constipation

Gap

Guest
My mom got ovarian cancer one year ago. She got surgery and
6 cycles of follow-up chemo. the cancer mark is in the
normal arrange. But she has a big problem with constipation.
is there anyone who can give some suggestion or recommend
some diet? any suggestion is appreciated.

gap wrote:

> My mom got ovarian cancer one year ago. She got surgery
> and 6 cycles of follow-up chemo. the cancer mark is in the
> normal arrange. But she has a big problem with
> constipation. is there anyone who can give some suggestion
> or recommend some diet? any suggestion is appreciated.

Prunes or prune juice (or a small bowl of cooked rhubarb)
once a day (need it or not) or Metamucil (Psyllium Fiber )
once a day with juice (need it or not)

Why isn't her doctor helping her with this? Please check
with him/her (first) in case there's bowel obstruction
occurring... J-not a doctor

"gap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My mom got ovarian cancer one year ago. She got surgery
> and 6 cycles of follow-up chemo. the cancer mark is in the
> normal arrange. But she has a big problem with
> constipation. is there anyone who can give some suggestion
> or recommend some diet? any suggestion is appreciated.

Additional fibre is good including things like metamucil but
remember to drink lots with it otherwise they set like
concrete. Fruit and vegies all help but it is likely a
regular laxative like sennakot will be needed to speed
things along a bit. If the results are hard then softeners
like coloxyl ao lactulose or sorbitol will help. If she
still has problems then movicol is usually very effective.
If the problem is reduced nerve supply to the lower
bowel/rectum then supositories may be appropriate. Everyone
is different so you have to work out the doses for yourself.
If you are hitting the high dose levels with everything then
some advice from the nurses at her hospital/clinic should be
sought. MIKE

If you don't like drinking the metamucil-type stuff, try
stirring some Benefiber into <just about anything>. I put it
in my porridge -- makes it even glue-ier than it already is!
but doesn't change the taste. You can also stir it into (non-
carbonated) drinks, stewed fruit, mashed potato, etc. bj