Connecting a childs bike to an adults bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rick, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I was considering buying a trailer-bike for my young daughter. This is one of those single wheel
    bikes which attach to the seat-post of an adults bike by a long arm.

    Then, last week when driving through a local town, I saw a man riding along with what seemed to be
    his daughter/son who was riding her/his own bike which was attached to the mans bike by some sort of
    linkage arm.

    Brilliant, I thought! I'll have one of those!

    The thing is - I cannot find anywhere that sells these linkages. Perhaps it was a home-made jobbie.
    Or perhaps I haven't found the right place yet.

    I should have stopped and asked the fellow when I saw him!

    Does anyone know where I could buy one of these linkage arms? (preferably in the UK - but I'd be
    prepared to buy from abroad if necessary).

    Many thanks - in advance

    Tags:

  2. Rick wrote:
    > I was considering buying a trailer-bike for my young daughter. This is one of those single wheel
    > bikes which attach to the seat-post of an adults bike by a long arm.

    One brand of these is called a "Trail Gator", and at least one UK shop has them online:

    http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/ctrailers/trailgator.html

    I considered one for my sone, but then remembered he'd have brakes, and knowing him, would use them,
    so went with a Trail-a-bike instead.

    Have fun.

  3. Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rick wrote:
    > > I was considering buying a trailer-bike for my young daughter. This is one of those single wheel
    > > bikes which attach to the seat-post of an adults bike by a long arm.
    >
    > One brand of these is called a "Trail Gator", and at least one UK shop has them online:
    >
    > http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/ctrailers/trailgator.html

    They are very common around Montréal. I have not used one, but careful observation of riders tells
    me that unless you want to ride less than 1 km at a time, avoid these like plague. I have seen some
    child bike leaning at 20-25 degrees while the parent bike was straight. And guess what happens when
    the child decides to lean to the right instead of to the left.

    Needless to say that even the Addams Trail-a-Bike -- which I scrapped because I found it too wobbly
    after some 1800 km -- seems a very stable contraption. Incidentally, the Trail-a-Bike is a good
    contraption if you think of doing 1000-1500 km in the life of the Trail-a-Bike. Since we rode that
    much in less than a year and since the hitch develop play over time (nothing unsafe, but very
    annoying), I took the plunge and invested in a Burley Piccolo.

    However, we ride nearly 2000 km per year with it and there is a second daughter to follow.

    Michel Gagnon