Consulting for new wheelset options

Jonathan Fairhurst

Feb 22, 2017
I have a Ridley Crosswind custom build that has a Dura Ace wheelset that doesn't support clinchers, and I'm looking for a good clincher wheelset that is good quality but affordable. I talked to a guy in a bike shop and he recommended the Bontrager H5 tires for my riding needs (75% road and 25% gravel, grass, curbs, etc), but couldn't recommend a wheelset for me. Currently my wheel size is 32 and 33 inch. I don't have the bike with me so I couldn't tell you the tire width, but currently I have worn out Challenge Fango tubulars. I'm not looking to race or anything, just casual 10-50 mi rides. Any advice?

I have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S I've had for a few years and they're light, affordable, durable and roll well. I also recently came into a set of Shimano RS81.. little more expensive for the pair, but they're light and roll well. I can't speak on durability because I haven't owned them long enough.. but the consensus on reviews is that they're bulletproof.

I'm seeing they run from 3-500 bucks, I could probably get used, but my main problem is being a broke college age cyclist haha
Is there anything I'd be able to get for under 200 that's worth my time?

No problem. Depending on which Dura Ace wheels you have.. these may be considerably different in just about every aspect as I'm sure you're already aware.. But Mavic makes a good wheel and they can be serviced at pretty much every shop.. so they're a good budget-conscious choice.

The set equipped came with the bike, so I don't know too much about them. They're a little old and goofy so different won't be necessarily bad. I also just don't have the time and money to keep up with tubulars.

I ride on a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-30mm-Alloy-Clincher-Wheelset/dp/B007WXMT52?th=1 While they're not the lightest wheelset out there they are very sturdy and low costing, will take abuse of gravel though you would be limited to a 28 wide tire max due to the rim width of 20.8 mm but it is wider than the Mavic Aksium that is only 17 mm wide limiting you to 25 maybe 26 wide tire.

The Shimano comes in black and silver, the silver is more aero than the black version.

I ride on a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-30mm-Alloy-Clincher-Wheelset/dp/B007WXMT52?th=1 While they're not the lightest wheelset out there they are very sturdy and low costing, will take abuse of gravel though you would be limited to a 28 wide tire max due to the rim width of 20.8 mm but it is wider than the Mavic Aksium that is only 17 mm wide limiting you to 25 maybe 26 wide tire.

The Shimano comes in black and silver, the silver is more aero than the black version.
FYI ...

While there is certainly an optimum rim width for any given tire when inflated to a patticular tire pressure -- and, I once subscribed to the general belief expressed by Froze -- you can actually use as FAT a tire (with some limitations!) which the frame-or-fork will accommodate with the inconvenience mostly coming from the ease-or-difficulty with which the tire can pass between the brake pads ...

I know someone who mounted 700x32 tires on MAVIC MA-40 rims (622-15) -- he simply unhooked the straddle cable to open the brakes which allowed the tires to easily clear the brake pads.
And, FWIW, disc brake users can use almost ANY size tire with the (significant) limitation being LATERAL stability of the tires when inflated with comparatively low air pressure for the carcass size & construction.

.​

FYI ...

While there is certainly an optimum rim width for any given tire when inflated to a patticular tire pressure -- and, I once subscribed to the general belief expressed by Froze -- you can actually use as FAT a tire (with some limitations!) which the frame-or-fork will accommodate with the inconvenience mostly coming from the ease-or-difficulty with which the tire can pass between the brake pads ...

I know someone who mounted 700x32 tires on MAVIC MA-40 rims (622-15) -- he simply unhooked the straddle cable to open the brakes which allowed the tires to easily clear the brake pads.
And, FWIW, disc brake users can use almost ANY size tire with the (significant) limitation being LATERAL stability of the tires when inflated with comparatively low air pressure for the carcass size & construction.

.​

I stand corrected, for some reason I had a brain fart, SORRY guys.

