Considerations for choice of chain lube

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nick Burns, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to another part of California
    from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube is not doing
    well at all during that time.

    I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that other stuff that is like
    WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea of the product name right now).

    Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have to but I
    am looking for wisdom...

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to another part of
    > California from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube
    > is not doing well at all during that time.
    >
    > I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that other stuff that is like
    > WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea of the product name right now).
    >
    > Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have to but
    > I am looking for wisdom...
    >
    > TIA

    I've had good results with Slick 50. The carrier oil dries away after a short while, but the teflon
    active ingredient stays in the chain for a long while, and surprisingly, very little dirt sticks to
    it. Here's how I apply it.

    After cleaning the chain, drop the chain in a coke bottle of Slick 50. Shake until arm falls
    off. Reattach arm. Fish the chain out, and install on bike. Let dry. Ride! Repeat above about
    once a month.

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:16:49 -0700, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> may have said:

    >Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have to but I
    >am looking for wisdom...

    From all allegedly authoritative accounts, there is little wisdom, but lots of opinions are
    available.

    Here are two of them:

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

    http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

    If you want more, Google on the subject of chain lube in this newsgroup. It's probably the most
    frequent subject, and almost assuredly the most contentious, with possibly the least reason.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    >Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
    > >will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...
    >
    > From all allegedly authoritative accounts, there is little wisdom, but lots of opinions are
    > available.
    >
    > Here are two of them:
    >
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    >
    > If you want more, Google on the subject of chain lube in this newsgroup. It's probably the most
    > frequent subject, and almost assuredly the most contentious, with possibly the least reason.

    Not true, the helmet debate is probably the most contentious.

    Mike

    > --
    > My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    > don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  5. Eflayer2

    Eflayer2 Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to another part of
    > California from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube
    > is not doing well at all during that time.
    >
    > I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that other stuff that is like
    > WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea of the product name right now).
    >
    > Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have to but
    > I am looking for wisdom...
    >
    > TIA

    latest favorite by a mile: Dumonde

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:16:37 -0700, "Mike S." <[email protected]> may have said:

    > >Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
    >> >will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...
    >>
    >> From all allegedly authoritative accounts, there is little wisdom, but lots of opinions are
    >> available.
    >>
    >> Here are two of them:
    >>
    >> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html
    >>
    >> http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    >>
    >> If you want more, Google on the subject of chain lube in this newsgroup. It's probably the most
    >> frequent subject, and almost assuredly the most contentious, with possibly the least reason.
    >>
    >Not true, the helmet debate is probably the most contentious.

    Helmets vs lube; yeah, I guess the tenor of the helmet fights is nastier, but the chain lube thing
    is a lot more frequent, and it gets ugly with far less reason. Sheesh, what's the diff, really? If
    somebody lubes their chain with stuff that somebody else wouldn't use for any purpose whatsoever,
    say Alberto VO5, it's no skin off my nose. Too many of the participants take the subject *way* too
    personally.

  7. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Werehatrack said...

    > Helmets vs lube; yeah, I guess the tenor of the helmet fights is nastier, but the chain lube thing
    > is a lot more frequent, and it gets ugly with far less reason. Sheesh, what's the diff, really? If
    > somebody lubes their chain with stuff that somebody else wouldn't use for any purpose whatsoever,
    > say Alberto VO5, it's no skin off my nose. Too many of the participants take the subject *way* too
    > personally.

    Has anyone tried mixing oil, whatever kind you choose, with a volatile solvent like naphtha? If it
    works the way it seems like it should, the solvent would evaporate and leave a thin film of oil
    behind. Seems like this would be a good idea to attract less dirt.

  8. Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Werehatrack said...
    >
    >> Helmets vs lube; yeah, I guess the tenor of the helmet fights is nastier, but the chain lube
    >> thing is a lot more frequent, and it gets ugly with far less reason. Sheesh, what's the diff,
    >> really? If somebody lubes their chain with stuff that somebody else wouldn't use for any purpose
    >> whatsoever, say Alberto VO5, it's no skin off my nose. Too many of the participants take the
    >> subject *way* too personally.
    >
    > Has anyone tried mixing oil, whatever kind you choose, with a volatile solvent like naphtha? If it
    > works the way it seems like it should, the solvent would evaporate and leave a thin film of oil
    > behind. Seems like this would be a good idea to attract less dirt.

    hmm... Might work. But I suggest doing it outdoors, and not smoking while applying that mix. Unless
    your favorite noise is a really loud KA-BOOM.

  9. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to another part of
    > California from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube
    > is not doing well at all during that time.
    >
    > I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that other stuff that is like
    > WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea of the product name right now).
    >
    > Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have to but
    > I am looking for wisdom...
    >
    > TIA

    I like Pro Gold ProLink. It's kinda dry, doesn't muck-up the drivetrain, and it's reasonably
    priced. --Jim

  10. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    Nick, for the last several months I've been using No Sweat Chain Lube by Shimano. It seems as good
    as oil but it doesn't attract dirt. I've been very happy. Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has
    mentioned it before.

