bandaging Iraqi children or comforting raped Iraqi women?
I'm off to Barcelona in the next 14 days. No not to train but to see friends. At least won't bomb in Catalunya cos of their agreement with Batasuna's best friends. Did anyone shed a tea last week when the Suni muslims palced a dozen bombs in that aquare in Iraqi killing about 100-200 Shi-ites? North Africans now in Spain, hated anyway cos man Spanis cant stand muslims or "morros" as they quaintly put it (moors) will now face I think quite unthinkable relations with the Spanish. My friend from Asturias who works as an English teacher in a small village told her teenage schoolchildren this week that she had a Muslim friend. They were all shocked and looked at her with amazement. (by the way just in case you havent guessed she was referring to me). Excuse me while I get my zefal pocket pump and convert in into an AK47. Maybe down my seat tube i can place some dynamite. We need more information not a police state or even govt controlled info. Look at Italy, Burlosconi's joke state. People are angry in Spain cos info has been withheld and reporting has been so biased there. I haev had the fortune to live in 4 continents and the Iraq war and the Afghan events are jsut simply catching up with us now in Europe. War is not within the parameters of national boundaries. Alice aun no me has contado que bicis tienes?

I just want to ask you a couple of questions : I don't have any
direct experience of Spain (have travelled there but I haven't got any Spanish contacts).
Are you saying that the Spanish were anti-Muslim before the bombing in Madrid ?
I'm familiar enough with Spanish history to know that the Moors conqured Spain.
However, I also know that the Moors contributed a lot to Spanish culture.
Indeed Cordoba is a fine example of where Moors and the native Spaniards integrated.
Are you suggested that the average Spaniard does not tolerate
Muslims ?
And if so, is it because of emigration from those North African Muslim countries which he (the average Spaniard) opposes ?
Or was this feeling of antagonism always there ?

Originally posted by nurul
But I didnt give you advice on your grammar. This is not a grammar forum. Dont let your emotions cloud your judgement. And dont let your latent latin temperament take anger out on others (such as me). I will give an answer to every point you make and show you where you should give some more consideration. But never say something as foolish as "my best friend is muslim" etc...... or my ex boyfriend was muslim.
As a famous rapper cited in the early 80s:
".......so you think you got one black friend and you think you are in. Homie. No win".
You remind me of those guys at uni who thought they were so cool cos they had one gay friend. Did you go out with that guy cos he was muslim or did he happen to be muslim? Please dont say silly things and ruin what intellginet things you have to say and dont steer away from the main goal here by say silly things at the end like "thanks for correcting me on my grammar". That just shows lack of depth and breadth in your knowledge of intermational relaitons, cold war build up to the mid east and US and UK foreign policy since the 60's to present day. So please sunsatantiate what yo usay and stop being defensive.
BTW what bikes do you have Alice?

This is all so baffling that I am just lost as to wonder if I should post back or not. Obviously I decided on the former as I want to get to the bottom of this!

The first point is that I genuinley did think your sentence ''Trying switching "you" to one.'' was correcting my grammar as I often do say 'you' instead of 'one' and actually did have to make another post before to point it out funnily enough!

I am not taking my anger out on you, why would I? I don't even know you. I am angry about the topic at hand like I keep saying. What part of hurt, rage and upset over hundreds of innocent people do you not understand? Having to keep trying to understand this insanity going on between us enforces it as Bio started this thread for us to express our condolences to those murdered, not for this!

So, onto your current post at hand. The first point re grammar I hope has been resolved?

As for showing you consideration, I have and for yet another time am doing so in spending time replying to you.

My references to the two Muslim males I know closley, one of whom was a b/f was in reference to one of your posts about anyone caring about the bloody attacks on the first day the S's could have their religious festival and how I basically did shed tears with that same b/f as we watched the news so obvs.did know and care about that awful day! Nothing stupid at all.

I am so un racially or religiously biased hence having friends, boyfriends, close girlfriends of many religions and nationalities, oh and yes, sexual orientations since you bought that up too. I live in a multi cultural city. My closest neighbours are Nigerian, Irish, English but born in Malawi, Kurdish, Gujarati and a few white Brits like me. How can one not be exposed and want to grasp such diversity except with pleasure?! Incredible that you think I would have a relationship with someone because of the fact that they are Muslim. Maybe some do, but not me. None of my relationships are based on such factors. I read the Quran/Koran at 15 yet have studied Buddism and Hinduism too....yet again, I only mention that to show you since you seem to need it prooven to you that I am more than interested in learning about MANY things. The most important of which is about 'people' and if I have been exposed to a new culture; way of life then I read, ask questions, eat different foods...all sorts in order to understand and further develop that relationship on whichever level that it is on.

So on the point of ".......so you think you got one black friend and you think you are in. Homie. No win". I simply don't care if a rapper said that once. Blimey, I would be a really confused individual as to my personal religion, colour or creed by now if I was applying that to myself!

Since you keep asking about my bike I will repeat -as I have posted on another site about it before. I really didn't want to have to say it again as it is actually very painful for me but you wont take no for an answer....After I broke up with my fiance Vejay (oops, another religion..sorry!) thanks to him being pro domestic violence he decided to hit me back again with what other thing he could use to hurt me after he was arrested and bailed by the Police by selling my beautiful bike which was unfortunatley at his work place as we had been using the extra space to make some alterations prior to the 'incident' for a 'nominal' £10.00! Lovely final touch. Obviously I am now set up in a new home for which I am having to save to refurbish hence not having the extra few thousand needed to replace it. So forgive me if I don't rush to talk about my bike or give you the run downs on it's specs as it is simply too much.

Right now the only pleasure I do have that is as closley related to cycling as I can find are my memories,watching the races, keeping up to date by reading threads here, literature and reverting back to my other favourite sport of swimming in order to keep fit for when I can afford the luxury of another bike. When that time comes, I will be sure to shout with pride about my new machine from the biggest soap box I can find. It will be such a happy day.

So, onto the final point of my apparant "lack of depth and breadth in your knowledge of intermational relaitons, cold war build up to the mid east and US and UK foreign policy since the 60's to present day." Oh blimey, since the day I was born I have been spoonfed on these issues and facts and still live them in more detail than I care to as well through no fault of my own....(j/k). I can give you the detailed current or background info but it is actually all a bit too delicate I think to post here in detail and wouldn't be fair on those concerned. I can say anything about myself and my life but to go further than a Military and Foreign Office Terrorist Intelligence (ironically enough!) based 'bratship' such as that wouldn't be the right thing. For me in a day to day sense I know enough of current affairs to do more than pass if that is what you are trying to check on but personally do try to avoid really deep nitty gritty analysis of such topics in a forum of this kind.

I come here to read and learn and make an occaisional post compared to those that I read. Mostly I post on irrelevant issues compared to this. Who cares, I have made quite a few friends that I am in contact with other than on the boards and we have a giggle but can be serious if pushed ;)

So, ~phew~ I hope to have responded to your post in an adequate enough way and now I really just want to be inane and watch some trashy t.v!

Laterz... Alice

Originally posted by limerickman
I just want to ask you a couple of questions : I don't have any
direct experience of Spain (have travelled there but I haven't got any Spanish contacts).
Are you saying that the Spanish were anti-Muslim before the bombing in Madrid ?
I'm familiar enough with Spanish history to know that the Moors conqured Spain.
However, I also know that the Moors contributed a lot to Spanish culture.
Indeed Cordoba is a fine example of where Moors and the native Spaniards integrated.
Are you suggested that the average Spaniard does not tolerate
Muslims ?
And if so, is it because of emigration from those North African Muslim countries which he (the average Spaniard) opposes ?
Or was this feeling of antagonism always there ?

