Consumer Warning!!

BikeKnight

Jan 10, 2008
Just a little warning for those thinking about buying a bike at Cell Cycles in Sydney. Though the prices look good I asked for a new set of pedals to be fitted in store and the manager then refused to give me the original pair from the bike. Dodgy??? Well, I sure ain't going back there. Buyer beware.....

BikeKnight said:
Just a little warning for those thinking about buying a bike at Cell Cycles in Sydney. Though the prices look good I asked for a new set of pedals to be fitted in store and the manager then refused to give me the original pair from the bike. Dodgy??? Well, I sure ain't going back there. Buyer beware.....
OUch!
My bike came without pedals.. so i was lucky enough to have my dad with a spare set.. all i had to buy when i bought my bike was a new saddle.. a nice girly cushy one.. and shoes. Dad supplied the rest :p
Can they refuse that kind of thing? I'm not sure it's legal..it's certainly not fair..buggers!:(

BikeKnight said:
Did you pay for the new pedals, or were they changed as part of the purchase?

No, I paid for a new set of pedals plus shoes which were part of a different package to the bike

62vette said:
Did you pay for the new pedals, or were they changed as part of the purchase?

Are you sure that the bike originally had pedals? If so, you could threaten them with the police, and if they don't back down, you could go to the ombudsman. Having said that, I'm not sure how much struggle the pedals on a Cell bike would be worth....
None of the better bikes in their catalogue have pedals in the pictures.

Road bikes (except very low end) are generally sold without pedals (so you can put whatever you fancy). If the pedals were nevel included in the first place, you have no right to ask for them...

Then again, the pedals might have been included, in which case they are yours.

Find out if the pedal were part of the deal.

cheers

BikeKnight said:
Talk about your minor, nit-picky gripe.

Would you complain if your new car didn't have its tyre valve cap screwed on tightly.

As mentioned before, road bikes generally come without pedals. If they do, then they'd be basic, crappy things not worth arguing over.

I'd be surprised if you're purchase of pedals wasn't considered an upgrade, which would entitle them to keep the orginals - if indeed they came at all.

Finally, I could well understand them thinking you'd not want the pedals as, I doubt they ever sell a bike with TWO sets of pedals (other than a tandem).

WHICH bike did you buy? A very important question.

Scotty

Gripe not so minor!

I assembled a bike from Cell for a friend recently.

The FD cable adjuster on the down tube was cross threaded and the attaching pop rivets loose. Any attempt by the bike owner to obtain a replacement adjuster from Cell have beeen ignored for 4 months! :rolleyes:

gclark8 said:
Gripe not so minor!

The FD cable adjuster on the down tube was cross threaded and the attaching pop rivets loose. Any attempt by the bike owner to obtain a replacement adjuster from Cell have beeen ignored for 4 months! :rolleyes:
If that is so, then that is a different matter...

but quibbling over K-Mart quality pedals??

Sounds like a complaint in a serach of a reason.

BikeKnight said:
G'day everyone,

This post was brought to my attention and I wanted to present more facts and for everyone to decide for themselves if we are "Dodgy".

This customer bought a bike that already came with pedals, but asked for some clipless ones to be installed.

These pedals are usually $79, but we only charged $50, as $29 was the difference between the stock and upgraded pedals.

When you requested to keep both pedals, you were told to pay $79 instead of $50. You refused.

Also, you wanted our online price for the pedals, when in fact we clearly state on the product page that online prices cannot be matched in store, as website prices do not involve professional sales, service, fitting and advice.

Does this sound unreasonable?

We did not refuse to give you your original pedals, YOU REFUSED to pay the extra $29.

gclark8 said:
Gripe not so minor!

G'day, Have you tried calling us? A lot of people send email and when they don't get a response, they think we're ignoring them. Sometimes our SPAM filter is very aggressive! If you want a quick resolution to any problem, just call and ask for John, our manager, he'd be more than happy to get you sorted!

CELLbikes said:
G'day everyone,

This post was brought to my attention and I wanted to present more facts and for everyone to decide for themselves if we are "Dodgy".
Cell Bikes 1 - Bike Knight 0.

CELLbikes said:
Also, you wanted our online price for the pedals, when in fact we clearly state on the product page that online prices cannot be matched in store, as website prices do not involve professional sales, service, fitting and advice.
You know I never quite understood this. I mean you have the same conditions for Gu. What professional sales, service, fitting and advice is involved in handing a box over the counter and taking the money? A cynic might say you have a low online price and tack a few bucks onto the shipping. $13 for metro area sounds a bit rich.

Even for set of pedals, how much effort to fit them in the name of superior customer service? You would probably have had a customer for life instead of someone who's bagging you all over the internet.

Not that it matters, Rebel sells 24 packs for $55 and I can walk out of the store with it. I'm not saying you're being dishonest, just that your online strategy deters me from buying from you rather than encouraging it.

I would have thought (from a marketing point of view) the very best thing you could do would be to have people come to the store - but then maybe my side of marketing (as a consumer) might be wrong. But then again, you don't have my money so maybe you're wrong after all.

just my 2c

/k

G'day Kakman,

Cheers for your point of view.

