Consultancy for wheels

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Gabriele Russo, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Is there anyone experienced of the wheels Rigida Xone? Thanks for comments
    about rolling resistance, acceptable comfort or excessive stiffness for long
    rides (up to century), truing frequency etc.
    GR

    Tags:

  2. Gabriele Russo writes:

    > Is there anyone experienced of the wheels Rigida Xone? Thanks for
    > comments about rolling resistance, acceptable comfort or excessive
    > stiffness for long rides (up to century), truing frequency etc.

    None of the effects you mention vary with any common rims, even ones
    with few spokes, the radial deflections being about the thickness of
    common copier paper. If you can feel the "bump" when riding over a
    flat sheet of copier paper lying on the road, then you might notice a
    difference.

    From the picture they seem mainly boutique items, being a semi-deep
    cross section, fancy colored and machined, and having relatively few
    blackened flat spokes.

    http://www.mobielefietsreparatiebus.nl/images/PROLINE---XONE.jpg

    Why do you think you need these wheels?

    [email protected]

  3. > Why do you think you need these wheels?

    > [email protected]

    Good question. Answer: fighting "aging effect".
    I like long rides and it is necessary (simply) to keep going fast. But aging
    is fast too, so I am looking for wheels with less rolling resistance but
    granting a sufficient comfort for 6 hs long rides. Nowadays I rely on
    Ultegra hubs and Ambrosio Excellence rims.
    Thanks for any suggestion.
    GR

  4. Correction: "rolling resistance" is reductive. Better: less resistances in
    general.
    GR

    news:z9_%[email protected]

  5. Gabriele Russo writes:

    >> Why do you think you need these wheels?

    > Good question. Answer: fighting "aging effect".

    there is nothing in wheels, other than riding thin high pressure
    tires, with smooth tread, to reduce rolling resistance. Unless you
    are riding at high speeds, wind drag in spokes is insignificant,
    especially for non-competitive riding.

    > I like long rides and it is necessary (simply) to keep going fast.
    > But aging is fast too, so I am looking for wheels with less rolling
    > resistance but granting a sufficient comfort for 6 hrs long rides.
    > Nowadays I rely on Ultegra hubs and Ambrosio Excellence rims.

    That sounds good enough to me. You won't get any benefit from more
    expensive or newer wheels. If you like long rides, then you probably
    enjoy the landscapes through which you ride. I take it you are in
    Italy from your sig. Where in (I) do you ride? There are many great
    weekend rides I could suggest and if ever ride the Stelvio you will
    always remember it for the magnificent adventure that it holds.

    The snow plows are coming soon:

    http://www.webcam.valtline.it/stelvio.htm
    http://www.gaviabike.it/Gavia_versante_santa/00.jpg
    http://tinyurl.com/len5

    Ride bike!

    [email protected]

  6. > there is nothing in wheels, other than riding thin high pressure
    > tires, with smooth tread, to reduce rolling resistance. Unless you
    > are riding at high speeds, wind drag in spokes is insignificant,
    > especially for non-competitive riding.

    You can't believe, but I know tens of people who say there are sensible
    differences in riding resistances among different wheels. Powerful of the
    cash out?

    > I take it you are in
    > Italy from your sig. Where in (I) do you ride?

    Confirm, Rome. Family constraints suggest me not to spend more than
    two-three spaced mornings a week. Stelvio and friends are watched during
    Giro.

    GR

  7. Gabriele Russo writes:

    >> There is nothing in wheels, other than riding thin high pressure
    >> tires, with smooth tread, to reduce rolling resistance. Unless you
    >> are riding at high speeds, wind drag in spokes is insignificant,
    >> especially for non-competitive riding.

    > You can't believe, but I know tens of people who say there are
    > sensible differences in riding resistances among different
    > wheels. Powerful of the cash out?

    >> I take it you are in Italy from your sig. Where in (I) do you
    >> ride?

    > Confirm, Rome. Family constraints suggest me not to spend more than
    > two-three spaced mornings a week. Stelvio and friends are watched
    > during Giro.

    You must see it first hand. It is shockingly grand.

    Meanwhile, ride to Lago di Bracciano and eat lunch in Anguilara.
    Radicofani is also a great ride.

    [email protected]

  8. > Meanwhile, ride to Lago di Bracciano and eat lunch in Anguilara.
    > Radicofani is also a great ride.

    Thanks for suggestions. At Lago di Bracciano and Anguillara, potholes of the
    ring road are well known, Radicofani is quite far, soon will reach.
    Bye.
    GR