Hey Lim.....are you asking me or Nurul or in general? I just saw your post and personally sent up a thank you that you are around. Can you make any sense of where I seem to have ignited some particular flame or if you have a stance on the dialogue between myself and N please? You are always very articulate and so hoped you would come back and if you have time could you perhaps tell me if you can get a grasp of what is going on? My confusion is mounting on the dialogue!!! Will catch a breath and give my opinion on the topic if required but think you are directing it more towards Nurul.

Ohhh...another time but was wanting to actually ask you something about Vino/T.T. and the TDF but not now

Alice :)

Originally posted by alicem
Hey Lim.....are you asking me or Nurul or in general? I just saw your post and personally sent up a thank you that you are around. Can you make any sense of where I seem to have ignited some particular flame or if you have a stance on the dialogue between myself and N please? You are always very articulate and so hoped you would come back and if you have time could you perhaps tell me if you can get a grasp of what is going on? My confusion is mounting on the dialogue!!! Will catch a breath and give my opinion on the topic if required but think you are directing it more towards Nurul.

Ohhh...another time but was wanting to actually ask you something about Vino/T.T. and the TDF but not now

Alice :)

Well, Alice I initially asked Nurul, but I'd welcome your views of course !!!!!!

As I said I've no contacts in Spain and I was just curious when Nurul
made the comment about his/her schoolteacher friend telling her class that she had a muslim friend and how they (the children reacted) badly to this news.

But I can see that you've done your fair share of typing this evening so whenever you feel like replying, please do so !!

Well, Alice I initially asked Nurul, but I'd welcome your views of course !!!!!!

As I said I've no contacts in Spain and I was just curious when Nurul
made the comment about his/her schoolteacher friend telling her class that she had a muslim friend and how they (the children reacted) badly to this news.

But I can see that you've done your fair share of typing this evening so whenever you feel like replying, please do so !!

Hey Lim and Nurul

O.k, another day and am refreshed after trying so carefully to respond to your (Nurul’s) post in order not to inflame any situation and hopefully try and build some form of bridge between any past misunderstandings. I didn’t even have my supper until 10 pm what with one thing like watching my girlie Sex and The City proggie and another like typing carefully was the other! So, onward bound we go with Tchaikovsky playing in the background for some inspiration (hopefully)!!

On re reading back-excuse me please as this is turning out to be a very long post!

This is actually a massive topic so for starters should this continue on this particular thread or shall we just remain plonked here as the discussion has already begun? Maybe Bio who started the thread could ask us to shift over if he felt it not applicable? For now, until a consensus has been gained I will write here.

Like you Lim, I too would really like to know how Nurul feels in Spain as a Muslim. Have many judged, acted differently towards you/him due to his Religion pre 9/11 (as a basic block starting point) for example or worsened like you were questioning? It will be very interesting to learn what your…Nurul…experiences have been like. Also Lim, I wonder if we could perhaps have an insight maybe into your travels and conceptions due to being Irish and if you have been discriminated against as soon as anyone hears your accent and immediately judges you when the first thing that may have sadly come to manys minds is of the I.R.A and how you could perhaps be ‘bunched in’ under one specific criteria which does not allow for personal expression or freedom.

It really does sadden me (ironically enough) as despite this current age due to being white, Christian, blonde and blue eyed have never experienced any form of racism whatsoever and I think that does highlight how prominent the issue actually is! Yes, I am those things, but my goodness does that mean I don’t give money to certain terrorist groups or act for organisations?

Maybe a good example is that Military Personel or their families are not permited to eat in McDonalds as apparantly the Company contribute to I.R.A and other interlinking groups such as E.T.A. Well, I personally don't eat fast food anyway so it isn't an issue but interesting nonetheless. I don’t eat fast food like that no matter what and prefer to go hungry if in the city and need food but that is beside the point. I fit a criteria that is acceptable to all through no choosing of my own so have been able to integrate in many communities and countries without question. The only problems I have ever encountered are due to my parents jobs, independent (private fee paying educatiuon if any American reads this and doesn't understand the terminology for e.g)schooling and the fact that I am supposedly upper middle class and am often given a hard time with that. Therefore, I have no real personal experiences on 'discrimination thanks to race or religion except that which I have encountered due to my illness but that is totally different yet again...)except for when with b/friends or my ex-fiancé.

The classic example would be Vejay and our fantastic journey following the TDF in 01. O.k, this isn’t about being ‘in’ Spain but many times we were more than close enough and Sp/France share many views on those of different religions/colour.

VJ cannot speak French and we did most of the route by motorbike which obviously only needed me to take off my helmet to ask for help and received great instructions; superb hospitality when booking our hotels prior to departure and great reception when arrived at most of them. Then, along our carefully scheduled route I suddenly started to have an uneasy feeling and began noticing certain things like for example walking up L’Alpe D’Uez and not seeing one single ‘brown’ face. The Americans we parked by as we chose to stop there ignored him totally and would only speak to me! V.J is an amazingly talented sportsman let alone educated individual but they only spoke with me. How come? He is an Engineer; can build a fantastic bicycle or even motorbike from what was essentially nothing special at all and minus the d.violence incident is a remarkable human being. (urgh, I so hope he isn’t reading this!!! LOL) He was looked down on for the colour of his skin and religion be it Hindu or Muslim, Christianity or even Buddhism ~ how would anyone know from looking at him or even myself for what it is worth ~ yet my goodness, those that we stood waiting with would have learned and had way more of an interesting conversation with him than they did with me!

Now, Vejay is just VJ to me and I never did, nor looking back on our photos ever saw/see him as being ‘dark’ or ‘different’ but so many others as it turned out did. It culminated on Luz Ardiden and of all the thousands of people we had walked past; stood waiting with, chatted to, cheered on no matter what guy was leading he was still the only ‘dark/brown’ face I ever saw on all those stages! How could this be so out of the millions that watch the TDF at the roadsides?!

The reality finally struck home when we were in Limoux at the most beautiful hotel and people were bending over backwards to help me carry luggage etc and try and help me check my email on their system (which they didn’t have to do at all) until Vejay finally walked in after securing a safe parking space and checking out our new location and suddenly the mood turned sour. We went out to eat and sat next to a couple who turned out to be British too. We had a fun evening until even that turned as they were drunk and suddenly the conversation turned against VJ because of his religion and colour of skin! They happened to be staying at our hotel too and it became rather unpleasant to say the least. Suddenly reception were calling me for all kinds of trivialities and accusations like we had been eating in our room for one. I told them they knew we left the hotel early and returned late as we were following the Tour so how could we have been eating in our room? Then the final straw was being accused of us phoning reception late at night to ask for more wine and a particular brand of cigarettes. Now, I don’t drink but do smoke (I KNOW>>>MY BAD!) and then it all came to a full stop. No way had we called reception for alcohol as we were exhausted and asleep and in no shape needing to drink let alone VJ getting ‘phisshed’ despite liking his wine as following the Tour as many will know is actually really complicated so we had to get as much shut eye as possible let alone the fact that neither of us smoke the brand we were accused of asking for. It was a classic example of racism and I did defend Vejay the day we checked out by asking to speak with the Manager and put a complaint in writing about the subject. Basically, a luxury silver service hotel had no wish for a ‘dark face’ to be accommodated and have never heard back to this day regarding my complaint!

So referring back now to Nurul and the comment of the school children being alarmed or confused when the subject came up of being Muslim.

Well, briefly Asturias is a massive area in the North of Spain whose major cities include Gijon, Aviles and Oviedo. Oviedo was one of the small enclaves to have never been invaded by the Moors. I don’t know the ages of those pupils or exact location but presume they must be young to be startled at such a fact of anyone being friends with a Muslim? Go to the Northern areas of Spain and you will see blonde haired children/adults as opposed to the atypical dark brooding Latino looks that we characteristically believe to be those of the Spanish.

