Consensus on Rohloff 14-speed hubs?

Jack Kessler wrote:

> They're a novelty but they don't work? Everybody would and should have them
> but they're too expensive? The coming thing? Not worth the weight? Good
> for some uses but not others?

Oh yes they certainly work and the pros and cons have been discussed by
all replies so far bar one - reliability.

If you are touring anywhere remotely remote on rough roads, bus trips
etc the Rohloff is worth its weight in gold for its bombproof ness. You
just dont have to worry about anything going wrong, getting broken and
out of adjustment.

Cost is a consideration but I (mid 40's) am likely to wear myself out
before I wear my Rohloff out.

It's is one of those items that are rare in todays world, something
built with quality and longevity in mind, not just the next gimmick
added to a groupset to sell more bikes/components.

It takes a a whole different head space to go the Rohloff way, turning
away from the consumer culture that says 'its too expensive' to a long
term view that good tools will last you a life time.

CC

Per M-gineering:
>Rohloff don't do a skewer

Both of mine are held in w/skewers - but I don't see that as a weight factor bc
they're the same skewers that held the der system wheel in place.
--
PeteCresswell

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jack Kessler wrote:
>
>> They're a novelty but they don't work? Everybody would and should have
>> them
>> but they're too expensive? The coming thing? Not worth the weight?
>> Good
>> for some uses but not others?

> Oh yes they certainly work and the pros and cons have been discussed by
> all replies so far bar one - reliability.
>
> If you are touring anywhere remotely remote on rough roads, bus trips
> etc the Rohloff is worth its weight in gold for its bombproof ness. You
> just dont have to worry about anything going wrong, getting broken and
> out of adjustment.
>
> Cost is a consideration but I (mid 40's) am likely to wear myself out
> before I wear my Rohloff out.
>
> It's is one of those items that are rare in todays world, something
> built with quality and longevity in mind, not just the next gimmick
> added to a groupset to sell more bikes/components.
>
> It takes a a whole different head space to go the Rohloff way, turning
> away from the consumer culture that says 'its too expensive' to a long
> term view that good tools will last you a life time.
>
> CC

I wonder if they did the same thing like "Craftman's Tools" or "Snap On"
tools that it might give them a tremendous boost.
If it breaks they'll give you a replacement no cost no questions.
I love the things myself. Fantastic gearbox.

Per [email protected]:
> You
>just dont have to worry about anything going wrong, getting broken and
>out of adjustment.

I'd agree in spirit.

But to pick nits:
- The shift cables definitely wear at the hub end - but so slowly that I never
think about preemptive replacement and haven't broken one yet. But that's
probably because I've fooled around with different routings and had to change
cables when doing so.

- The hub will take submersion, but only so deep. Dunno what the consequences
of getting water into one are..

- By not following the oil change instructions precisely, I managed to over-fill
one of the older hubs and blew an oil seal. "Interesting" consequences when
descending a scree/gravel-strewn incline (i.e. the front brake is not an option)
after oil had dripped on the rear disc. They say that the seals have been
improved since and following the instructions to the letter would have avoided
that little problem.

- You can McGuiver a der, but not an internal hub.

But if I were going somewhere long and lonely I'd choose the internal hub.
--
PeteCresswell

Per Earl Bollinger:
>I wonder if they did the same thing like "Craftman's Tools" or "Snap On"
>tools that it might give them a tremendous boost.
>If it breaks they'll give you a replacement no cost no questions.

I tried taking Sears up on their warranty. Had a set of taps and dies (as in
many, many, many small parts). What failed was the container. The material it
was made out of just started falling apart after a few years. Technically, it
wasn't a tool - but the set's utility is greatly diminished if they can't be
stored in such a manner that the desired size can be easily found.

They welched. "We don't warranty the container, only the tool".
--
PeteCresswell

I have not yet and dont anticipate any problems with the Speedhub but i
have heard a few stories FWIW and Rohloffs after sales service in all
cases has been superlative.

CC

Jack Kessler wrote:
> They're a novelty but they don't work? Everybody would and should have them
> but they're too expensive? The coming thing? Not worth the weight? Good
> for some uses but not others?

These rohloff gearboxes sound interesting.

What's the lifespan of these things 10K...100K miles? How well do they
hold up in
rain/snow, etc?

I'd love to try one, but the cost is a bit much.

Eric

says...

>They're a novelty but they don't work? Everybody would and should have them
>but they're too expensive? The coming thing? Not worth the weight? Good
>for some uses but not others?