    Dave

  11. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    Traveller v.116 said...

    > hmm... Might work. But I suggest doing it outdoors, and not smoking while applying that mix.
    > Unless your favorite noise is a really loud KA-BOOM.

    Of course, but it wouldn't be any more dangerous than the gas you use to fill your lawn mower.

  12. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Super Slinky wrote:

    > Has anyone tried mixing oil, whatever kind you choose, with a volatile solvent like naphtha? If it
    > works the way it seems like it should, the solvent would evaporate and leave a thin film of oil
    > behind. Seems like this would be a good idea to attract less dirt.

    I've been using plain 30W motor oil thinned with mineral spirits in a 2:1 spirits / oil ratio, and
    it's far and away the best lube I've ever used. It's no messier than Prolink and much cheaper, and
    will not wash off in anything this side of torrential rains.

    Trent

  13. Roofi

    Roofi Guest

    Yup!!!!

    Me too.

    Clean chain/cogs/derailleur etc with diesel - not petrol!

    Lube with Mobil 1 synthetic

    "trent gregory hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]... On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Super
    Slinky wrote:

    > Has anyone tried mixing oil, whatever kind you choose, with a volatile solvent like naphtha? If it
    > works the way it seems like it should, the solvent would evaporate and leave a thin film of oil
    > behind. Seems like this would be a good idea to attract less dirt.

    I've been using plain 30W motor oil thinned with mineral spirits in a 2:1 spirits / oil ratio, and
    it's far and away the best lube I've ever used. It's no messier than Prolink and much cheaper, and
    will not wash off in anything this side of torrential rains.

    Trent

  14. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Leg oil (the stuff that cyclists put on their legs b4 a race in cold weather). After cleaning my
    chain during the week I forgot to lube it, and only realized when it started squeaking during my
    warm-up for the Saturday afternoon crit. The only stuff anyone had was this aromatic leg oil, so I
    sloshed some on the chain. It obviously worked, as I won the race...

    Nick

  15. On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:16:37 -0700, "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not true, the helmet debate is probably the most contentious.

    I always thought it was frame material vs. ride quality. <G>

    Barry

  16. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    >Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have to but I
    >am looking for wisdom...

    Use motorcycle chain lube. You can buy it at a motorcycle parts store. It is a foaming penetrating
    oil specifically designed for chain lubrication. It is very convenient as you just spray it on, it
    foams up and penetrates into the links.

    Another good chain lubricant is chain saw oil (soak).

    For soaking, you can also use 30W oil (not 10W30!), though chain saw oil is better because it's more
    tenacious by design.

    Avoid White Lightning. Avoid wax. Avoid WD-40. There is no advantage to spending a lot of money on
    fancy lubricants when there are inexpensive oils designed specifically for drive chains.

  17. <quote who= Steven M. Scharf [email protected]/>:

    > Use motorcycle chain lube. You can buy it at a motorcycle parts store. It is a foaming penetrating
    > oil specifically designed for chain lubrication. It is very convenient as you just spray it on, it
    > foams up and penetrates into the links.

    I have been using Campy chain lube and it goes on exactly like you state. Hmm, I wouldn't be
    surprised if if the Campy stuff is in fact motorcycle chain lube. I'll have to get myself some
    and see if I can't save a few pennies.

    Thanks

    Justin F. Knotzke [email protected] http://www.shampoo.ca pubkey:
    http://www.shampoo.ca/jknotzke.pub

  18. chris-<< Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have
    to but I am looking for wisdom.. >><BR><BR>

    Prolink-

  19. datataylor-<< Nick, for the last several months I've been using No Sweat Chain Lube by Shimano. It
    seems as good as oil but it doesn't attract dirt. I've been very happy. Frankly, I'm surprised that
    no one has mentioned it before. >><BR><BR>

    Not compatible with campagnolo drivetrains....

    ;-lo....

  20. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to another part of
    > California from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube
    > is not doing well at all during that time.
    >
    > I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that other stuff that is like
    > WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea of the product name right now).
    >
    > Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I will do if I have to but
    > I am looking for wisdom...
    >
    > TIA

    I worked on my cousin's bike the other day. The problem was some sticky links in the chain, as well
    as an out of tune rear der. (Shimano Hyperdrive set on a rigid MTB.) Didn't look too worn, but then,
    he don't ride much.

    I used several applications of mineral spirits and WD40 to remove the black tar gunk from the chain
    - dirt + origional lube = one big nasty mess. Took awile to get it down to grey tar, then no tar.
    Next, the sticky links. Applied several drops of Break Free - It's this thick stuff sold as a
    penetrant, contains a teflon additive - and spun the cranks. A few more drops, spin the cranks. Ect,
    ect... The links worked loose, and soon it was spinning smoothly.

    The rear der was no problem. Replaced the cable and tuned it from there.

    Next morning, the chain was dry but still smooth as silk. I think I found my idea lube, at least for
    sticking links.