Spain has been influenced through so many centuries by many diverse cultures and is a country with an amazing variety of landscapes and ways of living! Humidity; scorching heat, constant rain or pounded upon by an intense sun. Its beautiful richness has been built up in the past by the Iberians; Celts, Greeks, Phoenicians, Romans, Goths, Moors, Jews, Muslims and Christians. Yet to this day I think that am right in saying 94 percent of Spain’s 40/41 odd million population are Christian Catholics. Islam was the country’s main religion for almost 800 years until the Catholic monarchs as in the infamous names of Ferdinand from Aragon and Isabel from Castille married in order to create that much needed as they saw it union between two of the most prominent and influential ‘districts’ in 1469, in order to finally oust the Moors with the final touch of regaining control of Granada in 1492 and then went onto set off exploring through Columbus et al.

So, a long post with some history, questions of you Nurul and Lim too in order to hopefully make me aware of what I have never had to experience. I will sit back now with my C.Sport and read the Pantani article (may he Rest In Peace…I still cannot believe he has gone) in particular and apologise for such a long post but I felt it was needed?

Love, Alice x

Yes, I am those things, but my goodness does that mean I don’t give money to certain terrorist groups or act for organisations?

B.T.W, I don't but that is beside the point....

Hey Lim and Nurul

O.k, another day and am refreshed after trying so carefully to respond to your (Nurul’s) post in order not to inflame any situation and hopefully try and build some form of bridge between any past misunderstandings. I didn’t even have my supper until 10 pm what with one thing like watching my girlie Sex and The City proggie and another like typing carefully was the other! So, onward bound we go with Tchaikovsky playing in the background for some inspiration (hopefully)!!

On re reading back-excuse me please as this is turning out to be a very long post!

This is actually a massive topic so for starters should this continue on this particular thread or shall we just remain plonked here as the discussion has already begun? Maybe Bio who started the thread could ask us to shift over if he felt it not applicable? For now, until a consensus has been gained I will write here.

Like you Lim, I too would really like to know how Nurul feels in Spain as a Muslim. Have many judged, acted differently towards you/him due to his Religion pre 9/11 (as a basic block starting point) for example or worsened like you were questioning? It will be very interesting to learn what your…Nurul…experiences have been like. Also Lim, I wonder if we could perhaps have an insight maybe into your travels and conceptions due to being Irish and if you have been discriminated against as soon as anyone hears your accent and immediately judges you when the first thing that may have sadly come to manys minds is of the I.R.A and how you could perhaps be ‘bunched in’ under one specific criteria which does not allow for personal expression or freedom.

It really does sadden me (ironically enough) as despite this current age due to being white, Christian, blonde and blue eyed have never experienced any form of racism whatsoever and I think that does highlight how prominent the issue actually is! Yes, I am those things, but my goodness does that mean I don’t give money to certain terrorist groups or act for organisations?

Maybe a good example is that Military Personel or their families are not permited to eat in McDonalds as apparantly the Company contribute to I.R.A and other interlinking groups such as E.T.A. Well, I personally don't eat fast food anyway so it isn't an issue but interesting nonetheless. I don’t eat fast food like that no matter what and prefer to go hungry if in the city and need food but that is beside the point. I fit a criteria that is acceptable to all through no choosing of my own so have been able to integrate in many communities and countries without question. The only problems I have ever encountered are due to my parents jobs, independent (private fee paying educatiuon if any American reads this and doesn't understand the terminology for e.g)schooling and the fact that I am supposedly upper middle class and am often given a hard time with that. Therefore, I have no real personal experiences on 'discrimination thanks to race or religion except that which I have encountered due to my illness but that is totally different yet again...)except for when with b/friends or my ex-fiancé.

The classic example would be Vejay and our fantastic journey following the TDF in 01. O.k, this isn’t about being ‘in’ Spain but many times we were more than close enough and Sp/France share many views on those of different religions/colour.

VJ cannot speak French and we did most of the route by motorbike which obviously only needed me to take off my helmet to ask for help and received great instructions; superb hospitality when booking our hotels prior to departure and great reception when arrived at most of them. Then, along our carefully scheduled route I suddenly started to have an uneasy feeling and began noticing certain things like for example walking up L’Alpe D’Uez and not seeing one single ‘brown’ face. The Americans we parked by as we chose to stop there ignored him totally and would only speak to me! V.J is an amazingly talented sportsman let alone educated individual but they only spoke with me. How come? He is an Engineer; can build a fantastic bicycle or even motorbike from what was essentially nothing special at all and minus the d.violence incident is a remarkable human being. (urgh, I so hope he isn’t reading this!!! LOL) He was looked down on for the colour of his skin and religion be it Hindu or Muslim, Christianity or even Buddhism ~ how would anyone know from looking at him or even myself for what it is worth ~ yet my goodness, those that we stood waiting with would have learned and had way more of an interesting conversation with him than they did with me!

Now, Vejay is just VJ to me and I never did, nor looking back on our photos ever saw/see him as being ‘dark’ or ‘different’ but so many others as it turned out did. It culminated on Luz Ardiden and of all the thousands of people we had walked past; stood waiting with, chatted to, cheered on no matter what guy was leading he was still the only ‘dark/brown’ face I ever saw on all those stages! How could this be so out of the millions that watch the TDF at the roadsides?!

The reality finally struck home when we were in Limoux at the most beautiful hotel and people were bending over backwards to help me carry luggage etc and try and help me check my email on their system (which they didn’t have to do at all) until Vejay finally walked in after securing a safe parking space and checking out our new location and suddenly the mood turned sour. We went out to eat and sat next to a couple who turned out to be British too. We had a fun evening until even that turned as they were drunk and suddenly the conversation turned against VJ because of his religion and colour of skin! They happened to be staying at our hotel too and it became rather unpleasant to say the least. Suddenly reception were calling me for all kinds of trivialities and accusations like we had been eating in our room for one. I told them they knew we left the hotel early and returned late as we were following the Tour so how could we have been eating in our room? Then the final straw was being accused of us phoning reception late at night to ask for more wine and a particular brand of cigarettes. Now, I don’t drink but do smoke (I KNOW>>>MY BAD!) and then it all came to a full stop. No way had we called reception for alcohol as we were exhausted and asleep and in no shape needing to drink let alone VJ getting ‘phisshed’ despite liking his wine as following the Tour as many will know is actually really complicated so we had to get as much shut eye as possible let alone the fact that neither of us smoke the brand we were accused of asking for. It was a classic example of racism and I did defend Vejay the day we checked out by asking to speak with the Manager and put a complaint in writing about the subject. Basically, a luxury silver service hotel had no wish for a ‘dark face’ to be accommodated and have never heard back to this day regarding my complaint!

So referring back now to Nurul and the comment of the school children being alarmed or confused when the subject came up of being Muslim.

Well, briefly Asturias is a massive area in the North of Spain whose major cities include Gijon, Aviles and Oviedo. Oviedo was one of the small enclaves to have never been invaded by the Moors. I don’t know the ages of those pupils or exact location but presume they must be young to be startled at such a fact of anyone being friends with a Muslim? Go to the Northern areas of Spain and you will see blonde haired children/adults as opposed to the atypical dark brooding Latino looks that we characteristically believe to be those of the Spanish.

Spain has been influenced through so many centuries by many diverse cultures and is a country with an amazing variety of landscapes and ways of living! Humidity; scorching heat, constant rain or pounded upon by an intense sun. Its beautiful richness has been built up in the past by the Iberians; Celts, Greeks, Phoenicians, Romans, Goths, Moors, Jews, Muslims and Christians. Yet to this day I think that am right in saying 94 percent of Spain’s 40/41 odd million population are Christian Catholics. Islam was the country’s main religion for almost 800 years until the Catholic monarchs as in the infamous names of Ferdinand from Aragon and Isabel from Castille married in order to create that much needed as they saw it union between two of the most prominent and influential ‘districts’ in 1469, in order to finally oust the Moors with the final touch of regaining control of Granada in 1492 and then went onto set off exploring through Columbus et al.

