Congestion Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gonzalez

Would London's Mayor be better advised into putting money raised from the Congestion Charge into
enhanced provision for cyclists than London's already excellent public transport system?
--
remove remove to reply

Gonzalez wrote:
> Would London's Mayor be better advised into putting money raised from the Congestion Charge into
> enhanced provision for cyclists than London's already excellent public transport system?

Given that the only 'enhanced provision' that cyclists really need are half-decent parking
facilities, paying for this wouldn't make much of a dent in the finances anyway. Unfortunately most
authorities seem to prefer painting stupid stripes on the roads and pavements in the most
inappropriate places.

James

"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Would London's Mayor be better advised into putting money raised from the Congestion Charge into
> enhanced provision for cyclists than London's already excellent public transport system?
> --
excellent public transport system?

I think you have mistaken London with somewhere else.

Gonzalez wrote:

No. HTH.

> excellent public transport system?
>
> I think you have mistaken London with somewhere else.

Two weeks ago I went mountaineering in North Wales. On Thursday night I parked my car in Stanmore,
at the foot of the M1, and travelled home to SE London using London's excellent railway network,
much of it underground. On Friday afternoon I left work at 5pm, walked to the superb local DLR
station in Lewisham and caught the train to Canary Wharf. At Canary Wharf I had a trouble free
change of trains and caught a stupendous Jubilee Line train to Stanmore. Lewisham to Stanmore (South
East to North West London) took less than 60 minutes for the bargain price of £3.40. By 6.30pm I was
at J4 of the M1 with three fellow mountaineers who had an equally trouble free trip to Stanmore.

London's public transport system is excellent.
--
remove remove to reply

In article <[email protected]>, Gonzalez
<[email protected]> wrote:
> London's public transport system is excellent.

Agreed. It seems strange to me that many will pick on an isolated incident of delay to 'prove'
just how bad it is, when a drive into London without some form of delay would be remarkable even
at 0400...

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman [email protected] London SW 12 RIP Acorn

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Would London's Mayor be better advised into putting money raised from the Congestion Charge into
> > enhanced provision for cyclists than London's already excellent public transport system?
> > --
> excellent public transport system?
>
> I think you have mistaken London with somewhere else.

No. London does have an excellent, but decaying, transport system. Both the tube and surface train
systems are extensive but have been starved of even the minimum investment needed to maintain the
system for at least 30 years. The bus system's main problem is that the roads are now clogged with
thousands of cars.

T

"Dave Plowman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, Gonzalez
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > London's public transport system is excellent.
>
> Agreed. It seems strange to me that many will pick on an isolated incident of delay to 'prove'
> just how bad it is, when a drive into London without some form of delay would be remarkable even
> at 0400...
>
Try getting the train everyday, try waiting for an hour outside London Bridge without an
explanation, try dirty smelly over crowded late trains. Try waiting on the platform only to be told
your train has been cancelled.

I haven't used the toy railway up to canary wharf recently but it used to be plagued by
software glitches.

Try getting from Lewisham to Croydon, or even better Bromley to Croydon.

With 8 million people packed so tightly together I think they could do a whole lot better.

That's why I cycle, even though the roads are ****.

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:45:48 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Gonzalez
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> London's public transport system is excellent.
>
>Agreed. It seems strange to me that many will pick on an isolated incident of delay to 'prove'
>just how bad it is, when a drive into London without some form of delay would be remarkable even
>at 0400...

Unless you want to use the Central, or Waterloo & City lines.

The rush hours are still chaotic, even with the transport system. Regards,

John

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Dave Plowman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Gonzalez <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > London's public transport system is excellent.
> >
> > Agreed. It seems strange to me that many will pick on an isolated
incident
> > of delay to 'prove' just how bad it is, when a drive into London without some form of delay
> > would be remarkable even at 0400...
> >
> Try getting the train everyday, try waiting for an hour outside London Bridge without an
> explanation, try dirty smelly over crowded late trains. Try waiting on the platform only to be
> told your train has been cancelled.

I think you should try living anywhere other than london.

>Try getting from Lewisham to Croydon, or even better Bromley to Croydon.

