Congrats...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Anonymous, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Tags:

  2. Trg

    Trg Guest

    This is a copy of the email I have sent to your ISP, Cox. I have not as yet contacted Yahoo.

    I would like to bring to your attention the offensive and malicious use of your Internet Services.
    The following two messages (included below) were sent to the newsgroup rec.bicycles.racing by one of
    your subscribers, in violation of the Cox "Acceptable Use Policy" as found at
    http://www.cox.com/iNetIncludes/policy/acceptable.asp. As you can see from the Content, Subject and
    Reply-To fields of these postings, by forging my From and Reply-To address, using profanity directed
    at me, and intentionally attempting to have "spam" sent to my email address, several of your
    acceptable use policies have been violated, specifically-

    1. Prohibited Activities
    a.. Take part in any fraudulent activities, including impersonating any person or entity or forging
    anyone else's digital or manual signature.
    b.. Invade another person's privacy, stalk, harass, or otherwise violate the rights of others.
    c.. Post, transmit, or disseminate content that is threatening, abusive, libelous, slanderous,
    defamatory, incites hatred, or is otherwise offensive or objectionable.

    12. Electronic Mail Further, forging, altering or removing electronic mail headers is prohibited.

    These two posts were made from the same IP Host- 68.107.19.248, (staticly assigned I conclude, based
    on postings made by the same user on different days), using the same mail program (Forte Agent
    1.93/32.576 ) within minutes of each other. I have included the entire header including Path,
    Message-ID and X-Trace. I am sure that this will be sufficient for you to trace the origin of these
    offensive postings and take appropriate action.

    I look forward to your response.

    ws.com!cox.net!news-xfer.cox.net!p01!news2.central.cox.net.POSTED!53ab2750!n ot-for-mail

    >Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing Subject: Congrats... Reply-To: [email protected] Message-ID:
    ><[email protected]> X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English
    >(American) MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding:
    >7bit Lines: 5 Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:37:36 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.107.19.248 X-Complaints-To:
    >[email protected] X-Trace: news2.central.cox.net 1063067856 68.107.19.248 (Mon, 08 Sep 2003
    12:1:36 EDT)

    >[email protected]
    >
    >Consider yourself added to the spambot list dumbass...

    >From: Ronde Chimp <[email protected]> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing

    >trg wrote:
    >>,Petacchi became only the third rider in history to win stages in all
    three
    >>grand tours in the same season and the first to do it since 1958.
    >

    >shit. Some of us tape the race to watch later...unless a useless punter like yourself posts
    >the results.
    >

    >Thx, Ronde Chimp

    ---

  3. Runkle

    Runkle Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This is a copy of the email I have sent to your ISP, Cox. I have not as
    yet
    > contacted Yahoo.
    >

    > I would like to bring to your attention the offensive and malicious use of your Internet Services.
    > The following two messages (included below) were sent to the newsgroup rec.bicycles.racing by one
    > of your subscribers, in violation of the Cox "Acceptable Use Policy" as found at
    > http://www.cox.com/iNetIncludes/policy/acceptable.asp. As you can see from the Content, Subject
    > and Reply-To fields of these postings, by forging my From and Reply-To address, using profanity
    > directed at me, and
    intentionally
    > attempting to have "spam" sent to my email address, several of your acceptable use policies have
    > been violated, specifically-
    >
    > 1. Prohibited Activities
    > a.. Take part in any fraudulent activities, including impersonating any person or entity or
    > forging anyone else's digital or manual signature.
    > a.. Invade another person's privacy, stalk, harass, or otherwise violate
    the
    > rights of others.
    > a.. Post, transmit, or disseminate content that is threatening, abusive, libelous, slanderous,
    > defamatory, incites hatred, or is otherwise
    offensive
    > or objectionable.
    >
    > 12. Electronic Mail Further, forging, altering or removing electronic mail headers is prohibited.
    >

    > These two posts were made from the same IP Host- 68.107.19.248, (staticly assigned I conclude,
    > based on postings made by the same user on different days), using the same mail program (Forte
    > Agent 1.93/32.576 ) within
    minutes
    > of each other. I have included the entire header including Path,
    Message-ID
    > and X-Trace. I am sure that this will be sufficient for you to trace the origin of these offensive
    > postings and take appropriate action.
    >
    > I look forward to your response.