So, a long post with some history, questions of you Nurul and Lim too in order to hopefully make me aware of what I have never had to experience. I will sit back now with my C.Sport and read the Pantani article (may he Rest In Peace…I still cannot believe he has gone) in particular and apologise for such a long post but I felt it was needed?

Love, Alice x

Alice,

thanks for this very detailed answer : it is terrible that your b/friend was subjected to this type of racist treatment - it is wholly unacceptable that people are treated this way in the 21st century.

You ask me if I have ever expreienced racism ?
Well it helps to give you some background detail.
I was born and educated in Dublin and I work as an Accountant.
I am Roman Catholic too.
I'm lucky in the my work has brought me to many parts of the world, Britain, France, Canada, U.A.E., Malaysia, Germany and Italy.

When i was growing up in Dublin, I was lucky to be born in to what would be consider an affluent family.
I was raised playing sport - rugby, cricket etc.
Not a typical irish background but not that different to other people of my age.
Ireland was under the rule of Britain for a long time, therefore sports like rugby and cricket are considered 'foreign games' in our country.
Our national game is Gaelic Football and Hurling.
In my school days, our educators never exposed us to these games.
Playing cricket and rugby brought me in to contact with people from various backgrounds and religions.
you ghave got to remember 95% of Ireland is Catholic : so effectively, Protestants, Jews, Muslims here are the the vast, vast
minority.
I guess amongst my friends, i was the exception in that I had friends who were Protestants, Catholics and Jews.
I have Portestant frinds who live in northern Ireland, for example.

As regards my travels, I have never, ever experienced any racist remarks whatsoever.
Even when the IRA were bombing mainland Britain, did I ever get
any racist remarks made toward me, when I was in Britain
In fact, I would say that the British are the most tolerant poeple
in the world, in my opinion.

I do notice however that when I travel in countires where english is not spoken as the first language, that once a person in that country here's me speaking english, they automatically assume that I must be English/British.
(I do have an Irish accent but this accent probably doesn't make
any impact to a foreign ear !!!!).
As soon as I say inform the person that I am Irish - they immediately become more freindly becuase they realise I am not British (this happens a lot in, especially, Germany/France/Italy :
where, for whatever reason, they don't appear to warm to the British as they do the Irish - and all my friends have reported
similar stories).
I want to emphasise again that we Irish are welcomed everywhere in my experience and this is why we always extend a
warm welcome to people who visit our country.
Look at our football supporters, for the past 10 years or so, the
'green Army' have palyed in the world cup and played in most countries - not once have any irish supporters been arrested/ or
charged with bad behaviour.

Hey Lim and Nurul

Love, Alice x

Hi guys.
I have been down with a nasty virus so this weekend I will be catching up on the threads and consolidating my views offered last week and tying them in with your questions Lim. Alice i am glad to see you have rationalised your views and have been less haeavy handed with your emotions on us. One small point is so what if people dont put their views forward. At least they are reading. And as for "Indurain's era and Spain"??? Someone mentioned people would have written more about that. Well yes because it is ieasier to write about. Most people are not even basically learned in US foreigh policy nor their own country's foreign policy. So why expect them to write. Jsut cos they like road bikes does not mean they know much about the world about them. Lets face it, a lot of people in England are so ignorant that they think that one can just turn up and enter the Tour de France so how are cyclists expect to diplomatically address the ideas of international realtions, mid east politics, the rise and fall of the shah tied into Europe's sipport of Husssein agaisnt the backdrop of the Cold War and beyond. So let's not concentrate on smaller issues such as who does or does not write cos that turns into the epitomy of intagibility. Unfortunately Spain for most people in the UK, incl cyclists, is one big beach, sangria, sex and paella and endless days of sun. So why spoil the illusion for those who decide to visit torremolinos, salou, benidorm and the rest of the costa del mierdas. Let them stay there and have their fun and be constantly ******, sunburnt like a lobster adn dressed in their short skirts in the rain.
I will return with the issues adressed by yourselves (Alice adn Lim).
Hasta ahora

Alice,

thanks for this very detailed answer : it is terrible that your b/friend was subjected to this type of racist treatment - it is wholly unacceptable that people are treated this way in the 21st century.

You ask me if I have ever expreienced racism ?
Well it helps to give you some background detail.
I was born and educated in Dublin and I work as an Accountant.
I am Roman Catholic too.
I'm lucky in the my work has brought me to many parts of the world, Britain, France, Canada, U.A.E., Malaysia, Germany and Italy.

When i was growing up in Dublin, I was lucky to be born in to what would be consider an affluent family.
I was raised playing sport - rugby, cricket etc.
Not a typical irish background but not that different to other people of my age.
Ireland was under the rule of Britain for a long time, therefore sports like rugby and cricket are considered 'foreign games' in our country.
Our national game is Gaelic Football and Hurling.
In my school days, our educators never exposed us to these games.
Playing cricket and rugby brought me in to contact with people from various backgrounds and religions.
you ghave got to remember 95% of Ireland is Catholic : so effectively, Protestants, Jews, Muslims here are the the vast, vast
minority.
I guess amongst my friends, i was the exception in that I had friends who were Protestants, Catholics and Jews.
I have Portestant frinds who live in northern Ireland, for example.

As regards my travels, I have never, ever experienced any racist remarks whatsoever.
Even when the IRA were bombing mainland Britain, did I ever get
any racist remarks made toward me, when I was in Britain
In fact, I would say that the British are the most tolerant poeple
in the world, in my opinion.

I do notice however that when I travel in countires where english is not spoken as the first language, that once a person in that country here's me speaking english, they automatically assume that I must be English/British.
(I do have an Irish accent but this accent probably doesn't make
any impact to a foreign ear !!!!).
As soon as I say inform the person that I am Irish - they immediately become more freindly becuase they realise I am not British (this happens a lot in, especially, Germany/France/Italy :
where, for whatever reason, they don't appear to warm to the British as they do the Irish - and all my friends have reported
similar stories).
I want to emphasise again that we Irish are welcomed everywhere in my experience and this is why we always extend a
warm welcome to people who visit our country.
Look at our football supporters, for the past 10 years or so, the
'green Army' have palyed in the world cup and played in most countries - not once have any irish supporters been arrested/ or
charged with bad behaviour.
Needless to say I find your recent anecdotes and experiences fascinating Alice and I feel for you and what you have seen and what you have expericned and i have very birefly read your notes and Lim's too. Just to add some substance to my experience I have lived and worked and studied in about 5 regions in Spain,France, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden, Nigeria, Zambia, Antigua, Bangladesh as well as visits to Poland, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland. I have had the fotune and misfortune of having grown up in a small anglo non diverse city in the north west of the UK but the pleasure of reading international relations in a large multi ethnic city, thus going through the processes of marginalised by the anglo majority until the age of 18 and marginalised by most of the asian majority and most of the anglo majority as an undergrad. A member of my family has recently stepped down as Chairman of a certain Racial Equality Committee for a certain region of the Uk opffering me more and real exposure to current trends. I spent most of my 20s living outside of the British isles in teaching and corporate postions and a great deal of contact with embassy staff and with NGO friends and links.
So tomorrow when i respond to you guys, Lim and Alice, I hope that short of posting my CV (;)) you can start to begin to take on board my views, experinces and observations, hoping too that I have maybe been involved or seen maybe one or two degree more than the average anglo saxon in this country.
Take care

I’ve been away for a while, and want to comment on some of what has been said & happened since the bombing.