I've ridden these a couple of times for relatively short distances, less than
10 miles. They worked fine and felt like they had less internal friction that
the Nexus hub I regularly ride. If they weren't so damn expensive, I would
probably have one of these on my commuter.
--------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> says...
> >

> >They're a novelty but they don't work? Everybody would and should have them
> >but they're too expensive? The coming thing? Not worth the weight? Good
> >for some uses but not others?

> I've ridden these a couple of times for relatively short distances, less than
> 10 miles. They worked fine and felt like they had less internal friction that
> the Nexus hub I regularly ride. If they weren't so damn expensive, I would
> probably have one of these on my commuter.
> --------------
> Alex

Dear Alex,

It's likely that differences in wind, road, and tires on the bike rides
that you compared had more effect than any actual differences in
transmission efficiency between the Shimano Nexus and the Rohloff hubs.

When Kyle and Berto tested the efficiency of hub transmissions, those
two models were virtually indistinguishable:

http://www.ihpva.org/pubs/HP52.pdf

See Figure 9, which graphs averaged efficiency through all gears, and
Table 1, from which the figures were taken.

Riders, of course, can't tell anything directly about internal friction
losses. We can only notice misleading noises and estimate how fast
we're going for whatever effort we think we're putting into gears that
are probably different, while ignoring wind speeds, tire losses, and
inflation differences.

Even if we had duplicate bicycles, riders, and conditions, a 1% overall
difference in hub efficiency (more than measured by Kyle and Berto for
the Shimano and Rohloff hubs) would amount to only 18 seconds in 30
minutes on a 10 mile ride at 20 mph.

But I agree that two different [fill-in-the-blank]'s usually feel
different whenever I compare them with the sensitive seat of my pants,
even when I know that most of the feeling is actually in my head.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On 24 Apr 2006 12:17:01 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Alex Rodriguez wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>> says...
>> >

>> >They're a novelty but they don't work? Everybody would and should have them
>> >but they're too expensive? The coming thing? Not worth the weight? Good
>> >for some uses but not others?

>> I've ridden these a couple of times for relatively short distances, less than
>> 10 miles. They worked fine and felt like they had less internal friction that
>> the Nexus hub I regularly ride. If they weren't so damn expensive, I would
>> probably have one of these on my commuter.
>> --------------
>> Alex

>Dear Alex,
>
>It's likely that differences in wind, road, and tires on the bike rides
>that you compared had more effect than any actual differences in
>transmission efficiency between the Shimano Nexus and the Rohloff hubs.
>
>When Kyle and Berto tested the efficiency of hub transmissions, those
>two models were virtually indistinguishable:
>
>http://www.ihpva.org/pubs/HP52.pdf
>
>See Figure 9, which graphs averaged efficiency through all gears, and
>Table 1, from which the figures were taken.
>
>Riders, of course, can't tell anything directly about internal friction
>losses. We can only notice misleading noises and estimate how fast
>we're going for whatever effort we think we're putting into gears that
>are probably different, while ignoring wind speeds, tire losses, and
>inflation differences.
>
>Even if we had duplicate bicycles, riders, and conditions, a 1% overall
>difference in hub efficiency (more than measured by Kyle and Berto for
>the Shimano and Rohloff hubs) would amount to only 18 seconds in 30
>minutes on a 10 mile ride at 20 mph.
>
>But I agree that two different [fill-in-the-blank]'s usually feel
>different whenever I compare them with the sensitive seat of my pants,
>even when I know that most of the feeling is actually in my head.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

Horrors! I belatedly realized that I was exaggerating the
potential time difference due to a 1% transmission
efficiency difference at 20 mph for a 10 mile ride. It's not
even 18 seconds.

This calculator not only allows changing transmission
efficiency with lots of decimal places, but also
conveniently calculates times for distances:

http://w3.iac.net/~curta/bp/velocity/velocity.html

Put in 211.6 watts for the power to get 20 mph from the
defaults, including 95% efficiency, and put in 10 miles for
the distance--59.999 minutes.

Drop the efficiency to 94%, and the time changes to 60.2385
minutes, so 0.239 x 60 = only 14.3 seconds longer in a
half-hour ride, not the overblown 18 seconds that I
originally claimed.

The speed and time lost are less than 1% because a 1% power
change doesn't translate to a 1% speed change, since wind
drag and power required rise roughly with the cube of
velocity.

