cone wrench: why so massive?

Michael

Guest
During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

--
Michael

Michael wrote:
> During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
> blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
> or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
> 15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
> cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
> would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.
>
> Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
> by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
> old this month.

I'd guess the 15mm was specifically made as a pedal wrench which would
account for the larger size.

Michael wrote:
> During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
> blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
> or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
> 15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
> cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
> would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.
>
> Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
> by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
> old this month.
>
> --
> Michael

It's a pedal wrench.

Paul Cassel wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> > During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
> > blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
> > or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
> > 15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
> > cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
> > would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.
> >
> > Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
> > by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
> > old this month.
> >

> I'd guess the 15mm was specifically made as a pedal wrench which would
> account for the larger size.

Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
cone wrench. I prefer thick jaws (more bearing surface) on wrenches that I lean
on. I like my set of Pedro tire levers but the "pedal wrench", if that's what
it is, seems ill-conceived.

--
Michael

Michael wrote:

> Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
> cone wrench. I prefer thick jaws (more bearing surface) on wrenches that I lean
> on. I like my set of Pedro tire levers but the "pedal wrench", if that's what
> it is, seems ill-conceived.

I think it more than possible. I own one.

Michael <[email protected]> writes:

> Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
> cone wrench.

There are quite a few pedals that demand a fairly thin wrench. (It's
probably still thicker than a cone wrench, or else the cone wrenches
are unusally thick.)

Michael wrote:
> During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
> blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
> or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
> 15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
> cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
> would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.
>
> Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
> by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
> old this month.
>
> --
> Michael

Like this one?
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...atafeed&source=9081&cm_pla=na&cm_cat=datafeed

Many pedals don't allow a full-width 15mm wrench to decrease the
q-factor.

Phil

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:54:04 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Cassel wrote:
>>
>> Michael wrote:
>> > During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
>> > blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
>> > or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
>> > 15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
>> > cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
>> > would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.
>> >
>> > Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
>> > by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
>> > old this month.
>> >

>> I'd guess the 15mm was specifically made as a pedal wrench which would
>> account for the larger size.

>Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
>cone wrench.

It might be a dual-purpose wrench for cones and pedals.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> > During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
> > blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
> > or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
> > 15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
> > cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
> > would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.
> >
> > Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
> > by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
> > old this month.
> >
> > --
> > Michael

> Like this one?
> http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...atafeed&source=9081&cm_pla=na&cm_cat=datafeed
>
> Many pedals don't allow a full-width 15mm wrench to decrease the
> q-factor.
>
> Phil

"q-factor" Would that be "lateral bending stress"? Makes sense to me that one
would want the distance between pedal and crank to be "vanishingly small" (as my
calculus text put it).

--
Michael

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:14:05 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

>During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
>blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
>or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
>15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
>cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
>would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

That wasn't a cone wrench. It was a pedal wrench.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:55:40 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

>"q-factor" Would that be "lateral bending stress"? Makes sense to me that one
>would want the distance between pedal and crank to be "vanishingly small" (as my
>calculus text put it).

Q-factor, as I understand it, is primarily considered a knee stress
issue; the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
the knees must deal with.
--

Werehatrack wrote:
> the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
> the knees must deal with.

It depends on each rider's anatomy. For any given rider, having the
pedals farther apart may match their knees' natural tendency (or is that
tendoncy? :) better, and vice versa.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Werehatrack wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:55:40 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"q-factor" Would that be "lateral bending stress"? Makes sense to me that one
> >would want the distance between pedal and crank to be "vanishingly small" (as my
> >calculus text put it).

> Q-factor, as I understand it, is primarily considered a knee stress
> issue; the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
> the knees must deal with.
> --
> Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> Some gardening required to reply via email.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Ah-h-h .. that makes sense too. Thanks.

--
Michael

"Victor Kan" <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Werehatrack wrote:
>> the farther apart the pedals are, the greater the angle which
>> the knees must deal with.

> It depends on each rider's anatomy. For any given rider, having the
> pedals farther apart may match their knees' natural tendency (or is that
> tendoncy? :) better, and vice versa.

Which is why I find "KneeSavers" (pedal axle extenders to increase Q-factor)
to be a poorly-named product. They probably saved the knees of the guy who
invented them, but for most of the people out there, they'll do more harm
than good.