Translated by Alicem from N in Spanish
I have lived in Northern Ireland and been there in Barcelona when they blew up my 'local shop' called PRYCA. My Mum was scared stiff for me and my other University friends, but, you know what? We wern't scared. It made us dig deep down inside with a stronger resolution that ever. Army brats don't lie down easily.
I think this is exactly the right attitude to combat terrorism—don’t allow yourself to be terrorized.

'They' won't crush me and they certainly won't make me step down from this free forum as we know it as. 'They' want that and sorry; tough ***, it isn't about to happen! Another thing that amazes me is this forums' posting; the ammount who have 'viewed' this thread yet not posted really does make me wonder where people are coming from...."My life is o.k as long as no one I know is dead or hurt so can carry on peddalling" ~WAKE UP CALL~.
I think that most people probably feel that they have nothing to say, or don’t want to open themselves up for attack on such a personal issue. For those that do feel that their life is OK as long as nobody they know is dead or hurt—I hope this is a wake-up call. Regardless, it is important to keep on pedaling. To do otherwise is to give up.

I have to apologize for being one who didn’t realize the full importance of terrorism until 9/11/01. I was angry when they threw a wheelchair guy off the Achille Lauro. ****** at the airplane brought down over Lockerbie Scotland, and other incidents. I also have to apologize for being somewhat unaware of events affecting other countries (our press will tell us 189 died in the bombing. 2 Americans are among the dead).

9/11/01 was my wake-up call. I was teaching science in a public school in Frederick MD (about 45 min. from Washington, DC by car). Kids were terrified, parents were picking them up, the administrators told us not to give the kids information about what was happening so rumors flew. Some of my students had parents who worked in DC. One had a mother who worked in the Pentagon (though she was not in the building when the plane hit). One lost an uncle in the attack, though strangely he was not worried at the time. I now work in New Jersey and many of my students and colleagues here lost friends and family member in the towers. While I understand their choice of targets, only one was a military target. While I grieve for those lost at the Pentagon, they were at a military installation—a legitimate target (though the choice of weapon was illegitimate). I am angry for those on the plane in DC, and the one in Pennsylvania. I am also angry for those lost in NY. I now care about terrorism wherever it is. Deliberately targeting civilians is wrong. Those who do so should be hunted down and brought to justice. Supporting terrorists is also wrong. Those who do so should also be brought to justice.

I am disappointed that the Spanish have decided to abandon us in Iraq. Iraq was a state supporter of terrorism. That alone justified the war in my mind.

Originally posted by bioguy
I’ve been away for a while, and want to comment on some of what has been said & happened since the bombing.

Translated by Alicem from N in Spanish

I think this is exactly the right attitude to combat terrorism—don’t allow yourself to be terrorized.

I think that most people probably feel that they have nothing to say, or don’t want to open themselves up for attack on such a personal issue. For those that do feel that their life is OK as long as nobody they know is dead or hurt—I hope this is a wake-up call. Regardless, it is important to keep on pedaling. To do otherwise is to give up.

I have to apologize for being one who didn’t realize the full importance of terrorism until 9/11/01. I was angry when they threw a wheelchair guy off the Achille Lauro. ****** at the airplane brought down over Lockerbie Scotland, and other incidents. I also have to apologize for being somewhat unaware of events affecting other countries (our press will tell us 189 died in the bombing. 2 Americans are among the dead).

9/11/01 was my wake-up call. I was teaching science in a public school in Frederick MD (about 45 min. from Washington, DC by car). Kids were terrified, parents were picking them up, the administrators told us not to give the kids information about what was happening so rumors flew. Some of my students had parents who worked in DC. One had a mother who worked in the Pentagon (though she was not in the building when the plane hit). One lost an uncle in the attack, though strangely he was not worried at the time. I now work in New Jersey and many of my students and colleagues here lost friends and family member in the towers. While I understand their choice of targets, only one was a military target. While I grieve for those lost at the Pentagon, they were at a military installation—a legitimate target (though the choice of weapon was illegitimate). I am angry for those on the plane in DC, and the one in Pennsylvania. I am also angry for those lost in NY. I now care about terrorism wherever it is. Deliberately targeting civilians is wrong. Those who do so should be hunted down and brought to justice. Supporting terrorists is also wrong. Those who do so should also be brought to justice.

I am disappointed that the Spanish have decided to abandon us in Iraq. Iraq was a state supporter of terrorism. That alone justified the war in my mind.

I read your reply with interest.
And the view that you take is very interesting.

I'm going to be devils advocate here because this whole subject needs some balance.
Before posting some points, I do not think that this Forum is the
most suitable place to discuss this item.
However I feel the need to reply to some of your statements.

You say that you were a bit ****** about Lockerbie and the Achille
Lauro.
How ****** were you about this matters ?
Maybe 10% ****** ? Or was it closer to 50% ****** ?
Did you watch them on the news and think "oh that's terrible but
it doesn't affact me here"
Or did it motivate you to think "why would someone want to do these terrrible things ?"
It wouldn't surprise me if it was the former - we are all the same,
if something terrible happens miles away from us, we note that it happened but we carry on just the same.

This is the issue.

Acts of war/terror happen all the time - all over the world.
9/11 - 3000 dead.
This affected you because it was on your doorstep so to speak.

Let me ask you.
Did the massacre of Muslims in Srebrenica by Serbs in July 1995, when 7000 men were executed in buildings and fields,
affect you ?
Probably not - I guess.
Twice the number of those who died at Sept 11th - were hearded
in to fields and buildings and systematically executed.

I'm not blaming you - what I am doing is pointing out to you that
perception and relativity influence how we react to events.

Because 3000 people died, you are now more aware of what goes on in the world.
Perhaps, perhaps, it might jolt you in to thinking "why would someone want to drive a plane in to a building ?"
Because no one kills themselves for no reason.
And this brings me to my point.
One mans terrorist - is another mans freedom fighter !
Those people who highjacked that plane did so because they
considered themselves freedom fighters.
Obviously, those on the receiving end consider them terroists.

George Washington was regarded by the British in the mid 18th century as a terrorist !

Irish Freedom fighters blew the British out of our country (Ireland) in the 1910-1920's.
Ireland was under British rule for 800 years - was what those men did in the 1910/20's wrong, in our to create our nation ?

There is no black and white issue in any of this.

Everyone - every nation has blood on it's hands and unless and until we all acknowledge this, this *** for tat cycle will continue.
There are no hard rules about who is right or wrong here.
People resort to terroism for a reason.
I'm not attempting to justify this - I simply make the point.
No one could condone what happened at 9/11 : but one has got to ask oneself the question : why would someone want to attack
my country because at the end of the day these people did what they did, for a reason.
People just don't kill other people for no reason.
And it behoves each region which suffers under terrorism to ask itself, what have we done to warrant this attack ?
What did we do to these people to make them resort to attacking us ?

Before posting some points, I do not think that this Forum is the
most suitable place to discuss this item.
Where would you suggest?

You say that you were a bit ****** about Lockerbie and the Achille
Lauro.
How ****** were you about this matters ?
Maybe 10% ****** ? Or was it closer to 50% ****** ?
Did you watch them on the news and think "oh that's terrible but
it doesn't affact me here"
Or did it motivate you to think "why would someone want to do these terrrible things ?"
It wouldn't surprise me if it was the former - we are all the same,
if something terrible happens miles away from us, we note that it happened but we carry on just the same.
I was 15 at the time of the Achille Lauro, and 18 at the time of the Lockerbie incident. To be honest, it really was the former. I was interested in beer and girls at the time. I apologize for having my head in the sand.

Acts of war/terror happen all the time - all over the world.
9/11 - 3000 dead.
This affected you because it was on your doorstep so to speak.
Indeed. It was my wake-up call.

{Snipped incidents of mass death}
Don’t forget the genocide in Rwanda.

