Constipation question:Sources of fiber

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Mar 14, 2005.

  1. I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    The reason is , is because I take several medications which constipate
    me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs per serving
    size. What fiber supplement would you recommend , something I could
    mix with water and drink everyday etc?

    Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.

    thanks for reading and helping me.

    ******************************
    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    http://www.frozenpsi.net/

    Tags:

  2. None Given

    None Given Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    > The reason is , is because I take several medications which constipate
    > me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs per serving
    > size. What fiber supplement would you recommend , something I could
    > mix with water and drink everyday etc?

    Psyllium, you can get it in regular, sugar free, or capsules.

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

  3. Stefan Holm

    Stefan Holm Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:

    > What fiber supplement would you recommend , something I could mix
    > with water and drink everyday etc?

    Flaxseed porridge in the morning works wonders for me.

    --
    Stefan Holm
    289/232/170 since: 07/08/2004 monthly-goal: 6 month-start: 236

  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    None Given wrote:
    :: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :: news:[email protected]
    ::: I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    ::: The reason is , is because I take several medications which
    ::: constipate me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs
    ::: per serving size. What fiber supplement would you recommend ,
    ::: something I could mix with water and drink everyday etc?
    ::
    ::
    :: Psyllium, you can get it in regular, sugar free, or capsules.

    Psyllium doesn't have sugar in it -- only those fiber products that try to
    make it taste good do. I just use the capsules and take them with liquid.

  5. On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:16:32 -0800, wombn
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:25:13 -0500, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    >>The reason is , is because I take several medications which constipate
    >>me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs per serving
    >>size. What fiber supplement would you recommend , something I could
    >>mix with water and drink everyday etc?

    >psyllium husks
    >
    >http://www.drugstore.com/search/sea...trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=psyllium
    >
    >>Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.

    >I don't know if psyllium causes gas or not.

    What are some name brands which have psyllium in it?

    thanks always.

    ******************************
    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    http://www.frozenpsi.net/

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    :: On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:16:32 -0800, wombn
    :: <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:25:13 -0500, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    ::: wrote:
    :::
    :::: I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    :::: The reason is , is because I take several medications which
    :::: constipate me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of
    :::: carbs per serving size. What fiber supplement would you recommend
    :::: , something I could mix with water and drink everyday etc?
    :::
    ::: psyllium husks
    :::
    :::
    http://www.drugstore.com/search/sea...trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=psyllium
    :::
    :::: Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.
    :::
    ::: I don't know if psyllium causes gas or not.
    ::
    :: What are some name brands which have psyllium in it?

    psyllium husks, if you want capsules. did you follow the link provided you?

    ::
    :: thanks always.
    ::
    :: ******************************
    :: http://www.dubyareport.net/
    :: http://www.frozenpsi.net/

  7. FOB

    FOB Guest

    These are the best ones I have found, they are truly tasteless and have
    nothing added, just psyllium husks ground quite fine.
    http://www.vitacost.com/store/produ...SearchText=psyllium&SearchBy=PN&ss=1&x=15&y=8

    In news:[email protected],
    wombn <[email protected]> stated
    | On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:25:13 -0500, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    | wrote:
    |
    || I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    || The reason is , is because I take several medications which
    || constipate me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs
    || per serving size. What fiber supplement would you recommend ,
    || something I could mix with water and drink everyday etc?
    |
    | psyllium husks

    http://www.drugstore.com/search/sea...trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=psyllium

    || Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.
    |
    | I don't know if psyllium causes gas or not.
    |
    || thanks for reading and helping me.
    || ******************************
    || http://www.dubyareport.net/
    || http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    |
    | --
    -----------

    | If laughter is the best medicine,
    | then kittens should be covered by our health insurance. :)

  8. FOB

    FOB Guest

    The best psyllium husks I have found are these, no additives and no flavor,
    just psyllium husks ground finely.
    http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Products/ProductDescription.cfm?SKUNumber=021078007791

    In news:[email protected],
    wombn <[email protected]> stated
    | On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:25:13 -0500, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    | wrote:
    |
    || I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    || The reason is , is because I take several medications which
    || constipate me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs
    || per serving size. What fiber supplement would you recommend ,
    || something I could mix with water and drink everyday etc?
    |
    | psyllium husks

    http://www.drugstore.com/search/sea...trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=psyllium

    || Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.
    |
    | I don't know if psyllium causes gas or not.
    |
    || thanks for reading and helping me.
    || ******************************
    || http://www.dubyareport.net/
    || http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    |
    | --
    -----------

    | If laughter is the best medicine,
    | then kittens should be covered by our health insurance. :)

  9. Child

    Child Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    |I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    | The reason is , is because I take several medications which constipate
    | me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs per serving
    | size. What fiber supplement would you recommend , something I could
    | mix with water and drink everyday etc?
    |
    | Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.

    Since becoming pregnant, and having terrible constipation problems, citrucel
    has become my new best friend. Its gas free and far less revolting than
    metamucil.

  10. Child

    Child Guest

    "wombn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:25:13 -0500, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    | >The reason is , is because I take several medications which constipate
    | >me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs per serving
    | >size. What fiber supplement would you recommend , something I could
    | >mix with water and drink everyday etc?
    |
    | psyllium husks

    http://www.drugstore.com/search/sea...trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=psyllium

    | >Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.
    |
    | I don't know if psyllium causes gas or not.

    psyllium DOES cause gas.

    The newer methylcellulose fiber doesn't produce gas http://citrucel.com/

  11. J. Davidson

    J. Davidson Guest

    flax seed meal is another answer to constipation.
    I get it at Krogers and add 2 T. to my cereal in the morning.
    Jackie
    > news:[email protected]
    > | On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:25:13 -0500, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    > | wrote:
    > |
    > | >I am in need of a fiber supplement in addition to my food sources.
    > | >The reason is , is because I take several medications which constipate
    > | >me a lot. I was eating prunes but they pack 25g of carbs per serving
    > | >size. What fiber supplement would you recommend , something I could
    > | >mix with water and drink everyday etc?
    > |
    > | psyllium husks

    http://www.drugstore.com/search/sea...trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=psyllium

    > | >Something that wouldn't give me a gas problem either.
    > |
    > | I don't know if psyllium causes gas or not.
    >

    > psyllium DOES cause gas.
    >

    > The newer methylcellulose fiber doesn't produce gas http://citrucel.com/

  12. On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:11:03 -0500, "J. Davidson" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >flax seed meal is another answer to constipation.
    >I get it at Krogers and add 2 T. to my cereal in the morning.
    >Jackie
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> | psyllium husks
    >> |

    >http://www.drugstore.com/search/sea...trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=psyllium

    >> | I don't know if psyllium causes gas or not.
    >>

    >> psyllium DOES cause gas.
    >>

    >> The newer methylcellulose fiber doesn't produce gas http://citrucel.com/

    Thanks to all who have replied, I read them all. Thanks for the advice
    and the urls/links. Good night/Good day wherever you are.

    Thanks.

    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    http://www.frozenpsi.net/