CONI is investigating Di Luca and Mazzoleni

thecyclist said:
The King of Doping must be Armstrong. He used some kind of gene-doping. Riis only used the normal drugs like everyone else.
Are you Danish or are you a Beekeeper? :rolleyes:

Serafino said:
No, more so for than the "proteges" of the King of Doping Riis :rolleyes: (i.e the Brother of the Friend of Basso), and famous Spanish riders (i.e. Valv - PITI).

It's silly to dump riders for pure speculation. It should be innocent until proven guilty. Tainted victories then dealt with .....

In this case, its hard to understand the investigation starting in 6 months! :eek:
I'm ambivalent about the propriety of race organizers excluding suspected riders. I can agree with you that the UCI should treat the named suspects as innocent until proven guilty. But I qualify that stance with this caveat: Any rider who actually doped with Fuentes and was publically named by the Civil Guard as a suspect, and who continues racing, should be subject to very harsh punishment if they take any race wins now and are later convicted. When the organizers have to go back and reverse the official results, and deal with the negative fallout of a convicted doper having won their event, the legitimacy of the event iteself will be compromised.

Bottom line for me: If you've been named as a suspect for something that you know you're guilty of, and you choose to grab the spotlight of short-term glory anyway, there should be no mercy for you when you get convicted in a few months. The initial act of cheating was bad enough, but it would be extrodinarily selfish to compound your mistake by linking an entire race organization and the livelihoods of the people who comprise it to your imminent conviction. It would show an utter disregard for the impact of your actions on others. It would be like saying "Sure, I'll probably get busted in a few months and all these people will be harmed, but if it buys me an extra six months of glory, then to hell with them." I'd be in favor of huge civil penalties being assessed against all such riders, comensurate with the degree of damage they do to the reputation of the race.

If Di Luca is out there wininng the Giro and grabbing headlines while he knows he's under investigation and guilty as hell, then they should render him penniless for life if he ends up getting convicted and making a mockery of Italy's premier event. Increase the consequences for disregarding others.

All riders are being investigated as far as I'm concerned.
You can't put them all on the bench.

Here is the bablfish translation:

The prosecutors of the Italian olympic committee (CONI) introduced anti- Doping determinations against Danilo Di Luca and Eddy Mazzoleni.

The two wheel professionals lie at present with the 90. Edition of the giro d'Italia at the places one and two. Both are accused among other things to connections with the skandalumwobenen Dopingarzt Carlo Santuccione and other medical profession, reported the Italian sport daily paper "Corriere dello to sport" on Wednesday. Di Luca and Mazzoleni were already into the suction of determinations of the Italian law because of Dopings guessed/advised 2004. The determinations had been taken up by the Roman public prosecutor's office. In coming December a process is to begin. Now also the CONI wants to initiate an investigation. A two-year barrier threatens the two wheel professionals. The determination is led by Doping hunter Ettore Torri, which already leads the investigation against giro winner Ivan Basso.

Serafino said:
Oh boy,

Can you imagine the scandal if a possible Giro winner is busted :(

P.S. Translation please :)

Serafino said:
It's silly to dump riders for pure speculation. It should be innocent until proven guilty.
What course of action do you propose for riders caught on tape planning to bring dope into Europe from the U.S.? This goes a little beyond speculation.

Just Google Di Luca and Dr. Carlos Santuccione ("Ali the Chemist"), and you will come up with the "Oil for Drugs" Italian police sting in 2004

Santuccione/Ali already had already been suspended from working with CONI and learned a lot from Conchoni and Ferrari in the past

Di Luca was caught on tape by the police making a call to the good doctor in 2004. Di Luca apparantly was incredibly worried by a drugs test that he had been called in for by CONI. Santuccione reassures him that its just a standard test, and anyway his man on the inside will be seeing to it.

As for Mazzoleni, the evidence is much more concrete. Discussing EPO with Ali:
"I spoke with Danilo [Di Luca] because for Sunday, I've made 4,000 units in subcutaneous... and I'm riding Saturday... Saturday, there won't be any problems"

They think he also spoke about trying to import a new kind of EPO, only available in the US:
"We should maybe bring it in through England or Spain, tomorrow my girlfriend's coming up, and then there's the accountant, we should be able to do it. Above all, if you're not successful for the Giro, then for the Tour."

CONI took extra blood samples of Di Luca, Mazzoleni, Riccò and Simoni this week. As race leader Di Luca has to give urin samples every day after the race, this week (Zoncolan), CONI took an extra urin and blood sample of all 4 BEFORE the stage as well.

Edit: typo......