Of course, neither 14.3 nor 18 seconds is something that
we'd actually feel in a half-hour ride.

CF

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:17:01 -0700, carlfogel wrote:

> When Kyle and Berto tested the efficiency of hub transmissions, those
> two models were virtually indistinguishable:
>
> http://www.ihpva.org/pubs/HP52.pdf
>
> See Figure 9, which graphs averaged efficiency through all gears, and
> Table 1, from which the figures were taken.

I wonder how noticeable these "small" differences would actually be. Keep
in mind that 0% efficiency would mean you could not move at all. The kind
of difference we are talking about is, yes, a percentage or two of
complete efficiency, but that may be quite noticeable to an experienced
cyclist. Certainly the difference between the 93% efficiency of a
derailleur system versus the 90% of most hub gears would be
noticeable. If you think of it the other way, it is a 7% loss versus a
10% loss, which means a 40% increase in frictional losses from the
transmission.

> Riders, of course, can't tell anything directly about internal friction
> losses. We can only notice misleading noises and estimate how fast we're
> going for whatever effort we think we're putting into gears that are
> probably different, while ignoring wind speeds, tire losses, and
> inflation differences.

I think you can tell something about the frictional loss. If even the
best systems lose 7% of the rider's input, that puts these losses up there
near tire rolling resistance and air resistance at lower speeds.
Certainly you notice a similar decrease efficiency when you get a
slow leak -- often the feeling of the extra friction is the first
indicator that you have a tire going flat.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:33:57 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:17:01 -0700, carlfogel wrote:
>
>> When Kyle and Berto tested the efficiency of hub transmissions, those
>> two models were virtually indistinguishable:
>>
>> http://www.ihpva.org/pubs/HP52.pdf
>>
>> See Figure 9, which graphs averaged efficiency through all gears, and
>> Table 1, from which the figures were taken.

>I wonder how noticeable these "small" differences would actually be. Keep
>in mind that 0% efficiency would mean you could not move at all. The kind
>of difference we are talking about is, yes, a percentage or two of
>complete efficiency, but that may be quite noticeable to an experienced
>cyclist. Certainly the difference between the 93% efficiency of a
>derailleur system versus the 90% of most hub gears would be
>noticeable. If you think of it the other way, it is a 7% loss versus a
>10% loss, which means a 40% increase in frictional losses from the
>transmission.
>
>> Riders, of course, can't tell anything directly about internal friction
>> losses. We can only notice misleading noises and estimate how fast we're
>> going for whatever effort we think we're putting into gears that are
>> probably different, while ignoring wind speeds, tire losses, and
>> inflation differences.

>I think you can tell something about the frictional loss. If even the
>best systems lose 7% of the rider's input, that puts these losses up there
>near tire rolling resistance and air resistance at lower speeds.
>Certainly you notice a similar decrease efficiency when you get a
>slow leak -- often the feeling of the extra friction is the first
>indicator that you have a tire going flat.

Dear David,

I don't think that we directly notice extra friction at all.

That is, if we put out the same power (darned unlikely in
real life, but let's ignore that), we would notice only a
tiny speed variation or else a tiny change in effort needed
to achieve the same speed.

The variation is extremely slight.

Stick 211.6 watts into this calculator, accept the defaults,
and change the distance to 10 miles, roughly the kind of
ride that Alex mentioned (in perfectly good faith, I'm
sure):

http://w3.iac.net/~curta/bp/velocity/velocity.html

It predicts 20.00025 mph and 29.999618 minutes to cover 10
miles.

Drop the default 95% transmission efficiency to 94% and
calculate again.

It predicts 19.92081 mph and 30.119264 minutes for the same
10 miles.

The speed dropped less than 0.1 mph. The time increased from
1800 seconds to about 1807 seconds (darn, I goofed on two

I doubt that any rider can "feel" that his average speed is
going to add 14 seconds per hour or that one hub gear is
robbing him of 0.1 mph at 20 mph.

To illustrate how far below the likely threshold of our
sensitivity such tiny differences are, play with some of the
other fields on the same calculator. Same 211.6 watts and 10
miles, back to the default 95% efficiency--but let's raise
the temperature from 70F to 78F.

The warmer air isn't as dense, and I get a speed increase to
20.099 mph, about the same amount lost to a 1% transmission
efficiency drop. I think that most riders would be fooling
themselves if they believed that they could feel the speed
increase as the sun rose on a summer morning.

Back to the defaults, but now force the rider to battle a
0.13 mph headwind.

