Confused about uniglide and hyperglide

Peterson Family

Guest
I have a noisy freehub on my 7-speed Shimano 105 hub. Looking to replace
like with like, I have been checking eBay for such a hub, thinking that I
would simply remove the freehub from the purchased item and be on my way.

Thing is, I cannot seem to find such a hub. The ones that I found that are
advertised as, for example, "Shimano 105 Rear HG Hub w Skewer 7 spd FH-1055
Grey ", appear on inspection (of the picture) to have uniglide freehub
bodies. These are distinguished by the thread for the cassette appearing on
the outside of the freehub rather than on the inside as on my current hub.

Link to eBAY item: http://tinyurl.com/225yd

WHAT am I missing here? The hubs on eBay are described as FH-1055 hubs,
which is exactly what is stamped on my rear hub. Yet the freehub on mine is
threaded for Hyperglide and the ones on eBay are uniglide.

Thanks for any help with explanation. I have already ordered the HG hub
that is for sale at Harris, the one with the solid axle, in order to use the
freehub from that one. Still I would like my confusion cleared up.

If it makes any difference, this hub is the original one that came with my
1992 (?) red Bridgestone RB-1.

Thanks,
Eric Peterson

Peterson Family wrote:
> WHAT am I missing here? The hubs on eBay are described as FH-1055 hubs,
> which is exactly what is stamped on my rear hub. Yet the freehub on mine is
> threaded for Hyperglide and the ones on eBay are uniglide.
>
> Thanks for any help with explanation. I have already ordered the HG hub
> that is for sale at Harris, the one with the solid axle, in order to use the
> freehub from that one. Still I would like my confusion cleared up.
>
> If it makes any difference, this hub is the original one that came with my
> 1992 (?) red Bridgestone RB-1.

At one point, Shimano made freehub bodies that are compatible with both
UG and HG. I have one of those. With the HG cassette, the lock ring
mates with the thread inside of the cylinder. The picture seems to show
the inside thread. To be sure, you can ask the seller about it.
GH

cc011 wrote:

> Peterson Family wrote:
> > WHAT am I missing here? The hubs on eBay are described as FH-1055 hubs,
> > which is exactly what is stamped on my rear hub. Yet the freehub on mine is
> > threaded for Hyperglide and the ones on eBay are uniglide.
> >
> > Thanks for any help with explanation. I have already ordered the HG hub
> > that is for sale at Harris, the one with the solid axle, in order to use the
> > freehub from that one. Still I would like my confusion cleared up.
> >
> > If it makes any difference, this hub is the original one that came with my
> > 1992 (?) red Bridgestone RB-1.
> >

> At one point, Shimano made freehub bodies that are compatible with both
> UG and HG. I have one of those. With the HG cassette, the lock ring
> mates with the thread inside of the cylinder. The picture seems to show
> the inside thread. To be sure, you can ask the seller about it.

It sort of looks that way to me too. I have 4 rear hubs that accept both hyperglide and uniglide.
Techincally speaking, I suppose they hyperglide with backward compatibility to uniglide.