Cone wrench size for Ultegra front hubs

Slider77

May 19, 2004
Do newer Ultegra front hubs take 13mm cone wrench for both the locknut and cone? My 13mm fits the locknut fine, but seems to have a fair amount of play on the flats of the cones themselves. It will work, but almost feels like it could almost use a 12 or something. Just wanted to double-check.

Slider77 said:
Do newer Ultegra front hubs take 13mm cone wrench for both the locknut and cone? My 13mm fits the locknut fine, but seems to have a fair amount of play on the flats of the cones themselves. It will work, but almost feels like it could almost use a 12 or something. Just wanted to double-check.

Did you try measuring it? :)

Slider77 said:

They are 13 mm, but often undersized by ~0.15 mm.
If your cone wrench is worn it will feel a little sloppy, but 12 mm wn't come close to fitting unless it is very worn and ready to be recycled.

daveornee said:
They are 13 mm, but often undersized by ~0.15 mm.
If your cone wrench is worn it will feel a little sloppy, but 12 mm wn't come close to fitting unless it is very worn and ready to be recycled.

That's good to know, I had been wondering about the same thing. Anyone have advice on what is a good routine schedule for overhauling (cleaning/repacking grease) on these types of hubs. I know riding conditions will vary but are we talking like 2000, 5000, 10000 miles? Thanks.