Congratulations to the Airbus A380, first flight.

BassDave

Jun 30, 2004
Congratulations to the Airbus A380 on it's first flight today. It looked like a flawless takeoff, smooth and looked good doing it! I hope it continues to go well. :)

Just looked at some pics. That's a big plane!

I was under the impression that huge planes were too costly to operate. After seeing this, I guess that's not the case.

cydewaze said:
Just looked at some pics. That's a big plane!

I was under the impression that huge planes were too costly to operate. After seeing this, I guess that's not the case.

Only if you're flying them half full (or half empty), I would think one plane carrying 800 people would be less costly than 2 with 400 people each.

And on a related note -- anyone riding the new compact double Campy with the compact-specific FD? How's it workin for ya???

Must be some long faces around at Boeing today -- or is this not considered a market share big ticket item. I wonder how many orders are in the queue for Airbus...

It's a multi billion dollar gamble. Airbus is betting on one large plane, while Boeing is going with long range midsize (787) as being more flexible. The A380 is more efficient with a full load, but the 787 is more efficient with fluctuating passenger levels. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Now, if they would just put a bike path in the A380, it would relieve the monotony of intercontinental travel. Sure is big enough to have one... and who wouldn't want to cycle across the Atlantic?

Even though Airbus and the media have made such a big deal out of the A380, it is currently only the fourth largest plane in the world. Order goes: Antonov 225, Lockheed C-5, Antonov 124, Airbus A380...

And the A380 is not getting as many orders as Airbus had hoped (still at less than 100, I think), while the Boeing 787 is currently getting LOTS of orders (over 200 so far) and the A380 has been on the market for a much longer time frame.

Brad1711 said:
Even though Airbus and the media have made such a big deal out of the A380, it is currently only the fourth largest plane in the world. Order goes: Antonov 225, Lockheed C-5, Antonov 124, Airbus A380...
It is the LARGEST passenger aircraft in the world. Stop talking shite. No one ever claimed it was the largest plane in the world so what was your little speech all about?

It sure has a lot of Merkins ******, including you by the sound of things..

Brad1711 said:

And the A380 is not getting as many orders as Airbus had hoped (still at less than 100, I think), while the Boeing 787 is currently getting LOTS of orders (over 200 so far) and the A380 has been on the market for a much longer time frame.

As of february 2005, 175 A380's had been sold by EADS.

Whether or not the Airbus takes its role effectively remains to be seen. Airbus has yet to earn favor with my airline mechanic/pilot colleagues for dependability. Airbus has had numerous critical issues, some which are not satisfactorily proven in the views of the pilots I know.
The Boeing plane is made to work with existing infrastructure and where they predict the market to continue to be. The Airbus design was intended to fill the latter 90s pre-9/11 role of large capacity to a given hub. This still relies on having many small planes to provide connections to the final destinations due to the size and wieght of the large plane.
The smaller Boeing plane is based on the market research telling them that the 777 and 767 are the best selling medium/large capacity planes they produce. The airlines requested a plane to be of the similar range with improved efficency and low operating costs and improved cabin comfort. One of those operating costs is to allow it to fly into airports of the already existing standard, thus allowing immediate usefulness.

Conniebiker said:
Whether or not the Airbus takes its role effectively remains to be seen. Airbus has yet to earn favor with my airline mechanic/pilot colleagues for dependability. Airbus has had numerous critical issues, some which are not satisfactorily proven in the views of the pilots I know.
The Boeing plane is made to work with existing infrastructure and where they predict the market to continue to be. The Airbus design was intended to fill the latter 90s pre-9/11 role of large capacity to a given hub. This still relies on having many small planes to provide connections to the final destinations due to the size and wieght of the large plane.
The smaller Boeing plane is based on the market research telling them that the 777 and 767 are the best selling medium/large capacity planes they produce. The airlines requested a plane to be of the similar range with improved efficency and low operating costs and improved cabin comfort. One of those operating costs is to allow it to fly into airports of the already existing standard, thus allowing immediate usefulness.

True! The A380 by no means spells the end of Boeing. I'm sure they'll survive and thrive as well. Thanks for the input, Connie. :)