Consensus for attaining top speed power

Meek One

May 5, 2004
While I have definitely increased my mid-range power numbers both max and sustainable, I have recently noticed that my top speed is down substantially :( , which means I am not developing much power at high cadence, which makes sense since I haven't been training it at all. Before moving and before my PT, I had a small flat area between two hills that I could roll down to about 40km/hr and punch it to try to hit new two way highs, but like I mentioned have since moved from that area. I think I have an idea how to train top speed, but the forum consensus would be great to know. Thanks.

Speed is relatively meaningless in such a case. Unless you are focussing on a track sprint, your power numbers may be more truthful. Or, find a new sprint course...but wind etc. is always going to effect things.

Spunout said:
Speed is relatively meaningless in such a case. Unless you are focussing on a track sprint, your power numbers may be more truthful. Or, find a new sprint course...but wind etc. is always going to effect things.

OK, let's change this to high rpm power.

You've said in the OP that you've stopped training high rpm power. I'm proof that you don't have what you don't train ;)

I'm not sure if I get what you're asking. High speed/ high RPM power? Motor pacing, downhill sprints, or practice spinning out a small gear. IIRC, spinning out a small gear is one way to shoot for peak 5 sec power.

I agree somewhat with Spun that shooting for new top speeds isn't necessarily beneficial, but I still practice high speed sprints just because they feel different.

+1 on not knowing what you're (OP) talking about.:eek: If you want to go faster, either shift to a bigger gear without dropping cadence, pedal faster, or both. If you're in the right gear for your body, speed will be limited by available power in any case.

I'd suggest you try the idea you already have in mind, and educate the rest of us if it works.