Ok, let me see if I can get this correct this time with the help of Sheldon Brown's site to refresh my pea brain. A 17 mm wide rim can accept a tire from 25 to 37 max. The Shimano rim could go up to a 44, but since I have these rims I think 44 is pushing it a lot since I run 25's on them currently and they're just fine even though supposedly the minimum width they should be a 28 which is the largest size that would fit on my bike anyways, a 44 in my opinion on that rim, I just can't see how that rim could handle it without issues with too much tire roll due to the tire's width vs the tire's height which would then act like a lever and on sharp fast turns could cause the sidewall to collapse and roll off the rim. I could be wrong about the Shimano since I never actually tried to fit a 44 on it, but from 40 years of experience eyeballing this sort of thing I just can't see it, I think a 38 would be the max that would fit on it comfortably, maybe a 40 but again I have my doubts.

Like Alfena said you can't just put tires on and go even if they fit the rim because they may not fit on the bike either due to brake clearance, top and/or sides, or fork. The rear usually has more room available vs the front but only by one tire size more usually but not always, it may be the same as the front or it might handle 2 or 3 sizes larger. The bike manufacture, or the bike shop, should be able to tell you what the max tire size that will fit on the bike as they equipped it.

All this tire size thing is subject to manufactures interpretation of tire size, one tire company that makes a 32 could fit in my bike and another would be way too tight even more so than a normal 32, so there is some trial and error involved to make sure you find the right tire. In my bike's case it's the clearance distance from the sides, even if the calipers are open I wouldn't be able to slip in a 32. If the tire is built a bit larger than the listed 28 (for example the max that will fit my bike) say it actually measure 29 though it's marked a 28, it will fit howbeit tight. So if a manufacture say's their bike will only accept a 28, like in my case, they usually build in some room for error to take into consideration manufacturer's failure to make sure the tire meets the sidewall listed tire size.

I stand corrected, for some reason I had a brain fart, SORRY guys.

Ok, let me see if I can get this correct this time with the help of Sheldon Brown's site to refresh my pea brain.

A 17 mm wide rim can accept a tire from 25 to 37 max. The Shimano rim could go up to a 44, but since I have these rims I think 44 is pushing it a lot since I run 25's on them currently and they're just fine even though supposedly the minimum width they should be a 28 which is the largest size that would fit on my bike anyways, a 44 in my opinion on that rim, I just can't see how that rim could handle it without issues with too much tire roll due to the tire's width vs the tire's height which would then act like a lever and on sharp fast turns could cause the sidewall to collapse and roll off the rim. I could be wrong about the Shimano since I never actually tried to fit a 44 on it, but from 40 years of experience eyeballing this sort of thing I just can't see it, I think a 38 would be the max that would fit on it comfortably, maybe a 40 but again I have my doubts.

Like Alfena said you can't just put tires on and go even if they fit the rim because they may not fit on the bike either due to brake clearance, top and/or sides, or fork. The rear usually has more room available vs the front but only by one tire size more usually but not always, it may be the same as the front or it might handle 2 or 3 sizes larger. The bike manufacture, or the bike shop, should be able to tell you what the max tire size that will fit on the bike as they equipped it.

All this tire size thing is subject to manufactures interpretation of tire size, one tire company that makes a 32 could fit in my bike and another would be way too tight even more so than a normal 32, so there is some trial and error involved to make sure you find the right tire. In my bike's case it's the clearance distance from the sides, even if the calipers are open I wouldn't be able to slip in a 32. If the tire is built a bit larger than the listed 28 (for example the max that will fit my bike) say it actually measure 29 though it's marked a 28, it will fit howbeit tight. So if a manufacture say's their bike will only accept a 28, like in my case, they usually build in some room for error to take into consideration manufacturer's failure to make sure the tire meets the sidewall listed tire size.

(Sorry if this is viewed as a thread jack) I'm looking to upgrade my wheels with a budget of about $1200. I'm going back and forth between the DA C60 and Reynolds Assaults.
I have a question for anyone with Assaults, does the rear hub have the loud buzzing from the freewheel or just a normal clicking.
My current Ultegra hubs are near silent, so I'm assuming the DA hubs will be as well.
Thanks!

I've been searching too and I can't find anything, which probably is indicative that those Reynolds wheels aren't selling real well, and that could be do to the onslaught of CF wheels, everyone is going with those.

Reactions: Helolumpy