One mans terrorist - is another mans freedom fighter !
I make the distinction between a terrorist and a freedom fighter by the target which they choose. A terrorist attacks civilians. A freedom fighter attacks military targets. I could count those who flew into the pentagon as freedom fighters if they had not taken a planefull of innocent civilians with them.

Irish Freedom fighters blew the British out of our country (Ireland) in the 1910-1920's.
Ireland was under British rule for 800 years - was what those men did in the 1910/20's wrong, in our to create our nation ?
If they targeted innocent civilians then it was wrong.

There is no black and white issue in any of this.
Right and wrong. Not black and white.

Everyone - every nation has blood on it's hands and unless and until we all acknowledge this, this *** for tat cycle will continue.
There are no hard rules about who is right or wrong here.
I disagree. There are things that are right or wrong regardless of who is doing it. Our nation was founded on horrible atrocities against the native Americans. Owning and using slaves was wrong. The important thing is that we recongize these wrongs and make sure that we aren’t guilty of them again. I can’t affect things that happened 100 years ago, but I can affect things now.

but one has got to ask oneself the question : why would someone want to attack
my country because at the end of the day these people did what they did, for a reason.
Their goals are to destroy Israel and create a unified Wahabist state by force. They see the U.S. as an enemy because we support the continued existence of Israel and a stable mid-east. The strategic goal is to make us back away from our support of Israel and our other allies in the mid-east. I think I understand why they did what they did. I’m against it and I also think that their methods were wrong.

Originally posted by bioguy
Where would you suggest?

I was 15 at the time of the Achille Lauro, and 18 at the time of the Lockerbie incident. To be honest, it really was the former. I was interested in beer and girls at the time. I apologize for having my head in the sand.

Indeed. It was my wake-up call.

I make the distinction between a terrorist and a freedom fighter by the target which they choose. A terrorist attacks civilians. A freedom fighter attacks military targets. I could count those who flew into the pentagon as freedom fighters if they had not taken a planefull of innocent civilians with them.

If they targeted innocent civilians then it was wrong.

Right and wrong. Not black and white.

I disagree. There are things that are right or wrong regardless of who is doing it. Our nation was founded on horrible atrocities against the native Americans. Owning and using slaves was wrong. The important thing is that we recongize these wrongs and make sure that we aren’t guilty of them again. I can’t affect things that happened 100 years ago, but I can affect things now.

Their goals are to destroy Israel and create a unified Wahabist state by force. They see the U.S. as an enemy because we support the continued existence of Israel and a stable mid-east. The strategic goal is to make us back away from our support of Israel and our other allies in the mid-east. I think I understand why they did what they did. I’m against it and I also think that their methods were wrong.

I am answering your points in sequence : my editing is not very good to allow me to copy the points that you make and to allow me to put my response.

First point, i don't think that this Forum lends itself to posters articulating their thoughts in a user friendly way.

Obviously at 15 years of age, the weight of worldly issues isn't a
priority (it certainly wasn't with me, anyway !)

Yes, the genocide in Rwanda and Bosnia and all other events where people kill each other because one doesn't come from a certain religion or does not belong to a certain culture, are equally
terrible.

But what is right and what is wrong ?
You seem to think that right and wrong are clearly defined.
In an ideal world, right and wrong would be (should be) defined
but it isn't.
I don't want to personalise this to you or America : I could pose these same questions to a person from Britain/France/Germany/Belgium/Holland/Portugal (colonial powers).
What wrongs have you recognised in your country's behaviour in
the past 30 years ?
What about the ongoing wars in South America ?
What about US involvement in Guatemala ?
What about US involvement in Chile and Peru ?
USA backing of the removal of President Allende in Chile in 1973 and the installation of Agusto Pinochet - Allende was democratically elected but because he wasn't acceptable a coup was staged - have you any thoughts on this ?
Is ignoring the democratic voice of the people of Chile in 1973 wrong ?
What about El Salvador and the support of the USA there ?
Was any of this behaviour wrong ?
Did you recognise these wrongs ?
What about USA support of the Apartheid regime in South Africa ?
Your Vice President Dich Cheney called Nelson Mandela a terrorist,
in 1985.
this is less than 100 years ago : did you recognise Cheney's statement as being wrong ?
What about Columbia's elections in the late 1990's ?
President Chavez won the democratic election - yet the CIA tried to stage a coup there to overthrow him.
Was this right or wrong ?
Innocent targets and military targets.
What about the thousands of innocent Iraqis that were killed through 'so-called friendly fire' by US forces ?
Innocent targets : what about the BBC team that was attacked by US forces in iraq (John Simpson) : hit by a US pilot on the road between Baghdad and Kerbula ?
What about the murder of three Spanish reporters, in the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad when it was fired upon by US tanks ?
You and I can effect what is happening now.
But are we ? Are you asking your govermant about it's role in Iraq ?

Their goals are to destroy Israel and create a unified Wahabist state by force. They see the U.S. as an enemy because we support the continued existence of Israel and a stable mid-east. The strategic goal is to make us back away from our support of Israel and our other allies in the mid-east. I think I understand why they did what they did. I’m against it and I also think that their methods were wrong. [/B][/QUOTE]
yes, they want Israel to be wiped out.
Of course, after the second world war, the Jews needed to have a homeland and Britain and USA decided to create a state of Israel, on the landmass known as Palestine, in 1948.
So they hearded millions of people in to a territory which is less than 100 square miles and have kept these people in that territory ever since.
The Palestinians have been mistreated since 1948.
How would you like it if, one day, it's decided to annex New Jersey
and fill it with people from another country.
How would you feel ?

You see there is no definitive right or wrong here.
This is my point.
Yes, it is wrong to kill people but, but, if those who kill people are doing so because they have been on the receiving end of terrible acts, can we judge them to be wrong without recognising our culpability ?
Because we're all culpable here - none of us are completely right.

I think the sentiment expressed at the start of the thread was right.

For my part I get pretty ****** off when I see folks leaping to conclusions that it is ETA or Al Queda or whoever. There is a strong risk that the real culprits will be overlooked in favour of some folks who fit the pre-conceptions. If that happens those same bastards will be free to strike again, and that would be a very bad thing.

It is way too early to point the finger at any particular organisation yet. We need to be patient, and in the meantime do everything we can to assist the victims and the investigators.

Well it looks like my worst fears came true. The Spanish voted for whichever rights and believes they have, maybe distoted or not but the polls are in and al queada got what they wanted. Guess their next step is onto Britain.

Sorry but you may have missed the point : the election went against the PP for a number of reasons , one was the war which about 90% of the people are against , another is the change in the education system to eliminate state run universities only leaving private ( and expensive ) ones , then there´s the number of workers getting injured and not receiving compensation because the courts are ruling that as they continued to work in substandard conditions they gave up their rights etc etc etc etc.

But the big one is the way the CNI were ordered to say to their european colaboraters that it was the work of ETA before there was any evidence of anything , and are now being made a scape goat by the selective releasing of documents : that´s what did it the PP trying to use this horror to win the election by claiming it was , and could only be, ETA even going to the UN to get amotion against ETA without any evidence that it was ( in fact all the evidence that was found in the first hours indicated that it was some other group ).

The PP is now trying to " stuff " the constitutional court with nomines and apoint magistrates even though this is banned by the 1999 law on the subject , that of the transition .

No the terrorists have not won , simply more people got off their butts and voted ( remember that the PP got almost as many votes as last time but still lost 39 seats ) in a 77% vote . Maybe we just got tired of being ignored and lied too , one lie too many perhaps ?

