Consider a piece of square tubing...

!Jones

Guest
.... it's 1" X 2" OD with .06 wall thickness, straight gague, chromoly.

I want to braze in a 2" piece of 1/2" stainless round tubing through.
I'll size the hole with a boring head and cut the insert carefully on
a lathe.

I do not expect to harm the strength of the tubing.

Comments?

Jones

!Jones wrote:
> ... it's 1" X 2" OD with .06 wall thickness, straight gague, chromoly.
>
> I want to braze in a 2" piece of 1/2" stainless round tubing through.
> I'll size the hole with a boring head and cut the insert carefully on
> a lathe.
>
> I do not expect to harm the strength of the tubing.
>
> Comments?
>
> Jones

comments? no. but i have a question for you - what are you trying to ask?

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:48:55 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech jim beam
<[email protected]> wrote:

>!Jones wrote:
>> ... it's 1" X 2" OD with .06 wall thickness, straight gague, chromoly.
>>
>> I want to braze in a 2" piece of 1/2" stainless round tubing through.
>> I'll size the hole with a boring head and cut the insert carefully on
>> a lathe.
>>
>> I do not expect to harm the strength of the tubing.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Jones
>>

>comments? no. but i have a question for you - what are you trying to ask?

OK, fair question. Can you tell me, sir, the meaning of life? I
wouldn't ask that of just anyone, you know; however, I sense that you
have wisdom beyond your years!

I have another question, since you need clarification: would you mind
giving me a blow job? ... when you get time, of course.

Have I addressed your question?

Jones

!Jones wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:48:55 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech jim beam
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> !Jones wrote:
>>> ... it's 1" X 2" OD with .06 wall thickness, straight gague, chromoly.
>>>
>>> I want to braze in a 2" piece of 1/2" stainless round tubing through.
>>> I'll size the hole with a boring head and cut the insert carefully on
>>> a lathe.
>>>
>>> I do not expect to harm the strength of the tubing.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Jones
>>>

>> comments? no. but i have a question for you - what are you trying to ask?

> OK, fair question. Can you tell me, sir, the meaning of life? I
> wouldn't ask that of just anyone, you know; however, I sense that you
> have wisdom beyond your years!
>
> I have another question, since you need clarification: would you mind
> giving me a blow job? ... when you get time, of course.
>
> Have I addressed your question?
>
> Jones

no - you're not asking a question. you're making a statement on
something you say you intend to do, but with no indication of
application. such a structure, if executed appropriately, may be fine
for a bike rack [for example], but inappropriate for towing a 747 into
the maintenance hangar. ask a proper question, stating what you want
and why, then maybe you'll get a proper answer.

"jim beam" wrote: no - you're not asking a question. (clip) ask a proper
question, stating what you want and why, then maybe you'll get a proper
answer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please don't feed the troll.

!Jones wrote:

> ... it's 1" X 2" OD with .06 wall thickness, straight gague, chromoly.
>
> I want to braze in a 2" piece of 1/2" stainless round tubing through.
> I'll size the hole with a boring head and cut the insert carefully on
> a lathe.
>
> I do not expect to harm the strength of the tubing.
>
> Comments?

I've brazed round tubing and bosses pierced through square tubing many
times. The fit need not be perfect, though alignment is easier that
way. The important thing in my experience is to build a decent sized
fillet to carry the loads between one tube and the other-- for 1x2x.
060" rectangle, I'd try to get at least an 8mm fillet if the joint is
structural in proportion to the tube. I prefer 45% silver for the
job, but brass will work too.

You can see a few contraptions I brazed from square tube at http://chalo.org
, all of which have some pierced joints. None have failed to date,
despite heavy use.

Chalo

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> no - you're not asking a question. you're making a statement on something
> you say you intend to do, but with no indication of application.

That's why he asked for COMMENTS, not ANSWERS, beamboy. Er, duuuuhhhh....

> such a structure, if executed appropriately, may be fine for a bike rack
> [for example], but inappropriate for towing a 747 into the maintenance
> hangar.

Yadda, yadda, yadda... is this not r.BICYCLES.t? Yet you insert a 747
comment in?

> ask a proper question, stating what you want and why, then maybe you'll
> get a proper answer.

Not from you, that's for sure. But what about his other questions though?
You haven't "properly" answered them.

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:20:12 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech jim beam
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I have another question, since you need clarification: would you mind
>> giving me a blow job? ... when you get time, of course.
>>

>no - you're not asking a question. you're making a statement on
>something you say you intend to do, but with no indication of
>application.

It looks like a question to me.

Jones

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:26:33 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've brazed round tubing and bosses pierced through square tubing many
>times. The fit need not be perfect, though alignment is easier that
>way. The important thing in my experience is to build a decent sized
>fillet to carry the loads between one tube and the other-- for 1x2x.
>060" rectangle, I'd try to get at least an 8mm fillet if the joint is
>structural in proportion to the tube. I prefer 45% silver for the
>job, but brass will work too.
>
>You can see a few contraptions I brazed from square tube at http://chalo.org
>, all of which have some pierced joints. None have failed to date,
>despite heavy use.

Hey! Those are some interesting... err... contraptions! Thanks for
the link. That's good work!

My issue in this case is that the smaller through tube does not
intersect the parent tube at a right angle... it's about 15 degrees
off. That complicates the fillet quite a bit. I also can't get
inside the tubing, which would be nice; however, it's an existing
frame.

I'm thinking that I'll machine a SS fillet with a 15 degree hole such
that it'll lay flat... essentially, I'll add the fillet to the outside
of the rectangular tubing.

I dunno. I don't *have* to do it and I'd cry if I screwed up the
frame. "If it ain't broke..." might well apply here. But, well...
you know how it goes: "Because it's there!" It's just a flourish I
want to add that's purely cosmetic, but would look cool... and I'm
into "cool".

Jones

In article <[email protected]>, ****@off.com says...
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:26:33 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've brazed round tubing and bosses pierced through square tubing many
> >times. The fit need not be perfect, though alignment is easier that
> >way. The important thing in my experience is to build a decent sized
> >fillet to carry the loads between one tube and the other-- for 1x2x.
> >060" rectangle, I'd try to get at least an 8mm fillet if the joint is
> >structural in proportion to the tube. I prefer 45% silver for the
> >job, but brass will work too.
> >
> >You can see a few contraptions I brazed from square tube at http://chalo.org
> >, all of which have some pierced joints. None have failed to date,
> >despite heavy use.

> Hey! Those are some interesting... err... contraptions! Thanks for
> the link. That's good work!

Cool bikes - but I notice the seat on the "Red bike" looks a little uncomfortable...

Mike

!Jones wrote:

> My issue in this case is that the smaller through tube does not
> intersect the parent tube at a right angle... it's about 15 degrees
> off. That complicates the fillet quite a bit. I also can't get
> inside the tubing, which would be nice; however, it's an existing
> frame.

I try to use centered 90 degree pierced joints when I can, but I have
done many that aren't close to perpendicular. It's not a problem as
long as you can reorient the workpiece as necessary to keep the
flowing filler on top within reasonable limits.

Establishing a fillet inside the tube is unnecessary because the
structural load is carried predominantly by the fillet on the outside
in any case.

Chalo

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:07:51 +1200, in rec.bicycles.tech Mike
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Hey! Those are some interesting... err... contraptions! Thanks for
>> the link. That's good work!
>>

>Cool bikes - but I notice the seat on the "Red bike" looks a little uncomfortable...

Chalo didn't claim that they were *comfortable* contraptions!

Jones