You can now order up to 5 boxes of GU shipped to you for $8.95! (just for you kakman)

When someone buys a bike or anything over the internet, they usually do their own research and then make up their mind. Hence, our internet prices are cheaper.

However, when a customer comes in and asks you the finer points, advantages/disadvantages of one particular product over another, then this is where sales and service comes into play. (especially if they take 1-2hrs talking to you deciding).

We are always happy to offer any advice we can regarding any particular product and whether or not it may or may not suit a particular rider depending on how they will use it, however, I'd have to disagree if you say that spending time with a customer is not sales and service and doesn't justify a slightly higher price. After all, time = money for a salesman.

Also, just for you Kakman (or anyone else), our Thursday 21 FEB special will have GU for $55.

You must order online and use our address as the delivery address and use the voucher code "PICKUPATSHOP" if you want to pick up at shop.

If you need it sent, you'll still have to pay $8.95 shipping.

So there, you can have the same price as Rebel and pick up GU from us, any takers?

Oh, if you want to pick up from the shop, please call us to confirm that it's there, as we have a local GU guy who brings them in (we'd actually call you to tell you it's in if you ordered online and wanted pickup).

-Mark

ps- If you ask me for the online price I'll give it to you in the shop (I'm the e-Commerce Mgr), but keep it on the downlow as John is actually shop manager and if you say "Mark will give it to me for the online price", all that does is get me kicked in the balls and then you still pay store price.

Not trying to argue or accuse but, I tend to agree with Kakman's point of view.

Sure, if you're buying a bike that needs fitting, or even clothes that need trying on - or dare I say it, pedals that need 60secs of fitting - yes - I see a professional service factor - no arguments.

However, if I walk into your shop (and I have on many occasions) and I grab a tube (or a planet bike light) from the rack on the left as you walk in, take it to the counter and hand over the folding stuff - what service has there been? Granted - there is an element of someone has to put the tube on the self etc. But, if I find later that I could have got my items $8 or $15 dollars cheaper by ordering online if only I'd have spend an extra $8 or $15 by ordering online, I start to wonder about if people are fair-dinkum.

I wonder if people really want my business, or is my presence in a shop seen as such a business liability that you seemingly discourage me financially from entering your shop. Then again, inflated postage that suggests even writing my name on an evelope is such a trauma for you that you need to charge me a few bucks makes me wonder if you really even want me to do business with you.

I'm not just picking on CELL. In fact, I think CELL has been a wonderful thing that has shaken up the industry quite nicely. A lot of businesses treat customers in such a way that they feel unwelcome (ie. if I have to look at a customer's ugly face, I'm gonna charge them extra).

And if your customers think you actually like them in store - they'll come back.
If I am gonna be treated impersonally - Probikekit can treat me like **** cheaper than you can.

Just my thoughts.

CELLbikes said:
G'day Kakman,

Cheers for your point of view.

You can now order up to 5 boxes of GU shipped to you for $8.95! (just for you kakman)

When someone buys a bike or anything over the internet, they usually do their own research and then make up their mind. Hence, our internet prices are cheaper.

However, when a customer comes in and asks you the finer points, advantages/disadvantages of one particular product over another, then this is where sales and service comes into play. (especially if they take 1-2hrs talking to you deciding).

We are always happy to offer any advice we can regarding any particular product and whether or not it may or may not suit a particular rider depending on how they will use it, however, I'd have to disagree if you say that spending time with a customer is not sales and service and doesn't justify a slightly higher price. After all, time = money for a salesman.

Also, just for you Kakman (or anyone else), our Thursday 21 FEB special will have GU for $55.

You must order online and use our address as the delivery address and use the voucher code "PICKUPATSHOP" if you want to pick up at shop.

If you need it sent, you'll still have to pay $8.95 shipping.

So there, you can have the same price as Rebel and pick up GU from us, any takers?

Oh, if you want to pick up from the shop, please call us to confirm that it's there, as we have a local GU guy who brings them in (we'd actually call you to tell you it's in if you ordered online and wanted pickup).

-Mark

ps- If you ask me for the online price I'll give it to you in the shop (I'm the e-Commerce Mgr), but keep it on the downlow as John is actually shop manager and if you say "Mark will give it to me for the online price", all that does is get me kicked in the balls and then you still pay store price.

CELLbikes said:
I think you're missing the point - this isn't about me (besides, I have a fridge full of gu)

CELLbikes said:
Let's put it another way, if someone does their research, walks into the shop knowing what they want, they get penalised with a higher price. Are you starting to see the problem? They've done exactly the same work as the internet buyer but have to pay more because they dared walk in the door of the store. Just as an aside, they might pay cash - something you can't do on the net - which would have saved you the CC commission.

CELLbikes said:
Well, if it takes you 1-2 hours to discuss pedals or Gu...?? I mean, be a little bit fair dinkum. If they need to have lengthy discussion about a bike, we'll assume the higher price and margin on the bike would cover it - if not your business model is severely flawed.
A quick look at your site shows some knicks are only available online - seems I can't even try them on if I'm not sure about size. How much service goes into selling a pair of knicks?

