Constant Punctures in the same place

davidbg93

Jun 30, 2013
Hi everyone
I have a hardtail MTB Giant Talon 2... I got a puncture and changed the inner tube only to immediately get a puncture in the same place again and then the same thing happened again... there is nothing sharp in the tyre or in the wheel or anything sticking into it... what an earth could it be???

Have you checked where it is in relation to the valve stem. Like when you pull the tube keep track of how you pulled the tube out, find the hole and see how that lines up on the wheel and tire. Then understand if it is in the exact same location each time.

I had a friend that was baffled by the same issue. I took a look at her flat, pulled the tube and found the hole on the inside of the tube. That made me think of bad rim tape. Sure enough based on the location of the hole I checked the rim tape and it was very depressed into the spoke hole causing the tube to blow each time she pumped up a new tube.

I had an issue a few weeks back. The tube was punctured on the outside and I noticed the location. Felt around the inside of the tire and felt the smallest of splinters. I could barely feel it with my fingers and had to use magnification and tweezers to pull it out.

Just a couple of thoughts if you haven't tried those already.

It is the same place on the tube - directly opposite the valve which makes it nice and obvious - it's only the outside of the tube... I've been round the inside of the tyre carefully and not found anything but to be honest the tyre would be in a different positive relative to the inner tube every time I have it on and off so I'm pretty sure there isn't anything in the tyre :/

Originally Posted by davidbg93 .

It is the same place on the tube - directly opposite the valve which makes it nice and obvious - it's only the outside of the tube... I've been round the inside of the tyre carefully and not found anything but to be honest the tyre would be in a different positive relative to the inner tube every time I have it on and off so I'm pretty sure there isn't anything in the tyre :/
If you cannot find the cause, replace the tire and the problem will vanish.

It is good practice to put the tire logo in line with the valve stem. It makes it easier to find problems in the tire.

Could it really be the tyre? I changed it 6 months ago using the same type as before so it's practically new anyway and how could it be in the same place on the inner tube every time if there is something in the tyre? Surely it would be in the same part of the tyre every time? If there was something in the wheel why would it be on the outside of the tube :S

davidbg93 said:
Could it really be the tyre? I changed it 6 months ago using the same type as before so it's practically new anyway and how could it be in the same place on the inner tube every time if there is something in the tyre? Surely it would be in the same part of the tyre every time? If there was something in the wheel why would it be on the outside of the tube :S 
Assuming that you don't completely remove the tire from the rim when changing a tube, the tire should remain in the same position with respect to the wheel. Note there's no need to remove the entire tire to replace a tube. It's entirely possible for something to be embedded in the tire that, for example, only gets exposed to the tube when that part of the tire passes through the contact patch. Have you run your fingers around the inside of the tire and in both directions? Have you looked carefully at the tire in the location where the punctures are happening? Looking carefully might require the complete removal of the tire to get enough light in the tire and to flex it inside out enough to get something to be visible. You're not using an anti-puncture strip between your tire and tube are you?