    Wow. That is really going to change things around here. I look forward to a new age where we all
    discuss topics without the use of profanity!

  4. Trg

    Trg Guest

    If his provider gets enough complaints and he has to go shopping for a new ISP, he might think twice
    next time he forges someone's email address. Although judging from his level of wit and
    sophistication, it's more likely that he's a 15 year old kid and his dad will suspend his computer
    priveleges for a month.

    "Runkle" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...

    > "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > This is a copy of the email I have sent to your ISP, Cox. I have not as
    > yet
    > > contacted Yahoo.
    > >

    > > I would like to bring to your attention the offensive and malicious use
    of
    > > your Internet Services. The following two messages (included below) were sent to the newsgroup
    > > rec.bicycles.racing by one of your subscribers, in violation of the Cox "Acceptable Use Policy"
    > > as found at http://www.cox.com/iNetIncludes/policy/acceptable.asp. As you can see
    from
    > > the Content, Subject and Reply-To fields of these postings, by forging
    my
    > > From and Reply-To address, using profanity directed at me, and
    > intentionally
    > > attempting to have "spam" sent to my email address, several of your acceptable use policies have
    > > been violated, specifically-
    > >
    > > 1. Prohibited Activities
    > > a.. Take part in any fraudulent activities, including impersonating any person or entity or
    > > forging anyone else's digital or manual signature.
    > > a.. Invade another person's privacy, stalk, harass, or otherwise violate
    > the
    > > rights of others.
    > > a.. Post, transmit, or disseminate content that is threatening, abusive, libelous, slanderous,
    > > defamatory, incites hatred, or is otherwise
    > offensive
    > > or objectionable.
    > >
    > > 12. Electronic Mail Further, forging, altering or removing electronic mail headers is
    > > prohibited.
    > >

    > > These two posts were made from the same IP Host- 68.107.19.248,
    (staticly
    > > assigned I conclude, based on postings made by the same user on
    different
    > > days), using the same mail program (Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 ) within
    > minutes
    > > of each other. I have included the entire header including Path,
    > Message-ID
    > > and X-Trace. I am sure that this will be sufficient for you to trace the origin of these
    > > offensive postings and take appropriate action.
    > >
    > > I look forward to your response.
    >
    > Wow. That is really going to change things around here. I look forward
    > a new age where we all discuss topics without the use of profanity!

    ---

  5. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If his provider gets enough complaints and he has to go shopping for a new ISP, he might think
    > twice next time he forges someone's email address. Although judging from his level of wit and
    > sophistication, it's more
    likely
    > that he's a 15 year old kid and his dad will suspend his computer
    priveleges
    > for a month.

    You're dreaming and you may as well be pissing up a rope!

    Dashii

  6. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:57:59 +0200, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > 1. Prohibited Activities
    >a.. Take part in any fraudulent activities, including impersonating any person or entity or forging
    > anyone else's digital or manual signature.

    I'm sure they'll appreciate your posts from your modified email address too....

    >a.. Invade another person's privacy, stalk, harass, or otherwise violate the rights of others.

    Like the right to be free of dumbasses like you posting race results?

    >a.. Post, transmit, or disseminate content that is threatening, abusive, libelous, slanderous,
    > defamatory, incites hatred, or is otherwise offensive or objectionable.

    Like the right to be free of dumbasses like you posting race results?

    >12. Electronic Mail Further, forging, altering or removing electronic mail headers is prohibited.

    Like the way you altered your email address?

    Waahhh!

    Yeah, posting your email address for the spambots was kinda mean, but you really pissed me off. So
    [email protected] I promise I'll never forge your address again. In fact [email protected], from
    here on out, I'll only sign my own email address. Does that sound fair [email protected] ?

