constipation

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Gap, May 7, 2004.

  1. Gap

    Gap Guest

    My mom got ovarian cancer one year ago. She got surgery and
    6 cycles of follow-up chemo. the cancer mark is in the
    normal arrange. But she has a big problem with constipation.
    is there anyone who can give some suggestion or recommend
    some diet? any suggestion is appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. J

    J Guest

    gap wrote:

    > My mom got ovarian cancer one year ago. She got surgery
    > and 6 cycles of follow-up chemo. the cancer mark is in the
    > normal arrange. But she has a big problem with
    > constipation. is there anyone who can give some suggestion
    > or recommend some diet? any suggestion is appreciated.

    Prunes or prune juice (or a small bowl of cooked rhubarb)
    once a day (need it or not) or Metamucil (Psyllium Fiber )
    once a day with juice (need it or not)

    Why isn't her doctor helping her with this? Please check
    with him/her (first) in case there's bowel obstruction
    occurring... J-not a doctor

  3. "gap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My mom got ovarian cancer one year ago. She got surgery
    > and 6 cycles of follow-up chemo. the cancer mark is in the
    > normal arrange. But she has a big problem with
    > constipation. is there anyone who can give some suggestion
    > or recommend some diet? any suggestion is appreciated.

    Additional fibre is good including things like metamucil but
    remember to drink lots with it otherwise they set like
    concrete. Fruit and vegies all help but it is likely a
    regular laxative like sennakot will be needed to speed
    things along a bit. If the results are hard then softeners
    like coloxyl ao lactulose or sorbitol will help. If she
    still has problems then movicol is usually very effective.
    If the problem is reduced nerve supply to the lower
    bowel/rectum then supositories may be appropriate. Everyone
    is different so you have to work out the doses for yourself.
    If you are hitting the high dose levels with everything then
    some advice from the nurses at her hospital/clinic should be
    sought. MIKE

  4. Bj

    Bj Guest

    If you don't like drinking the metamucil-type stuff, try
    stirring some Benefiber into <just about anything>. I put it
    in my porridge -- makes it even glue-ier than it already is!
    but doesn't change the taste. You can also stir it into (non-
    carbonated) drinks, stewed fruit, mashed potato, etc. bj