So, I can come into the store, spend 2 hours with you and walk out of the shop with nothing. This is even more likely when you consider I may be able to go straight home and order it online from you (for less), or buy it somewhere else. You've still spent the time, you've just pi$$ed me off on the way. And it you don't tell me I can get it cheaper from you online, how pi$$ed am I going to be when I find out?

Also, just for you Kakman (or anyone else), our Thursday 21 FEB special will have GU for $55. You must order online and use our address as the delivery address and use the voucher code "PICKUPATSHOP" if you want to pick up at shop.So there, you can have the same price as Rebel and pick up GU from us, any takers?
With respect, I think you're missing the bigger picture here. On you website you ask people why they didn't buy something - I'm just trying to tell you.

I hope you're showing this to John - you can always edit out the bits that might get your balls kicked. Never forget the old adage - the customer IS always right.

/k

scotty72 said:
Not trying to argue or accuse but, I tend to agree with Kakman's point of view.
No need to apologise for agreeing, I suspect we're right:)

I'm not just picking on CELL. In fact, I think CELL has been a wonderful thing that has shaken up the industry quite nicely. A lot of businesses treat customers in such a way that they feel unwelcome (ie. if I have to look at a customer's ugly face, I'm gonna charge them extra).
If Cell want to be the Aussie PBK, all power to them - close the store and be an online business. The structure they have now is sufficiently twisted I find it hard to buy from them. Makes me almost want to go in and waste their time:(

And if your customers think you actually like them in store - they'll come back.
A good business wants customer in the door where they can be properly upsold. This is the reason people say "we only quote RRP over the phone, you need to come into the store for the best price". As annoying as this can be, they're desperate to get people to come to the store because that's where the real 'selling' takes place.

Probikekit can treat me like **** cheaper than you can.
:D Gold - tempted to rip that off for a sig.

/k

kakman said:
No need to apologise for agreeing, I suspect we're right:)

If Cell want to be the Aussie PBK, all power to them - close the store and be an online business. The structure they have now is sufficiently twisted I find it hard to buy from them. Makes me almost want to go in and waste their time:(

A good business wants customer in the door where they can be properly upsold. This is the reason people say "we only quote RRP over the phone, you need to come into the store for the best price". As annoying as this can be, they're desperate to get people to come to the store because that's where the real 'selling' takes place.

:D Gold - tempted to rip that off for a sig.

/k

Hey guys, cheers for your thoughts again!

God Bless PBK! I even buy stuff from them, however we've had some customers that come in saying that they've had bad warrantee issues with them, as you need to post things back to England and the turn around time may be lengthy.

If you're happy with PBK, then by all means by from them, however, if you disagree, perhaps you should check out Woolies wheels, go to their shop and ask for the online price.

Just to let you guys know, we may be expanding to a bigger and better shop where prices in store and online will be the same.

I very much value your input and hopefully it'll make us into the best store we can be. Since I've come on board, I've worked very hard to iron out the kinks of our business and thanks to your feedback, we'll get there eventually.

Also, we're not trying to be the Aussie PBK, as PBK does it so well, we're striving to be a combination of Anaconda/Rebel/Chain Reaction (UK). We're just trying to get people into cycling who have never cycled before or are returning to cycling after a long layoff.

Does anyone have any other feedback?

CELLbikes said:
Hey guys, cheers for your thoughts again!

God Bless PBK! I even buy stuff from them, however we've had some customers that come in saying that they've had bad warrantee issues with them, as you need to post things back to England and the turn around time may be lengthy.
Yeah, and I rarely buy stuff that is likely to be a warranty problem from them. Mostly, I get tubes, tyres, cassettes - that sort of stuff. Stuff that just is - wont be the wrong size or wont work properly. Computers, clothes etc. I will buy where I get to see, touch and take back if there is a prob. What I said about going into the shop and grabbing tubes is a case in point. If I'm told I need to pay more because my presence is a pain in the **** to the manager, I will say stuff it - PBK.

However, there are a few places where I actually feel welcomed. They talk to me, don't make me feel like I'm a burden. Sure the business model is different but, the feeling of being encouraged in is important.

I'm not going to give them a free plug (they don't pay me - where Dallas used to be). They are more pricey but I will still go in there to have a chat, see a tube and think, "geez, need a few of them - don't wanna wait 2 weeks from PBK." I buy, even though it is more $$$.

Yes, if I walked into CELL, I'd prob get it cheaper despite the fact it's the higher store price but, I still feel like Cell prefers not to see me.

Last time I walked into the other shop to "have a chat", I had my wife with me. She got chatting about tubes and tyres. The chat developed, she ended buying a $1600 bike. This is despite the fact that they are known as a little pricey (and were going to go everywhere else first try for a better price)

Wouldn't have happened on-line.

CELLbikes said:
If you're happy with PBK, then by all means by from them, however, if you disagree, perhaps you should check out Woolies wheels, go to their shop and ask for the online price.
Woolies. I bought my SCOTT from them. Went back once thinking I could get a relationship with them - I thought they would value that. I went back to buy a spare set of cleats. I had the online / store price argument with them. I walked out - haven't been back. For about $4 (the difference), they lost me forever

Scotty