Consultation Time For S. Hants People

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [ Not Responding ], Sep 25, 2004.

  1. OK, people, it's consultation time. If you live in, near or travel
    through Fareham, Hampshire then there's a public consultation on the
    draft Transportation Strategy.

    The draft can be found here

    http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportstrat.asp

    and the online form, here

    http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportconsult.asp

    It's worth reading the appendices as these contain the lists of
    proposed schemes and, as always, the important stuff is in the detail
    rather than the aspirations and policies of the core document.

    Apologies as it's probably a bit parochial to most people here unless
    you're fascinated by the comparative merits of different transport
    strategies.

    Tags:

  2. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "[ Not Responding ]" <[email protected]> writes:
    > OK, people, it's consultation time. If you live in, near or travel
    > through Fareham, Hampshire

    Um, does that extend to those of us who periodically travel through
    on the train, and sometimes change train there?

    --
    Nick Kew

    Alex Salmond - thank you for saying the obvious. Can you repeat what
    James VI did, for us poor sassenachs with no acceptable leaders?

  3. On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:40:37 +0100, [email protected] (Nick Kew)
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "[ Not Responding ]" <[email protected]> writes:
    >> OK, people, it's consultation time. If you live in, near or travel
    >> through Fareham, Hampshire

    >Um, does that extend to those of us who periodically travel through
    >on the train, and sometimes change train there?

    Seeing as Fareham is a transport-bottleneck[1], a locals-only
    consultation would exclude a large proportion of people to whom the
    transport infrastructure is important.

    Well, that's my view.

    [1] The M27, A32 and A27 all converge or pass through. Of course, it
    *could be* a transport hub; central to the Pompey/Soton conurbation,
    good rail links, nearby airports and ferry ports etc. However, as long
    as the car remains the modal focus, it will remain a bottleneck.

  4. Russell

    Russell Guest

    "[ Not Responding ]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > OK, people, it's consultation time. If you live in, near or travel
    > through Fareham, Hampshire then there's a public consultation on the
    > draft Transportation Strategy.
    >
    > The draft can be found here
    >
    > http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportstrat.asp
    >
    > and the online form, here
    >
    > http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportconsult.asp
    >
    > It's worth reading the appendices as these contain the lists of
    > proposed schemes and, as always, the important stuff is in the detail
    > rather than the aspirations and policies of the core document.
    >
    > Apologies as it's probably a bit parochial to most people here unless
    > you're fascinated by the comparative merits of different transport
    > strategies.

    Nice one NotResponding. I'll be interested to read through this as I
    work in a regularly commute to the area. Anyone who's been to the area
    will know how the Gosport/Fareham area is pretty cycle friendly and I
    think I read Gosport (covered by Fareham BC) has the greatest cycle
    usage of any South coast town. I'd like to see a much better cycle
    link between the Eastern A27 to join the A32 down to Gosport (which
    already has some pretty good cycle lanes). Also on-road cycle paths
    over Portsdown hill.

    Russell

  5. On 25 Sep 2004 15:09:09 -0700, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:

    >"[ Not Responding ]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> OK, people, it's consultation time. If you live in, near or travel
    >> through Fareham, Hampshire then there's a public consultation on the
    >> draft Transportation Strategy.
    >>
    >> The draft can be found here
    >>
    >> http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportstrat.asp
    >>
    >> and the online form, here
    >>
    >> http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportconsult.asp
    >>
    >> It's worth reading the appendices as these contain the lists of
    >> proposed schemes and, as always, the important stuff is in the detail
    >> rather than the aspirations and policies of the core document.
    >>
    >> Apologies as it's probably a bit parochial to most people here unless
    >> you're fascinated by the comparative merits of different transport
    >> strategies.

    >Nice one NotResponding. I'll be interested to read through this as I
    >work in a regularly commute to the area. Anyone who's been to the area
    >will know how the Gosport/Fareham area is pretty cycle friendly and I

    Hmm. Good in parts would describe it, IMO.

    >think I read Gosport (covered by Fareham BC) has the greatest cycle

    No, no, no. Gosport is Gosport and Fareham is Fareham. They are
    discrete BCs despite an attempt to marry them some years ago.

    >usage of any South coast town.

    IIRC Gosport has cycling as something like a 14% modal share. Fareham
    is about the national average of 3%. Considering that the 2001 census
    showed that Fareham has one of the highest ratios of private car
    ownership in the country, this isn't actually too bad.

    It's ideal utility cycling country; coastal plain, balmy southern
    climes and short travel distances.

    >I'd like to see a much better cycle
    >link between the Eastern A27 to join the A32 down to Gosport (which
    >already has some pretty good cycle lanes).

    Stop complaining man. You've just had 1 million quid spent on a
    glorious 2km of shared unsegregated pavement cycling along the A27.
    The Evening News loved it when their reporter noted that half of
    cyclists ignored it and remained on the road.

    Re the A32. There are interesting times coming up for the whole
    question of Fareham-Gosport links along the peninsular now the tram
    has been binned by the Govt.

    >Also on-road cycle paths
    >over Portsdown hill.

    Which route? The A3 Bus Corridor will have almost contiguous cycle
    lanes from Waterlooville to Pompey. And that's in build now. I don't
    think much can be done about the scary rat-run on the top of the hill
    in front of DERA. I use it occasionally and I'm always suprised by
    remining alive at the end of it.

    >Russell

  6. njf>badger

    njf>badger Guest

    [ Not Responding ] wrote:

    > OK, people, it's consultation time. If you live in, near or travel
    > through Fareham, Hampshire then there's a public consultation on the
    > draft Transportation Strategy.
    >
    > The draft can be found here
    >
    > http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportstrat.asp
    >
    > and the online form, here
    >
    > http://www.fareham.gov.uk/council/departments/planning/transportconsult.asp
    >
    > It's worth reading the appendices as these contain the lists of
    > proposed schemes and, as always, the important stuff is in the detail
    > rather than the aspirations and policies of the core document.
    >
    > Apologies as it's probably a bit parochial to most people here unless
    > you're fascinated by the comparative merits of different transport
    > strategies.

    Most interesting, I hope the crossings will be toocans to stop the
    idiots riding straight accross the zebras without warning from behind
    cover (had 1 do it this morning). As for making more traffic use
    segensworth road.....And the excuses for not completing the whitley alt.
    exits....Still I've done my bit.

    Niel.