One small irony is that the death toll could have been so much worse except the students who normally use that train were , in many cases ( my neighbour¨s stepson being one ) , not on the train because they were taking a " sickie " to prepare for a large anti-war , anti PP rally ( this got held " illegally " on the saturday night instead ) .

ps
Al Queada(?) is not a group so much as a franchise , like Mcdonalds ( though it probablly hasn´t killed as many ) , where groups got training , a pat on the head and a diploma and got sent on their way , all independent and hard to trace untill they act : small cells with little if any links too each other except in the past . fu*king hard to find and deal with unless you treat all arabs / moslems as terrorists ( did I here that the UK government has told the universities to spy on all " foreign " students ? ) and lock up everybody on suspicion .

Ps Limerickman only two people were murdered by tank fire at the Palestine Hotel , and only one Couso , who worked for telecinqo , was a Spaniard the other being an employee of reuters . ( I call it murder as it apears to have been preplanned )

Mind you it would be nice to go to war with the US and not have them kill more Brits than the enemy manages .

The 7 Spaniards killed were not Guardia Civil but members of the CNI , SID as was , the state spooks ( mind you one man was ex Guardia , with some relationship to a case that involved an arrested man being found dead in a river , investigation shelved of course , a couple of decades ago )

Right and wrong ? : you can find somebody who will justify anything and usually by giving it a misleading name ,
death penalty = deterent ,
selective assination = murder
colateral damage = murdering civilians
illegal combatants = POWs that you want to mistreat
etc

Originally posted by el Inglés
Ps Limerickman only two people were murdered by tank fire at the Palestine Hotel , and only one Couso , who worked for telecinqo , was a Spaniard the other being an employee of reuters . ( I call it murder as it apears to have been preplanned )

Mind you it would be nice to go to war with the US and not have them kill more Brits than the enemy manages .

The 7 Spaniards killed were not Guardia Civil but members of the CNI , SID as was , the state spooks ( mind you one man was ex Guardia , with some relationship to a case that involved an arrested man being found dead in a river , investigation shelved of course , a couple of decades ago )

Right and wrong ? : you can find somebody who will justify anything and usually by giving it a misleading name ,
death penalty = deterent ,
selective assination = murder
colateral damage = murdering civilians
illegal combatants = POWs that you want to mistreat
etc

El,

Re : The attack on the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad, BBC reported at the time that three Spanish news crew were killed under what is euphemistically called ‘friendly fire’ !
At the same time, an Al-Jazeera journalist (I can’t recall his name) was also killed by US friendly fire, at the Palestine Hotel.
The US forces claimed that they (US forces) were fired upon form the Palestine Hotel : thus they fired tank mortars in to the hotel in response.
This is the incident that I am quoting.

Regardless of the nationalities involved, the fact that US forces opened fire on a hotel which they knew contained only journalists (after all, the provided daily protection to the
journalists so that those journalists who were embedded – embedded being the term used by the army to describe those journalists who were given access to military information,
in return for reporting what the army wanted them to report ) is reprehensible.

This whole adventure in to Iraq and the subsequent loss of life and the ripples from this war will continue for years.
Look at the new book by NSC member Richard A.Clarke.
Clarke has served the NSC for the past 30 years – he served under for 4 US Presidents.
On the third day of the Bush presidency, he claims that he informed Bush of the threat posed by Al-Quaeda.
His information was ignored by the upper tier of the Bush government.
He claims that he provided them with several pieces of information warning that Al-Quaeda were planning to attack USA and he claims that Bush did nothing to prevent
those attacks happening, from the beginning of the Bush Presidency.
He was told to brief Condelezza Rice about Al-Quaeda.
Despite providing numerous reports to her about Al-Quaeda, when he met her face to face and began to discuss Al-Quaeda, I quote “from her facial expression, I could see that she had never heard of Al-Quaeda” !
This was after receiving hundreds of pages of intelligence information !

And when the Sept 11th happened, he was asked to attend the White House, in the immediate aftermath of the attack.
He assumed that he was being asked to brief the politicians about Al-Quaeda, only to be asked by Bush about possible Iraq connection to Sept 11th !
He informed the meeting that Bin Laden would never align himself with a secular regime such as Iraq and Saddam Hussein.
Cheney and Rumsfeld then told him that they believed that Iraq had been behind this attack and that he (Clarke) was to try to find evidence – any evidence – of Iraq’s alleged connection to Sept 11th attacks !
Former Treasury Secretary Paul O’Neill also has a book coming out in which he claims that Bush is not actually in control of his administration.
He claims that Bush has relinquished control of his administration and is merely the figure head for decisions taken by Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz.
These are two views from inside the cabinet of the US government.

If this is the sort of dysfunctionalism that is operating in the White House, God help us.

We have been lied to about Sept 11th (if Clarkes claims are true), we have been lied to about WMD, we have been lied to about the connection between Al-Quaeda and Hussein.
We’ve had the UN weapons inspectors vilified for not finding weapons, which were never there in the first place.

It is a tissue of flies.
And, you’ve got to remember that Bush was voted in under a cloud of suspicion, given the gerrymandering that happened in Florida.

Thousands of people have lost their lives through this whole conflict.
From those who lost their lives at Sept 11th – to the those innocent Afghans that were killed in that conflict – to those US/British soldiers killed in action in Iraq – to the thousands of innocent Iraqi’s killed – to the unleashing of age old Sunni/Shia tensions and the bombing at Kerbala – to the illegal imprisonment of those at Guantanemo Bay.
The whole thing has been a disaster.

Here is the interview which I refer to with Richard A.Clarke.

Interview: Richard Clarke

Julian Borger in Washington talks to former White House insider Richard Clarke about US's vulnerability to al-Qaida before the September 11 attack.

Tuesday March 23, 2004

JB: Condoleezza Rice wrote today in response to your book - that the Bush administration did have a strategy for eliminating al-Qaida and that the administration worked on it in the spring and summer of 2001? Is that true?
RC: We developed that strategy in the last several months of the Clinton administration and it was basically an update on that strategy. We briefed Condi on that strategy. The point is that it was done before they came to office and she never held a meeting on it. It was done before she asked for it.

JB: What about the claim that the administration did work hard on the issue?
RC: Its not true. I asked - on January 24 in writing to Condi - urgently for a meeting on cabinet level - the principal's committee - to review the plan and I was told I can't have that. It had to go to the deputies. They had a principals meeting on September 4. Contrast that with the principal's meeting on Iraq, on February 1. So what was urgent for them was Iraq. Al-Qaida was not important to them.
JB: In the plan developed under the Clinton administration, was the potential use of ground forces included?
RC: That option was included in the plan, and the Clinton people had never rejected it. Yes it was there. But when they finally did the ground invasion they kind of botched it, because all they did initially was send special forces with the northern alliance. They did not insert special forces to go in after Bin Laden. They let Bin Laden escape. They only went in two months after.

JB: So were there any principals meetings about al-Qaida in all this time?
RC: It didn't come up in the principal's meetings. Between April and July only four of the 30 or 35 deputy principal meetings touched on al-Qaida. But three of those were mainly about US-Pakistan relations, or US-Afghan relations or South Asian policy, and al-Qaida was just one of the points. One of the meetings looked at the overall plan. It was the July one. April was an initial discussion of terrorism policy writ large and at that meeting I said we had to talk about al-Qaida. And because it was terrorism policy writ large [Paul] Wolfowitz said we have to talk about Iraqi terrorism and I said that's interesting because there hasn't been any Iraqi terrorism against the United States. There hasn't been any for 8 years. And he said something derisive about how I shouldn't believe the CIA and FBI, that they've been wrong. And I said if you know more than I know tell me what it is, because I've been doing this for 8 years and I don't know about any Iraqi-sponsored terrorism against the US since 1993. When I said let's start talking about Bin Laden, he said Bin Laden couldn't possibly have attacked the World Trade Centre in '93. One little terrorist group like that couldn't possibly have staged that operation. It must have been Iraq.