    And for the record, the IP address is my neighbors' wireless access point. If you get him/her shut
    down I'll have to associate my laptop to one of the three other signals on my street...gasp!!!

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

    Attention spam-bots: please do not send spam to [email protected] Thanking you in advance....on
    behalf of [email protected]

  7. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Ronde Chimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > And for the record, the IP address is my neighbors' wireless access point. If you get him/her shut
    > down I'll have to associate my laptop to one of the three other signals on my street...gasp!!!

    That uh, doesn't sound terribly legal. Perhaps someone should alert his neighbors.

    -Sonarrat.

  8. Trg

    Trg Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
    [email protected]
    > "Ronde Chimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > And for the record, the IP address is my neighbors' wireless access point. If you get him/her
    > > shut down I'll have to associate my laptop to one of the three other signals on my
    > > street...gasp!!!
    >
    > That uh, doesn't sound terribly legal. Perhaps someone should alert his neighbors.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Well, I doubt he's really using his neighbor's wireless, but were that the case, he'd likely be
    violating federal and possibly state law including (according to the FBI)- theft of services,
    interception of communications, misuse of computing resources, up to and including violations of the
    Federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Statute, Theft of Trade Secrets, and other federal violations.

  9. Trg

    Trg Guest

    "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news: [email protected]

    > "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If his provider gets enough complaints and he has to go shopping for a
    new
    > > ISP, he might think twice next time he forges someone's email address. Although judging from his
    > > level of wit and sophistication, it's more
    > likely
    > > that he's a 15 year old kid and his dad will suspend his computer
    > priveleges
    > > for a month.
    >
    > You're dreaming and you may as well be pissing up a rope!
    >
    > Dashii

    You're probably right. In fact his dad will probably be proud of him. "That's my boy. A chip off the
    old block".

  10. "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
    > [email protected]
    > > "Ronde Chimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > And for the record, the IP address is my neighbors' wireless access point. If you get him/her
    > > > shut down I'll have to associate my laptop to one of the three other signals on my
    > > > street...gasp!!!
    > >
    > > That uh, doesn't sound terribly legal. Perhaps someone should alert his neighbors.
    > >
    > > -Sonarrat.
    > >

    > Well, I doubt he's really using his neighbor's wireless, but were that the case, he'd likely
    > be violating federal and possibly state law including (according to the FBI)- theft of
    > services, interception of communications, misuse of computing resources, up to and including
    > violations of the
    Federal
    > Computer Fraud and Abuse Statute, Theft of Trade Secrets, and other federal violations.

    Somebody's using their neighbor's wireless?

    Wow, that's really terrible. Sounds like a regular Terrorist - I hope they prosecute him under the
    Patriot Act along with all those violations you mention.

    Is there any way to get him for Assault or Kidnapping too? He deserves it.

  11. Road God

    Road God Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <SNIP>

    Yo TRG, you're acting like a dweeb. You screwed up and posted race results in the header - a boner
    move. I was pissed off too - though I didn't put your email out there for the spambots. Maybe I
    would have if I'd been smart enough to think of that...You started posting here in July - so you
    should have known better than do a newbie move like that. Your bad.

    Trying to get RC booted is a baby move and doesn't do much to ingratiate yourself to RBR. RC's posts
    for the most part are constructive and welcome, and often funny. [BTW, whatever happened to Ronde
    Champ? He seemed to disappear off the face of the earth]

    If you can't take the heat get out of the newsgroup.

    I also seriously doubt that connecting to somebody's wireless network is a violation of any laws,
    unless the network is intentionally closed. I've yet to hear of a prosecution anywhere of somebody
    connecting to a network that is broadcasting its SSID and is not using WEP. In fact, in many cities
    (mine included) there are hundreds of intentionally open WAPs specifically there to allow public
    access to the internet.

    and make up. Then move on.

    My $.02

    Road God [email protected]

  12. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Road God wrote:
    > Yo TRG, you're acting like a dweeb. You screwed up and posted race results in the header - a
    > boner move.

    I disagree. The bonehead move is coming into rbr expecting not to see the results. That's why it's
    called a newsgroup.

