Constantly picking crap out of my brake shoes. WHY!??!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dumpster Bike, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. i have fitted my old Fuji touring bike with XT cantilever brakes. i had to get the bosses re-brazed
    on because the bike was originally intended for 27", and i built it on 700C. this probably has
    nothing to do with it but thought id mention it.

    anyway, the brakes seem to be springing back correctly, work fine with the old Dia Compe levers
    and stop just fine now that theyre adjusted BUT...im CONSTANTLY picking little metal filings out
    of the pads. it occurs most frequently in the front brakes, but on long rides i have to stop every
    couple miles and pick little chunks of aluminun (?) shrapnel out of the rear as well as the front
    set. the brake pads, although worn, are not near the wear marks yet. the rims are Sun CR-18s and
    theyre about 2 months old. ive done a fair amount of riding on them and they work great, but every
    other time i hit my brakes i hear them being scraped to shreds. im afraid theyre developing
    grooves like a record.

    so, what the hell are these things in my brake pads, why are they there, and what can i do to keep
    them out? thanks....

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Dumpster Bike" wrote:

    > BUT...im CONSTANTLY picking little metal filings out of the pads. it occurs most frequently in the
    > front brakes, but on long rides i have to stop every couple miles and pick little chunks of
    > aluminun (?) shrapnel out of the rear as well as the front set. the brake pads,

    > so, what the hell are these things in my brake pads, why are they there, and what can i do to keep
    > them out? thanks....

    The metal bits in your brake pads are pieces of aluminum torn from your rims.

    The solution is to replace your pads with Kool Stop salmon colored pads.

    See: http://www.chainreaction.com/brakeshoes.htm

    and

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

    Art Harris

  3. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    > so, what the hell are these things in my brake pads, why are they there, and what can i do to keep
    > them out? thanks....

    Sounds like a problem that was common the Ultegra/DA pads a few years ago; the pads were damaging
    the rims with which they were used. I suggest you try some other pads, something like KoolStop, and
    see if they also have the problem. I'll bet that solves it for you.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Andy M-S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > so, what the hell are these things in my brake pads, why are they there, and what can i do to
    > > keep them out? thanks....
    >
    > Sounds like a problem that was common the Ultegra/DA pads a few years ago; the pads were damaging
    > the rims with which they were used. I suggest you try some other pads, something like KoolStop,
    > and see if they also have the problem. I'll bet that solves it for you.

    I had the same problems with my D/A pads, switched to Kool Stops (black and ceramic) and the problem
    went away. I got some Ritchey replacement pads, but haven't installed them yet. When I do, I'll
    report back.

    Mike

  5. thank so much you guys , im glad i caught this before it became serious (i think). how can i tell if
    ive ruuned the rim? also, does anybody have experience with Campy cantilever brake shoes? i have a
    pair or 2 i think i can use in place of the LX's im using now. if not, ill just go with kool stops,
    ive heard nothing but good things about these pads.

  6. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Dumpster Bike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > thank so much you guys , im glad i caught this before it became serious (i think). how can i tell
    > if ive ruuned the rim? also, does anybody have experience with Campy cantilever brake shoes? i
    > have a pair or 2 i think i can use in place of the LX's im using now. if not, ill just go with
    > kool stops, ive heard nothing but good things about these pads.

    What's happening is that the pads are picking up grit from wet riding, and the grit is getting
    embedded in the pads and cutting grooves in the rims. This is the principle wear mechanism for rims.
    The aluminum you see is the shavings.

    The Shimano canti pads were the worst I ever used for this. They were so soft they picked up grit
    like crazy. The Koolstop salmon-colored pads are way better. I have always used the same compound on
    my road bikes since when Scott-Matthauser made them, I use Koolstops now, both road & off-road, the
    hard compound eliminates the problem and the braking is good.

    I wouldn't worry about ruining the rim in such a short time. Usually a rim can take about 1 mm of
    wear, you can gauge this by putting a straightedge against the rim wall & seeing how deep the
    concavity is.