JB: So what were all the principal's meetings about then?
RC: There were a lot of meetings on 'Star Wars'. We had a lot of meetings about Russia policy, because Condi is a Russian specialist. There were a lot of meetings on China.
JB: And after the February meeting any more on Iraq?
RC: Yes there were many more, it was central. The buzz in national security staff administration wanted to go after Iraq.

JB: Do you think they came into office with that as a plan?
RC: If you look at the so-called Vulcans group [Bush's pre-election foreign policy advisors] talked about publicly in seminars in Washington. They clearly wanted to go after Iraq and they clearly wanted to do this reshaping of the middle east and they used the tragedy of 9/11 as an excuse to test their theories.
JB: Do you think President Bush was already on board when he came to office.
RC: I think he was. He got his international education from the Vulcans group the previous year. They were people like Richard Perle, Jim Woolsey, Paul Wolfowitz. They were all espousing this stuff. So he probably had been persuaded. He certainly wasn't hearing any contrary view during this education process.

JB: If there had been meetings on terrorism in that first eight months, do you think it would have made a difference?
RC: Well let me ask you: Contrast December '99 with June and July and August 2001. In December '99 we get similar kinds of evidence that al-Qaida was planning a similar kind of attack. President Clinton asks the national security advisor to hold daily meetings with attorney-general, the CIA, FBI. They go back to their departments from the White House and shake the departments out to the field offices to find out everything they can find. It becomes the number one priority of those agencies. When the head of the FBI and CIA have to go to the White House every day, things happen and by the way, we prevented the attack. Contrast that with June, July, August 2001 when the president is being briefed virtually every day in his morning intelligence briefing that something is about to happen, and he never chairs a meeting and he never asks Condi rice to chair a meeting about what we're doing about stopping the attacks. She didn't hold one meeting during all those three months. Now, it turns out that buried in the FBI and CIA, there was information about two of these al-Qaida terrorists who turned out to be hijackers [Khalid Almidhar and Nawaf Alhazmi]. We didn't know that. The leadership of the FBI didn't know that, but if the leadership had to report on a daily basis to the White House, he would have shaken the trees and he would have found out those two guys were there. We would have put their pictures on the front page of every newspaper and we probably would have caught them. Now would that have stopped 9/11? I don't know. It would have stopped those two guys, and knowing the FBI the way they can take a thread and pull on it, they would probably have found others.

JB: So might they have stopped the September 11 attacks?
RC: I don't want to say they could have stopped the attacks. But there was a chance.
JB: A reasonable chance? A good chance?
RC: There was a chance, and whatever the probability was, they didn't take it.

JB: Condoleezza Rice argued today that when President Bush was asking you to find evidence linking September 11 to Iraq, he was simply showing due diligence, asking you to explore the options.
RC: That's very funny. There are two ways of asking. There's: 'check every possibility - don't assume its al-Qaida look at everybody'. That's due diligence. Then there's the: 'I want you to find every shred of evidence that it was Iraq and Saddam' - and said in a very emphatic and intimidating way, and the other people who were with me got the same impression as I did. This was not due diligence. This was: 'come back with a memo that says it was an Iraqi attack'.

JB: And when you didn't find any evidence, the memo was bounced back?
RC: Yes
JB: Stephen Hadley [deputy national security advisor] said he bounced it back saying just update this?
RC: Well as soon as he got it he said update it, even though it was very current. Hadley's a good lawyer, he knows how to cover his ass. He not going to write: 'I don't like the answer'. But when your memo is immediately bounced and its got very current information and its bounced back to you and you're told to do over, its pretty clear what the implication is.
JB What do you think drove these people on Iraq?
RC: Some are ideologues - they have a superpower vision of us reshaping the Middle East. Changing the historical balance. Condi Rice has this phrase: 'We needed to change the middle east so terrorists would not fly aircrafts into buildings'.

JB: Do you believe they felt they had to finish what Bush's father started?
RC: That's a big part of it. For Wolfowitz and Cheney feels some guilt for having stopped the war, a couple of days early, not that we should have marched on Baghdad but at least we should have gone after the Republican Guard.

JB: Do you believe there were also political motives.
RC: You have to bifurcate the White House team between the national security types and the political types. For the political types like Karl Rove this has been a godsend. They ran on the war in the congressional elections two years ago. They're running on the war now. They're painting this election as a vote on terrorism, a vote against Osama Bin Laden. And they're succeeding to a certain extent because 70 per cent of American people last year thought that Iraq had something to do with 9/11. But the political benefit clearly a secondary benefit.

JB: Do you believe the administration believed the intelligence on Iraqi WMD?
RC: We all believed Saddam had WMD. What I kept saying was: So what?. They said he could give it to terrorists. But I said he's not that stupid. If he gave WMD to terrorists he would lose power. The question was: Is there an imminent threat or had we contained him? And I thought we had successfully contained him. I didn't see it as a first-tier issue.
JB: Did the Pentagon and the office of special plans play an important role in the processing of intelligence?
RC: Certainly. The people in Rumsfeld's office and in Wolfowitz's operation cherry-picked intelligence to select the intelligence to support their views. They never did the due diligence on the intelligence that professional intelligence analysts are trained to do. [The OSP] would go through the intelligence reports including the ones that the CIA was throwing out. They stitched it together they would send it out, send it over to Cheney. All the stuff that a professional would have thrown out. As soon as 9/11 happened people like Rumsfeld saw it was opportunity. During that first week after September 11, the decision was made. It was confirmed by president We should do Afghanistan first. But the resources necessary to do a good job in Afghanistan were withheld. There was not enough to go in fast, to go in enough to secure the country. Troops were held back. There were 11,000 troops in Afghanistan. There were fewer in whole country than police in the borough of Manhattan

JB: The White House is suggesting that this is sour grapes from a Clinton holdover, scoring political points.
RC: I was a Bush [senior] holdover. I'm not a registered Demcrat. I don't want a job in the Kerry admin. What I want to do is to provide the American people with a set of facts and let them draw their own conclusions.

JB: What conclusions did you draw about President Bush's leadership style.
RC: He doesn't like to read a lot - not terribly interested in analysis. He is very interested in getting to the bottom line. Once he's done he puts a lot of strength behind pushing it, but there's not a lot of analysis before the decision.

JB: Do you think Britain had much influence in the run-up to the war?
RC: They would have done it without Britain. I don't think it made a lot of difference. I think the British were able to help Colin Powell to persuade them to go to the UN. It did go to the UN for a period of time, and it may have helped a little. It may also have forced president to issue a statement on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. He went out there and read the words like he was seeing them for the first time. There hasn't been a lot of follow through, and I don't think the Brits got very much. They got the minimum possible out of us. I think Blair tried to influence the decision making and thought he could do better inside, but his influence was small.

JB: What was Cheney's role in all this.
RC: Quite enormous. Huge. Very quietly and behind the scenes he sat in all the national security meetings chaired by Condi Rice, and no vice president had done that before. He would listen and then give his thoughts. But he bought the compromise that it was al-Qaida first, Iraq second.

Hey Guys

not feeling well again so have been afk (did u get yr St.Paddy's Day msg btw Lim?) yet am trying to read again. One thing that strikes is Nurul's absence and the comment on McDonalds.....they have innadvertently killed so many you wouldn't know(read a prior post of mine)

Will get back soon and irritate you all again ;)

Alice ***

( did I here that the UK government has told the universities to spy on all " foreign " students ? ) and lock up everybody on suspicion . [/B][/QUOTE]

forget the 'locking up' (what paper do you read to get that idea?) We arn't in China! ' just know' that all great students are 'spied' upon. How do MI5 get their recruits let alone double agents?

Too naieve Ingles.

Sorry, got to go and lie down again. 2 posts and am shot to pieces.

Alice x :(