Considering a trike?

I would love to give one of these a try. I bet I would feel so much more confident and comfortable

I have never tried one, but my cousin got one for her birthday a last year. She loves it! In her case, she is on the over-weight side and this option affords the opportunity to enjoy biking and get some good exercise. Whenever she posts pictures of herself on this bike, she has a big smile on her face!

I'm actually looking into purchasing one of these for the customizing aspect. I wouldn't mind attaching a gas or electric motor to it. That would be cool to take it around and go shopping with it. Throw things in the basket. No insurance needed and no drivers license.

After being used to bicycles I am not sure how I would take to a trike. I think it is a different sport altogether and I am sure it must be great fun. But the costs of owning a trike may be higher than that of a bicycle.

I found this thread AFTER I started one because m y son wants me to get a trike. I was unable to find the initial article from the original posting, but have found the subsequent replies useful. I still need more info, but have some hope. The trikes I have seen around here seem to be slow and designed for disabled people. Check out the thread I posted and give me some ideas, please. I am living on Social Security!

I've been lurking here in the background for awhile. I am a bike shop owner (30 years) and also a freelance writer. I converted to bents about 7 years ago. About a year ago I decided to go trike... What a blast! If you've never tried one, you should. Recently I wrote this article and thought I would share it...
Recumbent Trikes: The Fun is Back - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Admin: If you don't want me to post a biking article occassionally, just let me know.
I've always thought that trikes looked really awesome from what I've seen on TV but I've never had the chance to actually see one in person. All the bikes I've seen around here at two wheels but that could also be because the few trails that we have are pretty narrow, so you'd be limited in where you're able to ride them. At least I assume that has something to do with it, I could be wrong.

I haven't tried the trikes yet, but I would love to. They look so comfortable and fun and there are a great deal of different styles to choose from. I even like the looks of the "car-style" bikes out there with four wheels. Some of them have double pedals in a side-by-side position, which is really cool if you can afford to buy one. There are even models that seat up to four people, just like a small car. Man, would I love to try one of those too.

I haven't tried the trikes yet, but I would love to. They look so comfortable and fun and there are a great deal of different styles to choose from. I even like the looks of the "car-style" bikes out there with four wheels. Some of them have double pedals in a side-by-side position, which is really cool if you can afford to buy one. There are even models that seat up to four people, just like a small car. Man, would I love to try one of those too.
There's bikes with four wheels? I haven't seen those before but they sound awesome! I really wish we had somewhere around here where we could rent bikes like that. It sounds like something that would be fun to do with a friend.

Reactions: Novelangel
There's bikes with four wheels? I haven't seen those before but they sound awesome! I really wish we had somewhere around here where we could rent bikes like that. It sounds like something that would be fun to do with a friend.
Yeah, they are so awesome looking too. They are quite expensive but I would love to have one if I had a money tree in my backyard or something. ;) I tried to post a link to some pictures, but the link was 5 miles long and I doubt it works in here, so just google 4 wheel bikes. That's what I did and I got a lot of really great pictures. Years ago, my parents got an offer in their mailbox about these 4 wheelers and they really wanted one at the time but the price made it prohibitive. Perhaps by now they are a little more reasonable. I'll have to do some research into it. Edited to add that I just looked up Rhodes Cars and the price is now $3,899.00, which is somewhat less than the original price of over $4,000.00. Here's a link to Rhodes' website: http://www.rhoadescar.com/index.php

Yeah, they are so awesome looking too. They are quite expensive but I would love to have one if I had a money tree in my backyard or something. ;) I tried to post a link to some pictures, but the link was 5 miles long and I doubt it works in here, so just google 4 wheel bikes. That's what I did and I got a lot of really great pictures. Years ago, my parents got an offer in their mailbox about these 4 wheelers and they really wanted one at the time but the price made it prohibitive. Perhaps by now they are a little more reasonable. I'll have to do some research into it. Edited to add that I just looked up Rhodes Cars and the price is now $3,899.00, which is somewhat less than the original price of over $4,000.00. Here's a link to Rhodes' website: http://www.rhoadescar.com/index.php
Wow that is super expensive but they do look really awesome. It would be great if tourist-y places had a place where you could rent them out by the hour or something. I'm sure they would be a huge hit!

Reactions: Novelangel
Wow that is super expensive but they do look really awesome. It would be great if tourist-y places had a place where you could rent them out by the hour or something. I'm sure they would be a huge hit!
That would definitely be something I'd be interested in. They would be spectacular for a family to rent while touring the landscape, and who knows... perhaps they do rent them in some places. It's been a while since I visited a place where they use a lot of bicycles rather than cars. Mackinac Island is one such place, and it's located right here in my home state of Michigan, except that traveling there is quite expensive. The ferry rides alone make it rather prohibitive, hence my lack of willingness to go there often. That, and the fact that I live probably 4+ hours from there.

I only know, They are getting more popular with boomers and seniors as well as people with handicaps or balance problems. You can ride as slow as you please without losing your balance with a trike. And your can put both feet on the ground, comfortably, when stopped. So if you are out riding around you can stop and shoot the breeze with a neighbor and do it in comfort. Some even have optional seat backs. And,the upright riding position is easy on the back, butt, and hands.

You are obvious an experienced biker and like me love a trike. They are slower, more expensive, havier, funny, complicated, a hassle often, but still you acnolidge that a trike is the ultimate ride. Yes there is nothing wrong with a mtb on goat paths or a fast DF uphill. But I wouldn't trade my ICE QNT for anything in the world. My trike is Freud. Everyone had a dream that he or she was floating on a matras through the world. It has to do with some sexual things I'm not going to explain but the fact your comfort chair brings you round the world is a spiritual thing most bikers fail to understand. It is goodbye to everything a bike should do. Going from A to B. Laying in the hammock seat without concentrating on balance and watch grass grow you get lasy as hell. They should ban trikes! Rambo will pick up violin lessons.
I've been lurking here in the background for awhile. I am a bike shop owner (30 years) and also a freelance writer. I converted to bents about 7 years ago. About a year ago I decided to go trike... What a blast! If you've never tried one, you should. Recently I wrote this article and thought I would share it...

I've been lurking here in the background for awhile. I am a bike shop owner (30 years) and also a freelance writer. I converted to bents about 7 years ago. About a year ago I decided to go trike... What a blast! If you've never tried one, you should. Recently I wrote this [Uarticle and thought I would share it...

Get one, and you will be extremely happy you made the purchase. They are fantastic on in town trails, where there might be a lot of starting and stopping for lights, etc. No unclipping at stops makes riding much nicer. Nearly 100% of my riding in town in on my trike. My recumbent goes out of town with the bike club.

I hope trikes will stay a rarity. The future? If 20kg trikes cost 500 euro and have a roof to keep you dry. In the Netherlands 6000 euro+ velomobiles sell like hot cakes but not everyone can afford one. Which is probably a good thing so we won't have traffic jams on bike trails. Meanwhile I'm happy to be more comfy then other cyclists. As soon everbody has one I start riding a DF again.
Why would you want trikes to stay a rarity, they are the answer to many problems many people have with DF bikes.