Considering an old Peugeot for moderate biking. Good choice?

andik

Dec 5, 2011
Do I really need to spend a grand or more on a bike to get a good deal.. as a couple guys I work with have informed me? I had another friend tell me that he just listed his Peugeot and that it would be great for my needs.. which is getting out and biking a couple times a week. Should I be looking at new bikes only or do the classics stand the test of time?

Thanks.

Edit: I should also point out that he said he'd give it to me for $50, which would allow me to take it to the bike store and get it fixed up great for an overall great price.

Andik, why don't you see if your friend will let you take the Peugeot to the bike shop before you buy it and get an estimate of the needed work, and their opinion of the condition of the bike?

That'll at least give you pretty good idea of the total investment you'd have in the bike.....

Not a bad idea. Though I do live about 90 minutes away... I guess all in all, if it saves me from spending $1500 on a new one.. it would be well worth it! I think I just might hit him up with this idea! Thx!

+1 on 64 Paramount's advice. While you have it at the bike shop, they can tell you whether or not it fits you and you can get yourself a test ride to see if you like riding it. They can also tell you if it has English or French sizing. If it is an older Peugeot with a French threaded BB and some other components, you might have a hard time finding some components to fit it when the existing ones wear out. There are very few sources for some of the obsolete components, and in some cases they cannot be had at all.