Confused about hybrids...

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by trinitykuo00, Jul 3, 2004.

1. trinitykuo00

trinitykuo00 New Member

I'm currently considering buying a bike, and I've pretty much settled on a hybrid bike. However, I can't decide on which one to buy! I'm planning on riding on the streets, bike paths, and in some charity rides as well. So far, I've looked at the following bikes:

Fuji Crosstown, Giant Sedona, Giant Cypress, Jamis Explorer 1.0, Jamis Explorer 2.0, Raleigh C30, Specialized Expedition, Specialized Crossroads, and Trek 7100.

As you may have noticed, I can only spend under $300 (preferably under $250), due to the fact that I'm 16 and I have a very tight budget. :(

I'd really like to know which hybrids give me the most for for my money. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Tags:

2. keydates

keydates New Member

links to bike specs?

3. BassDave

BassDave New Member

Welcome, Trinitykuo00! I'm new here, too. Your post caught my attention because I have a very similar post to yours, as well as bugetary limitations. However, having now decided, I can tell you that the ones I test rode were all very similar. I decided to go with a bike shop that had financing [12 months no interest], and free adjustments as long as I own the bike. What I am going with is the Giant Cypress. I will mark as such on the poll.

What I was looking for was an aluminum frame, a front suspension fork, a seat suspension fork, and the more upright riding position. Check out my thread. Perhaps it may give you a few more ideas, staying around the $300 range.

Good luck!

4. trinitykuo00

trinitykuo00 New Member

Thanks for replying...I was beginning to think no one would ever reply :D ... I've narrowed it down to two bikes: the Specialized Expedition Sport and the Giant Sedona DX (click for specs). I happened to find these bikes' prices to be within my budget.

PseudoTrek: thanks for telling me about the test riding and your thread! I really appreciate it

Please look at the specs and let me know which has the better components (I honestly have no idea about which ones are better). THANKS AGAIN!

5. keydates

keydates New Member

I'll admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable of bikes/equipment on these forums; however, when looking at the two bikes and their specifications, I don't really see a big difference between the two.
    The Giant seems to have slightly better derailleur components, but it isn't that significant. It also has Slime tubes, which theoretically lessen the chances of a flat tire (from punctures).
    The Specialized, on the other hand, appears to have Megarange (I can't tell from the picture on the Giant) cassette, which would help if you have steep hills (otherwise it's pretty useless). The tires are flak, which I think work like Slime in that it should help reduce the chance of getting a flat.
    Aside from those things, the bikes essentially look the same. As always, choose what you like best.

6. spam

spam New Member

I bought a Giant Cypress and love it. I do largely street riding about 15 to 20 mi/day. Replaced the saddle with The Seat
    http://www.ergo-theseat.com and now it is really comfortable.

7. BassDave

BassDave New Member

You are most welcome. I am also still in the decision phase. The Giant Cypress IS still in the running, but I recently went to another bike shop that carries TREK and discovered that the Navigator 7100 is also in the running as a top contender. However, I DO like the bikes you are trying to decide about. In fact, I was once very serious about the Specialized you are looking at. However, I'm going for the bike with the taller tires as opposed to the more mountain bike style, such as is on the Specialized, Sedona, or Navigator 100. I still have almost a month to decide since I can't get one until my birthday [the first of August].

Good luck in your decision! I think you'd not go wrong with either one you get! :)

8. tonphil1960

tonphil1960 New Member

hi Psuedo, I just got home after riding a paultry 5 miles (what do you want for my first ride in many many moons) on my Trek 7100 with my daughter on her Trek Navigator 100, both are great bikes. I'd recommend the Trek 7100 to anyone who wants a fairly lightweight Hybrid, pedaling is effortless. Just got these bikes today, will keep forum posted as time goes by.

Regards Tony:)

9. BassDave

BassDave New Member

Yes, I bought the 7100 and am now enjoying bike riding again. Thanks! :)

10. philrush

philrush New Member

If you are "only" 16 and on a limited budget, and looking for a bargain, you might try this...
    visit your local police station and check out their 'inventory" of revered bikes. You may be able to buy it outright for a "steal". If they wont sell it outright, ask when their next auction/sale is scheduled, and consider attending.

Most likely, all they have are the cheal "Mart" type bikes, but you could get lucky.

It only takes a minute to visit........ummmm... unless they have a picture of you on the wall and you dont want to be reconised.. :)

11. Mr2cents

Mr2cents New Member

I purchased the trek 7100 hybrid bike about a month ago. I love this bike. It's just so comfortable. Like another poster stated the pedelling is effortless. I used to have a xmart bike. A mongoose xr-100 mountain bike.

I couldn't believe the difference between these 2 bikes. Comparing the mongoose to the trek, The trek 7100 is a cadillac, and the mongoose a yugo. Lol. Shifting on the 7100 is pretty smooth, the mongoose click, clak.

The mongoose weighs around 45 pounds, and was just an uncomfortable bike. I paid $150 for it..what a rip off. One thing I have never heard anyone commenting on concerning the 7100 is speed. I'm in my late forties, and not in the best of shape. I've been able to hit close to 25 mph on the hybrid. This is on flatland. The mongoose about 15 mph.

I got a great deal on the 7100. I only paid $269 for it. The bike really fits me well. I think this is the number one thing. Get a bike that fits you. Go to a bike shop ang get fitted. If your bike doesn't fit, you will not ride it long.

In closing I highly recommend the trek 7100. However, go to your local bike shop and ride as many different bikes as you can. You may find one you like better.

12. bubbajoelouie

bubbajoelouie New Member

I have a Trek 7200 which I have owned for about 3 years. Although I realize this is the next model up and slightly out of the $300 maximum, I just wanted to add that in general I am impressed with the quality of Trek and have never had any problems with my bike. The tradeoff between any of these models would be components, personal taste, weight, and how the bike feels under you when you take it for a test ride. For an easy to ride bike, Trek has satisfied me, although I may be moving into the road bike market in the next year, budget willing.
    Good luck.

13. toolbox63

toolbox63 New Member

Schwinn Suburban Sport is a great bike.

14. Bikerbill98

Bikerbill98 New Member

Checking the police station is a great idea! You can get a $500 bike for pennies. I purchased an entry level Bianchi road racing bike wiith Campy grouppo for my son for $250 when he was 12 and another when he was 15 for about the same cost.

Given you're a new rider, I can understand you choice, but if you rode a road bike you'd wonder what yo were thinking. good luck!

15. scottogo

scottogo New Member

Hello!
    Many excellent suggestions have been given so far.
    If you are mechanically inclined; classified ads, thrift stores and pawn shops are other market sources.
    I just went through a buying process. I had originally wanted a commuter style bicycle. It took some frustration and then figuring out (with the advice of other forum members and my own experience) that FIT is the most important factor. I liked the looks, features and components of many bikes but they did not feel right. So I ended up getting a Raleigh hybrid.
    Since you have narrowed your choices, if you go with the one that is the most comfortable, you will be happier longer and you will want to ride more often.

16. JudyMay

JudyMay New Member

Hi,
    I currently ride a Trek 7500... great bike!! however I need to get a pair of Bontrager 77 x 38C (40-622) tyres can you guide me to a dealer, tel. # etc. where I can make an online purcahse... I live in the Caribbean.