Conniving, Greedy, Lying, and Deceitful

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Wurm, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Published on Thursday, April 6, 2006 by the Bangor Daily News (Maine)

Conniving, Greedy, Lying, and Deceitful
    by Duncan E. Beaton

I have been a registered Republican since the early 1950s, as has my wife, Dot. In fact our dedication to the Grand Old Party was such that we used to ride our horses around our Buckingham Township, Pa., neighborhood with Republican candidates' bumper stickers on their backsides. Now, we never considered the implication, but we found out later that one of those candidates was a real "horsesass."

If we had horses today, that's right where we'd stick George Bush's bumper sticker, on our horse's asses.

This is the worst administration in our memory. As a Fiscal Conservative, I began disliking Bush when he proposed major tax cuts as a means to get elected in 2000. Despite that, given the choice of two inept presidential candidates we voted for Bush as "the lesser of two evils."

Little did we know.

Once elected he immediately borrowed $49 billion to fund the massive tax cut, which primarily benefited the wealthy, increased the deficit and the national debt.

After Sept. 11, 2001, I wrote an op-ed that appeared in the Bangor Daily News condemning the atrocity, but suggesting we need to find the root cause which drove those Arabs to do what they did. Despite numerous articles by people more knowledgeable than I or this administration on matters of the Middle East, urging the same, it has stupidly maintained its tunnel vision focusing only on terrorism and the terrorist, but not the root cause.

Instead, three years ago, Cheney (Halliburton), Bush and Rumsfeld, had allegedly already made plans to invade Iraq which many people suspect was for its oil. They built the case for war by giving us and Congress false information about Iraq's stockpile of weapons of mass destruction and its involvement in the Sept. 11 attacks. All lies with no foundation in fact.

So, for illegitimate reasons, we invaded the sovereign nation of Iraq, which was not threatening us.

Three years later we still have no business being there. Neither the Iraqis nor we can safeguard their oil facilities. Their infrastructure throughout the country is in shambles and newly "elected" government is mostly inoperable because of opposition from various fanatic religious factions and insurgents.

We have lost nearly 2,400 troops and thousands more have been maimed for life. Forty to 60,000 Iraqis have been killed and probably 100,000 wounded and maimed as well, nearly all civilians. Currently, our troops are at risk from fanatical insurgents and religious zealots.

They should not be.

Well, the time has come, long overdue, for our two senators to disavow this deceitful and conniving president and lead the Congress into forcing him to withdraw our troops from Iraq starting immediately. George "Dubya" never should have put our sons and daughters in harm's way for such a brainless mistake.

In fiscal matters, from 2001 through 2008, Bush will increase the National Debt by $3.919 trillion to a projected total of $9.689 trillion by 2008 according to the Office of Management and Budget. That's an average Annual Deficit of $489 billion, and a 72 percent increase in the national debt. Yet, he has the gall to cut many domestic programs including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Half or more of this debt increase has or will go toward financing this stupid Iraq war.

We can't impeach Bush because that would put Cheney in the Presidency. Unfortunately we have no recall mechanism that would allow us to remove an administration for egregious malfeasance in office.

The sad truth is that we are stuck with this deceitful collection of incompetents until 2009.

Perhaps the time has come to develop a more intelligent process for selecting presidential candidates that will save us from getting another loose cannon on a rolling deck.

Duncan E. Beaton is the former town manager of Easton and Mapleton-Castle Hill-Chapman, and is the current chairman of the Aroostook County Finance Committee.

© 2006 Bangor Daily News

At least some Repig backers are finally beginning to see the BushCo thugs for what they are.

Tags:

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

A good concise article from a Republican member.

It is reassuring to see that at least some in that party recognise the fiscal delinquency of the current US goverment.

War on terror/Homeland Security/Iraq/Afghanistan hegemony, is another
    prism through which the incompetence of that goverment can be judged.

Americans deserve better.

3. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I love it ...... What we need on this forum is someone that has time like you do Wurm to sit around and cruise all the difficult to find web pages that show a particular viewpoint. Then post them thinking everyone that reads them can see the way to enlightenment. But this poster must post something that conflicts with your postings...... We can call this imagined poster "The anti-Wurm "
    You should become a journalist for the World Weekly News and have a column dedicated to the anti-Bush readers.
    I had a professor in my university days give a lecture on proper letter writing of the editorial type... One of the points he made was that when a letter writer resorts to name calling and the use of nik-names he is either a angry individual or very immature individual who resorts to schoolyard tactics.

4. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

the us has become the ultimate schoolyard bully, with all the media jingoism that you describe to go along with it...

5. davidmc

davidmc New Member

This is all old news. Look at how Francis Fukuyama has admitted that he made a grave error in his theses regarding the neocon/pnac agenda. He is the "L. Ron Hubbard of neoconservatism" & stated that its a bunch of rubbish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Fukuyama
    What else do you need :confused: Too bad the administration is too proud/morally-weak to admit its errors :(

6. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

what i get from all this is there is a time to reevaluate one's belief associations in the light of current events, and be able to change stances when holding them up to the light of reality as it stands at the moment.

i remember speaking personaly with so many who voted clinton in, they were choosing changing party line affiliations in the interest of a true desire to improve their nation over remaing loyal to a leader they saw as taking the us dowm the wrong path. the economy, unemployment, failures in education, these were all deciding factors at that time.

today there are many true patriots, who served, have owned businesses, raised families and celebrated the fourth of july without fail who are plum disgusted with bush and his works, for good reason. let us not demean these folks, who are so representitive of the voting populus.

7. Wurm

Wurm New Member

"Difficult to find web pages"?? I hardly think commondreams.org is difficult to find. It's a pretty well known site.

Why don't you show me the overwhelming numbers of real conservatives, (as opposed to blinded neo-con shills such as yourself) that so disagree with the author's "particular viewpoint"? Or is that yet more of your wishful thinking?

Again with you brainless RW Sheep, it's 'attack the messenger and ignore the real problem'. Welp, I guess you haven't figured out yet that people aren't ignoring this stuff as you would have others believe.

Get over it wolfux - your Emperor has no clothes. The only question remaining here is: when will you finally realize and admit it - when they're ALL perp-walked into the next courtroom...or killed by angry mobs?

8. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Along the lines of my previous post, in that there is more nobility in admitting ones mistakes & moving on w/ progress than throwing away $ & lives into a black hole in a desperate attempt to save what little, if any, credibilty one may possess (the "dark-side"-aka, the bush admin.)
    Everyone knows thier negative morality/incredulity index except for them :rolleyes:

9. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Explain to me why why you think I am a "neo-con" instead of a "real conservative".... Or maybe I am a moderate Republican?

The "angry mob of 5."

10. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

it's hard to tell of late, since you broke your beaker you seem to have lost that certain characteristic...edginess.

11. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Yeah ..... today it hit me hard too.....I was craving bad, so bad, I actually went to McDonalds for a cup .....
    I may have sold my soul today for a cup of coffee but I think I did that in 8th grade to the devil.....

12. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Just checking in ;)

13. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Gee, I dunno...it may have something to do with constantly spinning the facts on the latest BushCo Crime of the Week. Many "moderate" Repigs (oxymoron) have realized that there is nothing moderate about BushCo.

Do I even have to point this out, or are you being your usual disingenuous self? Or is it your allergic reaction to cognitive dissonance that you've yet to cure?

14. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Show me where I have even dealt with any of the "supposed crimes" of Bush in the forums ...... I'm curious......

15. Wurm

Wurm New Member

You've already proven my point by using the term "supposed" in reference to BushCo's crimes, ie: if you don't know by now, then I can't explain it to ya.

16. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I do look at each individual situation and try not to generalize..... Again, you need to show me where I made statements on the current administration and their unconvicted crimes.....

17. Wurm

Wurm New Member

See post #15.

18. davidmc

davidmc New Member

This thread is still "going-strong" :confused: Goodie :p It is, sadly :( , a telling commentary on our current regime-BushCo. :mad:

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

You hit on a good point - it is important to evaluate politicians performances on an objective basis as opposed to a party political-allegiance basis.

20. Wurm

Wurm New Member

It's not simply a matter of political allegiance for me, because I blame also many of the Dems in Congress for the current state of affairs as much as the Repigs. Many of those who voted for the Iraq invasion, the sham 9/11 Commission, "Patriot" Act, gutting of the tax base through corporate welfare & giveaways, the enormous national debt, ad infinitum/ad nauseum...are Dems.

This includes Clinton for instigating the NAFTA and GATT treaties, among other things.

However, the Dem's erstwhile complicity in these matters pales in comparison to the Repig's largely illegal and treasonous agenda that we've witnessed since Jan. 2001.