congrats

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. to David Millar.

    Last year he was the whining quitter. Now he becomes one of the few pasty Brits who can do something
    other than time trial (and crash).

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    news:D[email protected]...
    > to David Millar.
    >

    > Last year he was the whining quitter. Now he becomes one of the few pasty Brits who can do
    > something other than time trial (and crash).

    Yeah, that was a damn good move today!

    Mike

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I thought that it was a great move and I was happy for him..and Phil! In general I have been really
    disappointed in David. The low point for me was the last TT of this years TDF that he won. When
    Frankie interviewed him after the race David claimed that he only warmed up for about ten minutes.
    If the statement was true it shows that he still has a long way to go to become a real professional.
    If he blows off the preparation for a TT in TDF then what else is blowing off? I had hoped that he
    had matured a lot after his horrible DNF in last years Veulta.

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

    > news:D[email protected]...
    > > to David Millar.
    > >

    > > Last year he was the whining quitter. Now he becomes one of the few
    pasty
    > > Brits who can do something other than time trial (and crash).
    > >
    > Yeah, that was a damn good move today!
    >
    > Mike

  4. jim gravity

    jim gravity New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2003
    Nah, he's biding his time. He's supremely confident in his ability to win the tour, he knows that when he's ready to try, he'll win it. I think it's cool that he has enough perspective to realize racing isn't everything. He makes LANCE look like the robot that he is.

  5. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "jim gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anonymous wrote:
    > > If the statement was true it shows that he still has a long way to go
    > > become a real professional.
    >

    > Nah, he's biding his time. He's supremely confident in his ability to win the tour, he knows that
    > when he's ready to try, he'll win it. I think it's cool that he has enough perspective to realize
    > racing isn't everything. He makes LANCE look like the robot that he is.

    Are you joking?

  6. > I thought that it was a great move and I was happy for him..and Phil! In general I have been
    > really disappointed in David. The low point for me was the last TT of this years TDF that he won.
    > When Frankie interviewed him after the race David claimed that he only warmed up for about ten
    > minutes. If the statement was true it shows that he still has a long way to go to become a real
    > professional. If he blows off the preparation for a TT in TDF then what else is blowing off? I had
    > hoped that he had matured a lot after his horrible DNF in last years Veulta.

    "Recently I did my first 100K road race of the year. It was cold and wet, my mind was elsewhere, my
    motivation was low, and the race was long enough to count as my training for the day without me
    needing to do any extra. So, I got dressed, sat in my warm car doing the crossword puzzle until
    people started lining up, got on my bike for the first time all day, and rode to the start line. I
    used the first half of the race to sit in and warm up, bridged to the breakaway once things had
    settled down, and won the race."

    AHM, http://www.cycle-smart.com/coaching/articles/warmup.html

    Of course, this doesn't prove that Millar is really a pro. We don't know if he did the day's
    crossword puzzle.

  7. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    RWM wrote:
    > The low point for me was the last TT of this years TDF that he won. When Frankie interviewed him
    > after the race David claimed that he only warmed up for about ten minutes. If the statement was
    > true it shows that he still has a long way to go to become a real professional.

    I don't think you should take the "ten minutes" comment literally. It was Millar's way of saying
    "not very long."

  8. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > AHM, http://www.cycle-smart.com/coaching/articles/warmup.html
    >
    > Of course, this doesn't prove that Millar is really a pro. We don't know if he did the day's
    > crossword puzzle.

    I've seen guys get the bike out of the car, go into the change rooms, put the hot oil on their legs,
    wheel the bike to the start line and race (and do well). Come to think of it, I remember Johan
    Verhagen doing that a lot, and he probably didn't need to warm up :)

    Jeff