Confused about uniglide and hyperglide

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peterson Family, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. I have a noisy freehub on my 7-speed Shimano 105 hub. Looking to replace
    like with like, I have been checking eBay for such a hub, thinking that I
    would simply remove the freehub from the purchased item and be on my way.

    Thing is, I cannot seem to find such a hub. The ones that I found that are
    advertised as, for example, "Shimano 105 Rear HG Hub w Skewer 7 spd FH-1055
    Grey ", appear on inspection (of the picture) to have uniglide freehub
    bodies. These are distinguished by the thread for the cassette appearing on
    the outside of the freehub rather than on the inside as on my current hub.

    Link to eBAY item: http://tinyurl.com/225yd

    WHAT am I missing here? The hubs on eBay are described as FH-1055 hubs,
    which is exactly what is stamped on my rear hub. Yet the freehub on mine is
    threaded for Hyperglide and the ones on eBay are uniglide.

    Thanks for any help with explanation. I have already ordered the HG hub
    that is for sale at Harris, the one with the solid axle, in order to use the
    freehub from that one. Still I would like my confusion cleared up.

    If it makes any difference, this hub is the original one that came with my
    1992 (?) red Bridgestone RB-1.

    Thanks,
    Eric Peterson

    Tags:

  2. cc011

    cc011 Guest

    Peterson Family wrote:
    > WHAT am I missing here? The hubs on eBay are described as FH-1055 hubs,
    > which is exactly what is stamped on my rear hub. Yet the freehub on mine is
    > threaded for Hyperglide and the ones on eBay are uniglide.
    >
    > Thanks for any help with explanation. I have already ordered the HG hub
    > that is for sale at Harris, the one with the solid axle, in order to use the
    > freehub from that one. Still I would like my confusion cleared up.
    >
    > If it makes any difference, this hub is the original one that came with my
    > 1992 (?) red Bridgestone RB-1.

    At one point, Shimano made freehub bodies that are compatible with both
    UG and HG. I have one of those. With the HG cassette, the lock ring
    mates with the thread inside of the cylinder. The picture seems to show
    the inside thread. To be sure, you can ask the seller about it.
    GH

  3. gwhite

    gwhite Guest

    cc011 wrote:

    > Peterson Family wrote:
    > > WHAT am I missing here? The hubs on eBay are described as FH-1055 hubs,
    > > which is exactly what is stamped on my rear hub. Yet the freehub on mine is
    > > threaded for Hyperglide and the ones on eBay are uniglide.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help with explanation. I have already ordered the HG hub
    > > that is for sale at Harris, the one with the solid axle, in order to use the
    > > freehub from that one. Still I would like my confusion cleared up.
    > >
    > > If it makes any difference, this hub is the original one that came with my
    > > 1992 (?) red Bridgestone RB-1.
    > >

    > At one point, Shimano made freehub bodies that are compatible with both
    > UG and HG. I have one of those. With the HG cassette, the lock ring
    > mates with the thread inside of the cylinder. The picture seems to show
    > the inside thread. To be sure, you can ask the seller about it.

    It sort of looks that way to me too. I have 4 rear hubs that accept both hyperglide and uniglide.
    Techincally speaking, I suppose they hyperglide with backward compatibility to uniglide.