  13. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Well, now that I know that there are some folks who would rather not see the results in the header,
    I won't do it again, and I apologize if I messed up their suspence, BUT, as you say, I've been here
    since July and

    1) I haven't seen this "rule" mentioned in that time
    2) I looked for the R.B.R charter where such a rule should be stated and the charter either doesn't
    exist or it is well hidden. It doesn't seem to be automatically posted every month as is the norm
    3) This "rule" is not mentioned in the rec.bicycles faq
    4) What I did find was a description of R.B.R which describes it as "Race results, racing
    techniques, rules, and organizations. Not racing equipment -- see rec.bicycles.marketplace or
    rec.bicycles.tech" Note the prominent position of "Race Results"- 1 of the 4 things this NG was
    create for. Not posting Race Results in the Header is counter-intuitive
    5) As was mentioned by other posters, if you don't want to see race results, you probably better not
    read this newsgroup since they could appear in any thread.

    But as I say, I apologize to those who this disappointed and will not do it in the future (although
    for R.C. I may send personalized emails to him with the latest race results in the header if he
    keeps pestering me).

    " "Road God" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
    [email protected]
    > "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > Yo TRG, you're acting like a dweeb. You screwed up and posted race results in the header - a boner
    > move. I was pissed off too - though I didn't put your email out there for the spambots. Maybe I
    > would have if I'd been smart enough to think of that...You started posting here in July - so you
    > should have known better than do a newbie move like that. Your bad.
    >
    > Trying to get RC booted is a baby move and doesn't do much to ingratiate yourself to RBR. RC's
    > posts for the most part are constructive and welcome, and often funny. [BTW, whatever happened to
    > Ronde Champ? He seemed to disappear off the face of the earth]
    >
    > If you can't take the heat get out of the newsgroup.
    >
    > I also seriously doubt that connecting to somebody's wireless network is a violation of any laws,
    > unless the network is intentionally closed. I've yet to hear of a prosecution anywhere of somebody
    > connecting to a network that is broadcasting its SSID and is not using WEP. In fact, in many
    > cities (mine included) there are hundreds of intentionally open WAPs specifically there to allow
    > public access to the internet.
    >

    > and make up. Then move on.
    >
    > My $.02
    >
    > Road God [email protected]

  14. Sabine

    Sabine Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This is a copy of the email I have sent to your ISP, Cox. I have not as yet contacted Yahoo.
    >

    > I would like to bring to your attention the offensive and malicious use of your Internet Services.
    > The following two messages (included below) were sent to the newsgroup rec.bicycles.racing by one
    > of your subscribers

    waaaaaaaah! Mommiee!!! The chimp wrote bad words!!!!

    This place never ceases to amaze the hell (heck?) out of me.

    Sabine

  15. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:07:00 +0200, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But as I say, I apologize to those who this disappointed and will not do it in the future (although
    >for R.C. I may send personalized emails to him with the latest race results in the header if he
    >keeps pestering me).

    Ok, nuff said. I apologize for putting you at the mercy of the spam bots. That was a low thing to
    do. I'd just sat down at my tivo to watch the race when I glanced at my outlook and lo and behold
    there was your "the butler did it" email header.

    Needless to say I was p*ssed...

    I'll play nice from here on out...

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

  16. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Ok I'm over it. Sorry I messed up your tivoing. Let's move on.

    -trg

    "Ronde Chimp" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:07:00 +0200, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >But as I say, I apologize to those who this disappointed and will not do
    it
    > >in the future (although for R.C. I may send personalized emails to him
    with
    > >the latest race results in the header if he keeps pestering me).
    >
    > Ok, nuff said. I apologize for putting you at the mercy of the spam bots. That was a low thing to
    > do. I'd just sat down at my tivo to watch the race when I glanced at my outlook and lo and behold
    > there was your "the butler did it" email header.
    >
    > Needless to say I was p*ssed...
    >
    > I'll play nice from here on out...
    >
    > Thanks, Ronde Chimp

    ---