A truly delightful journey by the wonderful public transport system. Train from Lewisham to Eden
Park, they run every 30 minutes off peak. Then change to the sumptuously modern Tramlink service to
the heart of Croydon.

Bromley to Croydon is an equally tremendous trip. Bromley South to Beckenham Junction then the
fantastic Tramlink service.
--
remove remove to reply

Nick Finnigan wrote in message ...
>"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Lewisham to Stanmore (South East to North West London) took less than 60 minutes for the bargain
>> price of £3.40.
>
> 20mph and 17p a mile, which is about average for PT.

Although the bus into the centre of Stockport from where I live is 75p a
mile. Which is fairly typical for short journeys.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
(John Stuart Mill)

> Agreed. It seems strange to me that many will pick on an isolated incident of delay to 'prove'
> just how bad it is, when a drive into London without some form of delay would be remarkable even
> at 0400...

Or cite a single successful journey to "prove" just how good it is.

> Try getting the train everyday, try waiting for an hour outside London Bridge without an
> explanation, try dirty smelly over crowded late trains. Try waiting on the platform only to be
> told your train has been cancelled.
>
My son in Vermont tells me that Connex have just taken over the running of Boston's commuter trains.
Aren't they lucky. We get wonder working Americans, they get wonder working English.

Jeremy Parker

> >Try getting from Lewisham to Croydon, or even better Bromley to Croydon.
>
> A truly delightful journey by the wonderful public transport system. Train from Lewisham to Eden
> Park, they run every 30 minutes off peak. Then change to the sumptuously modern Tramlink service
> to the heart of Croydon.
>
> Bromley to Croydon is an equally tremendous trip. Bromley South to Beckenham Junction then the
> fantastic Tramlink service.
> --
I live a good two miles from Bromley South so its a bus first. Takes me over an hour and a half on
public transport, I can ride it in under 30 minutes. Although the tram link is good, a pity they
didn't extend it a bit further :eek:(

Which tubes are closed today?, central, and I think there are problems on bakerloo and jubilee.

Its a joke. It always astonishes me what low expectations people have.

Gonzalez wrote in message ...
>>Try getting from Lewisham to Croydon, or even better Bromley to Croydon.
>
>A truly delightful journey by the wonderful public transport system. Train from Lewisham to Eden
>Park, they run every 30 minutes off peak. Then change to the sumptuously modern Tramlink service to
>the heart of Croydon.
>
>Bromley to Croydon is an equally tremendous trip. Bromley South to Beckenham Junction then the
>fantastic Tramlink service.

You must be taking some really good drugs....

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
(John Stuart Mill)

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> I think you should try living anywhere other than london.
>
I would love to. But I guess thats not what you meant ;-).

Obviously London is a big city and because of the density of population PT will be better than out
in the sticks. But it could be a lot better, through trains, orbital trains etc. The dockland light
railway (I used to live on the Isle of dogs before it existed, they used to call it the Island
because it was so cut off) and Croydon tram link are good, but someone ought to bite the bullet and
build some more heavy duty stuff

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Try getting the train everyday, try waiting for an hour outside London Bridge without an
> > explanation, try dirty smelly over crowded late
trains.
> > Try waiting on the platform only to be told your train has been
cancelled.
> >
> My son in Vermont tells me that Connex have just taken over the running of Boston's commuter
> trains. Aren't they lucky. We get wonder working Americans, they get wonder working English.

I think they are French. You got to admire the French sense of humour :eek:(. TGVR at home,
connex abroad.

> >Try getting from Lewisham to Croydon, or even better Bromley to Croydon.
>
> A truly delightful journey by the wonderful public transport system. Train from Lewisham to Eden
> Park, they run every 30 minutes off peak. Then change to the sumptuously modern Tramlink service
> to the heart of Croydon.
>
> Bromley to Croydon is an equally tremendous trip. Bromley South to Beckenham Junction then the
> fantastic Tramlink service.
> --
> remove remove to reply

All some considerable distance from (a) the middle of London (b) the congestion charge area.

Status
Not open for further replies.