That tiny extra drag pretty much matches the 1% transmission
efficiency loss--the predicted speed drops to 19.92 mph.
Winds blowing more than 10 times that fast are almost
impossible to detect while standing still in the open, much
less bicycling at 20 mph.

Let's try again. Put the rider on a 0.03% grade. That's not
a modest 3.00% grade that rises 3 feet in a hundred feet,
but a 0.03% grade, a rise of 3 feet in ten thousand feet,
climbing a yardstick in about two miles.

That Alpine climb knocks the neutral 20.0 mph speed back
down to the same 19.92 mph.

I doubt that anyone can pedal up to around 20 mph and
accurately report his speed over a hundred yards to within
0.1 mph without a stop watch.

I'm willing to believe that I've punched in the wrong
numbers, goofed up several orders of magnitude, or missed
something else obvious. But until someone provides some
physics and numbers to show otherwise, it looks as if we
still have a tendency to feel differences that are more in
our heads (or in unrelated factors) than in what we think
we're measuring.

Again, I think that we honestly report how things feel to
us. But the kinds of differences that we sincerely feel
between two test rides are sometimes obviously swamped by
ordinary wind variation, temperature, atmospheric pressure,
tire model, tire inflation, bicycle weight, what we had for
breakfast, and whether we emptied our bladders before riding
off.

As for the derailleur versus Rohloff efficiency, let's have
a quick look. At 200 watts, Kyle and Berto found the raw
average efficiencies to be about 94.0% verus 91.5%, judging
by Figure 12. (They also pointed out that just applying the
measuring instrument cost around 2.0 to 2.5%, but let's
ignore that.)

At 94.0% efficiency, we need about 213.9 watts to push the
default rider along at 20.0020 mph for 30 minutes on our 10
mile test ride.

At 91.5% efficiency, speed drops to 19.8001 mph. The 1800
second ride takes 30.303 minutes, an extra 18 seconds. I
don't think that any rider riding by himself without a
stopwatch can tell if he's 18 seconds late after half an
hour of riding.

But anyone can check my notions to see if case I'm wildly
off. Here are two calculators:

http://w3.iac.net/~curta/bp/velocity/velocity.html

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

The first calculator (Austin) offers easy transmission
efficiency changes and oodles of decimals. The Kreuzotter
calculator can be used for rough checks by simply changing
the watts--that is, compare speeds for 200 watts and 198
watts to see how little difference a 1% change power change
makes at roughly 20 mph speeds.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chalo wrote:

> If you use drop bars, there is no ideal way to mount the shifter.

The Mittelmeyer drop bar shifter looks OK:
http://www.mittelmeyer.de/html/fahrradteile.htm
(the page is in German language, but you can click
on the small pics to get larger images that show how
the shifter is constructed.) It mounts on drop bars
in the same location where I have a twist grip for a
Rohloff hub, and I like that location a lot.

If anyone has first-hand experience of how well the
Mittelmeyer shifter works, I'd be interested to hear.

Tom Ace

I'm going to top post on Carl. Deal with it.

Various people on this forum have the front generator hubs from Schmidt
and Shimano. These produce drag when turned on and when turned off
too. Not sure of the efficiency percentage of these hubs. Schmidt is
less drag than the Shimano per the websites.

It would be nice if people who have used both dynamo hubs or just one
of them could say whether the drag is noticeable compared to a normal
front wheel. And if some of these people have also ridden the Nexus
and Rohloff internal gear hubs, it would be nice to compare the
friction losses to the dynamo hub losses. All subjective of course.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm going to top post on Carl. Deal with it.

It's not so much the top posting that sucks (even though it does suck,
and breaks up the conversation), it's the full-quoting. I wouldn't
mind top-posting nearly so much if the often-lazy folks who do it would
just trim the previous comments.

That's my opinion - "deal with it."

E.P.

[email protected] wrote:

> I'm going to top post on Carl. Deal with it.

In the time you took to make that little announcement, you could have
trimmed all the extraneous stuff from your post.

Consideration trumps laziness; that's the deal.

BS

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>It's likely that differences in wind, road, and tires on the bike rides
>that you compared had more effect than any actual differences in
>transmission efficiency between the Shimano Nexus and the Rohloff hubs.

Quite possible. I didn't do a back to back comparison under similar
conditions.

