Considering a Vision Tamdem - Advice?

"Steve Christensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Are you sure that you and your wife are tandem folks? I
> >have spoken to several couples that told us that the tandem experience almost ruined ther
> >marriages. Sue wsn't much of a bicyclist before we started tandeming so she is much more
> >forgiving of my biking habits than I would be of hers if she were the pilot/shifter.
>

> That is certainly the $64,000 question. We do a lot of riding together
now, in
> the 40 to 100 mile range, with me always leading the way on my Vison
VR-42, and
> her following behind trying to draft, on her Trek DF. (She claims I am
her
> "domestique") So we already enjoy the activity. But whether we can
handle the
> teamwork required is the big question. I was hoping being together on a
tandem
> would solve the problem of my always waiting for her to catch up on hills
and
> such.
>
> Steve Christensen

If you have the temperament for a tandem, it will do exactly that and let you talk more easily. My
wife like our Double Vision (standard fork, with IPS). We travel only marginally above her pace
(probably around 14-15 mph unless we deliberately try to push) and find it to be the most
comfortable ride on the road. OTOH, if the local couple that always seems to be trying to set
personal best times on their Santana were to go recumbent, I think they would need a Screamer. The
DV is definitely not a PB machine.

--
Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

"Steve Christensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Are you sure that you and your wife are tandem folks? I
> >have spoken to several couples that told us that the tandem experience almost ruined ther
> >marriages. Sue wsn't much of a bicyclist before we started tandeming so she is much more
> >forgiving of my biking habits than I would be of hers if she were the pilot/shifter.
>

> That is certainly the $64,000 question. We do a lot of riding together
now, in
> the 40 to 100 mile range, with me always leading the way on my Vison
VR-42, and
> her following behind trying to draft, on her Trek DF. (She claims I am
her
> "domestique") So we already enjoy the activity. But whether we can
handle the
> teamwork required is the big question. I was hoping being together on a
tandem
> would solve the problem of my always waiting for her to catch up on hills
and
> such.
>
> Steve Christensen

If you have the temperament for a tandem, it will do exactly that and let you talk more easily. My
wife like our Double Vision (standard fork, with IPS). We travel only marginally above her pace
(probably around 14-15 mph unless we deliberately try to push) and find it to be the most
comfortable ride on the road. OTOH, if the local couple that always seems to be trying to set
personal best times on their Santana were to go recumbent, I think they would need a Screamer. The
DV is definitely not a PB machine.

--
Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Since the tandem riding I do is with my wife or daughter, a long-distance capable tandem wasn't
necessary. I am very happy with our Bikee tandem circa 2002 for rides of 50 miles or less. Since
Bikee is defunct, new ones are less than half the price of a Vision.... Try RBR in State College, PA
for a good price if he still has any left.

BentJay

Since the tandem riding I do is with my wife or daughter, a long-distance capable tandem wasn't
necessary. I am very happy with our Bikee tandem circa 2002 for rides of 50 miles or less. Since
Bikee is defunct, new ones are less than half the price of a Vision.... Try RBR in State College, PA
for a good price if he still has any left.

BentJay

Steve, you might want to look at a tandem designed by Gardner Martin of Easyracers and sold by
sunbicycles. It's a tandem version of the EZ1 and is supposed to sell for about $2000. It will be
available in Febuary. Sunbicycles.com is the website. The tandem is not posted yet but like I said
it's a tandem version of the EZ1 with a 26 inch wheel in the back and a 20 inch wheel in the front.

Mike

Steve Christensen wrote:

> My wife and I are in the market for a tandem, and I insist it be a recumbent, since I already ride
> and love my Vision VR-42. We tried the RANS Screamer, but it felt terrible, and just didn't fit
> her (5'2" with short legs). We haven't been able to find anything from Longbikes to try, so that
> leaves the Vision....

There is also the Green Gear Bike Friday DoubleDay - Green Gear has recently revised the seat design
and OSS assembly to address some complaints about seat comfort and adjustment range. While not
inexpensive, the price is in line with other high-end recumbent tandems. The DoubleDay will also
quick-fold to a reasonably small package, and will fit into two suitcases (this will take
considerably longer than the quick-fold).

Weather and Green Gear's delivery schedule permitting, I will be riding stoker on one in
about 6 weeks.

< http://www.bikefriday.com/bikeMMI.cfm?bf=46&cat=8 >

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer