Conquer the Canuck Tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by frank-in-toronto, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. I had great hopes of doing the 50KM ConquerTheCanuck on Saturday.
    But my experience in an earlier 14KM trail race this year in the heat
    told me very LOUDLY that I'd never finish 50 with any kind of
    shambling run even. So I cancelled that plan. However, this
    week I was overcome with the need to do more than the
    10 to 15 I have been doing all year so far.

    So, I'm in the 25KM tomorow. Not as prepared as I'd like.
    No rest today (12K training run this morning and I helped
    move a fridge too) but maybe a good night's
    sleep and lot's of carbs tonight will do the trick.

    we'll see...thehick
     
    Tags:


  2. On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:13:20 -0400, frank-in-toronto
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    >So, I'm in the 25KM tomorow.

    well, tomorrow was today. race went well. not too hot.
    good course layout with long recovery flats after
    most of the climbing sections. mostly in-forest.

    felt a bit wiped out afterwards. trying to figure
    out why. i believe i drank enough water.
    at one or two points i had that sloshy stomach
    feeling so i downed more salty crackers and pretzels.
    they served pizza afterwards, and i had 3 slices.
    i'm thinking that this was the culprit. i shoulda
    just had one and not made a pig of myself.

    not sure on my finish position but it'll be very
    close to the back. the only people i passed
    were doing the 50 K.
    ....thehick
     
  3. frank-in-toronto wrote:
    > >So, I'm in the 25KM tomorow.

    > well, tomorrow was today. race went well.


    Glad to hear it. Congrats!


    > felt a bit wiped out afterwards. trying to figure
    > out why.


    It's a *race*, and a pretty long one at that. If you don't feel wiped
    out afterward, you're doing something very wrong!


    > they served pizza afterwards, and i had 3 slices.
    > i'm thinking that this was the culprit. i shoulda
    > just had one and not made a pig of myself.


    After a 25k race? You gotta be kidding, Frank. You earned those 3
    slices, not just in a moral sense but physically by burning lots and
    lots of calories.
     
  4. On 2005-07-31, Charlie Pendejo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > frank-in-toronto wrote:
    >> >So, I'm in the 25KM tomorow.

    >> well, tomorrow was today. race went well.

    >
    > Glad to hear it. Congrats!
    >
    >
    >> felt a bit wiped out afterwards. trying to figure
    >> out why.

    >
    > It's a *race*, and a pretty long one at that. If you don't feel wiped
    > out afterward, you're doing something very wrong!


    I agree with this. I'm usually pretty wiped out after a half-marathon. I also
    eat pretty well after a long race. The last thing you need to do immediately
    after burning 2000 calories or so is "go on a diet".

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
     
  5. On 31 Jul 2005 05:39:03 -0700, "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    ....
    >> they served pizza afterwards, and i had 3 slices.
    >> i'm thinking that this was the culprit. i shoulda
    >> just had one and not made a pig of myself.

    >
    >After a 25k race? You gotta be kidding, Frank. You earned those 3
    >slices, not just in a moral sense but physically by burning lots and
    >lots of calories.

    well, the moral issue isn't tops on my mind, and it's not
    about the calories either. I had about 100 calories from
    gatorade just at race start and i ate another 375 calories
    throughout the race. But pizza is loaded with sodium and fat.
    i usually don't eat like that. that's why i figure the pizza did it.

    just a problem of lack of control. i was ok before the race
    and didn't have anything. i REALLY wanted to stop at McDonalds
    and get an english muffin with jam and maybe a coffee
    but with 3 hours plus on the trail coming up, i had some
    misgivings about doing #2 with mosquitoes ALL AROUND!
    once the race was over, i was weak (mentally). next time
    i'll pack more in the cooler.

    thanks for the kind words...thehick
     
  6. On 2005-07-31, frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 31 Jul 2005 05:39:03 -0700, "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    > ...
    >>> they served pizza afterwards, and i had 3 slices.
    >>> i'm thinking that this was the culprit. i shoulda
    >>> just had one and not made a pig of myself.

    >>
    >>After a 25k race? You gotta be kidding, Frank. You earned those 3
    >>slices, not just in a moral sense but physically by burning lots and
    >>lots of calories.

    > well, the moral issue isn't tops on my mind, and it's not
    > about the calories either. I had about 100 calories from
    > gatorade just at race start and i ate another 375 calories
    > throughout the race. But pizza is loaded with sodium and fat.
    > i usually don't eat like that. that's why i figure the pizza did it.


    There's a reason sodium and calories are appealing just after a
    race -- your body needs them.

    > just a problem of lack of control.


    Yes, but under most circumstances, you don't have this "problem",
    right ?

    > i was ok before the race
    > and didn't have anything.


    So you started with an empty fuel tank ... it's no wonder you were
    kind of hungry afterwards.

    > i REALLY wanted to stop at McDonalds
    > and get an english muffin with jam and maybe a coffee
    > but with 3 hours plus on the trail coming up, i had some
    > misgivings about doing #2 with mosquitoes ALL AROUND!


    I've never had a problem with this during a race. It can happen (it
    did to Paula Radcliffe), but it's only an issue if you have some sort of
    problem with your digestive system, at least in marathon and shorter.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
     
Loading...
Loading...