>When Kyle and Berto tested the efficiency of hub transmissions, those
>two models were virtually indistinguishable:
>http://www.ihpva.org/pubs/HP52.pdf
>See Figure 9, which graphs averaged efficiency through all gears, and
>Table 1, from which the figures were taken.

I took a peek and the numbers are close.

>Riders, of course, can't tell anything directly about internal friction
>losses. We can only notice misleading noises and estimate how fast
>we're going for whatever effort we think we're putting into gears that
>are probably different, while ignoring wind speeds, tire losses, and
>inflation differences.
>Even if we had duplicate bicycles, riders, and conditions, a 1% overall
>difference in hub efficiency (more than measured by Kyle and Berto for
>the Shimano and Rohloff hubs) would amount to only 18 seconds in 30
>minutes on a 10 mile ride at 20 mph.

Yeah, sometimes we don't let science and data guide our opinions. :)

-----------------
Alex

Dear Russell,

On 25 Apr 2006 07:57:40 -0700, [email protected]
wrote:

>I'm going to top post on Carl. Deal with it.
>
>Various people on this forum have the front generator hubs from Schmidt
>and Shimano. These produce drag when turned on and when turned off
>too. Not sure of the efficiency percentage of these hubs. Schmidt is
>less drag than the Shimano per the websites.
>
>It would be nice if people who have used both dynamo hubs or just one
>of them could say whether the drag is noticeable compared to a normal
>front wheel. And if some of these people have also ridden the Nexus
>and Rohloff internal gear hubs, it would be nice to compare the
>friction losses to the dynamo hub losses. All subjective of course.

Dear Russell,

Glad to see someone's staying on top of things.

"Everyone (who doesn't use one) complains that dynamos slow
you down. Well okay, of course they do, but I suggest that
the slowing down has more to do with psychology than the
actual power required to turn it. It takes energy to make a
noise, your energy. Add the lowering tone (eee becomes urrr)
as speed drops on a hill and it becomes hard not to believe
this morale sapping device is responsible blame for the pain
in your legs and the sweat on your brow!"

http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html#drag

That page has a nice graph showing drag rising with speed
for oodles of dynamos, including the fancy Schmidt and
Shimano internal hub ones that you mention, both on and off.

Like generators, internal hub gears often lead people to
mention the noise. Our ears are considerably more sensitive
instruments than our hindquarters, but can easily mislead
us. The classic demonstration is the use of ear plugs to
produce a magically "smoother" ride on the same bicycle on
the same road. The ride is, of course, just as rough, but
we're fooled by the startling silence.

It's worth noting that the 1% transmission efficiency losses
separating the various 7 to 14 speed hub-gear systems in the
Kyle and Berto tests amount to only 2 watts at 200 watts of
rider effort.

This 2 watt loss is the equivalent of the switched-off
Schmidt front-hub dynamo's drag at about 25 mph on the lower
right of the graph. All the other dynamos exceed 2 watts of
drag at approximately 6 mph. I may be wrong, but I doubt
that anyone notices the additional drag of generator when
idling along at 6 mph.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

What kind of old anitquated computers or software are you and this Ed
person using to view this forum? On my Internet Explorer all of the
old text is condensed and does not even appear unless I click on the
link. Why bother deleting text that never appears unless you want to
see it? I'd suggest you and this Ed person need to get jobs so you can
afford to purchase Internet Explorer and view this forum conveniently.
Just like bicycles, computers have changed for the better in the past
couple of decades. Don't be the Grant Petersen of the computer world
and retire your Commodore 64.

[email protected] wrote (TOP POST CORRECTED):
> Sorni wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to top post on Carl. Deal with it.

>> In the time you took to make that little announcement, you could have
>> trimmed all the extraneous stuff from your post.
>>
>> Consideration trumps laziness; that's the deal.

> What kind of old anitquated computers or software are you and this Ed
> person using to view this forum? On my Internet Explorer all of the
> old text is condensed and does not even appear unless I click on the
> link. Why bother deleting text that never appears unless you want to
> see it? I'd suggest you and this Ed person need to get jobs so you
> can afford to purchase Internet Explorer and view this forum
> conveniently. Just like bicycles, computers have changed for the
> better in the past couple of decades. Don't be the Grant Petersen of
> the computer world and retire your Commodore 64.

Any and every one will tell you that, yes, the old text DOES appear in your
top-posts. (Hint: it's right there.)

Perhaps YOU should join the current century and look into a threaded
newsreader. (Hint Two: look at 95% of the posts in this or any newsgroup.)

HTH(BNHB), BS