Contador back to his old ways

greg52

Jul 26, 2007
Another ridiculous attack today...out of the saddle the entire time and gaining second after second...will he test positive this year?

Sure he will! I think this is Armstrong's way to ensure Number 8 - can't beat him, so make sure that he gets caught doping. This was always the obvious plan.

greg52 said:
Another ridiculous attack today...out of the saddle the entire time and gaining second after second...will he test positive this year?
Why would he? When's the last time one of JB's boys tested positive in competition?

They'll catch other riders long before they bust any of the Astana riders.

tomUK said:
Sure he will! I think this is Armstrong's way to ensure Number 8 - can't beat him, so make sure that he gets caught doping. This was always the obvious plan.
Armstrong was always a great tactician, and this would be a masterstroke. :D

I doubt it. JB and Armstrong are going their own way next year. Contador won't be one of his rides. JB couldn't care less about Contador...there is a lot of loyalty between Armstrong and Bruyneel.

tomUK said:
I doubt it. JB and Armstrong are going their own way next year. Contador won't be one of his rides. JB couldn't care less about Contador...there is a lot of loyalty between Armstrong and Bruyneel.
If JB stays in the sport as a DS, why not stick with the young buck? After seeing the number of riders that gained time on him, I think LA is washed up.

serpico7 said:
If JB stays in the sport as a DS, why not stick with the young buck? After seeing the number of riders that gained time on him, I think LA is washed up.

Well I havent got any love for Armstrong but I must say that the way he handled his comeback was stupid and he didnt do justice to himself. He let his ego get the better of him (as usual) and he didnt stay low. He shouldnt have created any expectations, he shouldnt have talked about four leaders, about possibilities of victory e.t.c because he should know that all these would be blown out of proportion.
He should have made us tired of hearing him stressing out that he wouldnt win, that he was in for the LAF promotion and for the love of riding. Had he done so anything in the top 10 would have been a success. And rightly so because for some1 to come back after 3 years, at 37 and finish in the top 10 in the TdF is remarkable. Now anything other that first, even podium, will be seen as a failure. He should have kept the low profile he had when he first announced that he would come back. But no he couldnt do that. Because he is Armstrong, the biggest ego in world sports. He is finding himself in a deep hole of his own making. Let the spin begin

serpico7 said:
because armstrong will bring in sponsorship money at a faster rate than contador. will armstrong be the hog's principal rider? not by a long shot, but the hog has shot himself in the foot with contador so he's going to have to find a new top rider and get the new boy on the programme.

DV1976 said:
Well I havent got any love for Armstrong but I must say that the way he handled his comeback was stupid and he didnt do justice to himself. He let his ego get the better of him (as usual) and he didnt stay low. He shouldnt have created any expectations, he shouldnt have talked about four leaders, about possibilities of victory e.t.c because he should know that all these would be blown out of proportion.
He should have made us tired of hearing him stressing out that he wouldnt win, that he was in for the LAF promotion and for the love of riding. Had he done so anything in the top 10 would have been a success. And rightly so because for some1 to come back after 3 years, at 37 and finish in the top 10 in the TdF is remarkable. Now anything other that first, even podium, will be seen as a failure. He should have kept the low profile he had when he first announced that he would come back. But no he couldnt do that. Because he is Armstrong, the biggest ego in world sports. He is finding himself in a deep hole of his own making. Let the spin begin
Spot on.

slovakguy said:
because armstrong will bring in sponsorship money at a faster rate than contador. will armstrong be the hog's principal rider? not by a long shot, but the hog has shot himself in the foot with contador so he's going to have to find a new top rider and get the new boy on the programme.
If he continues to be a no show in the mountains, I think the sponsorship money will dry up pretty quickly. Who cares about a rider that even Cadel Evans can drop at will?

serpico7 said:
If he continues to be a no show in the mountains, I think the sponsorship money will dry up pretty quickly. Who cares about a rider that even Cadel Evans can drop at will?
i'll go along with the premise that armstrong is finished as a top shelf rider, but he seems to be interested in moving on to another phase in his career.

Don't hate; appreciate. Contador is the man! I'm so tired of the Armstrong propaganda wagon...Listening to the Armstrong boobleheads on Versus turns my stomach...hopefully it will have died down forever...

I can't help but shake my head at some of the comments! .......... for three years we have had a feeble replica of what The Grand Tour should be and now with a quietly spoken Yank the fizz is back! ......... above all Lance Armstrong is the definitive proffessional racing cyclist and no one can doubt his dedication to his chosen sport! ...... he is a superb tactition and a loyal team player! ....... he will do as instructed and whether or not can he win! ....... if unleashed the slopes of the Mont Ventoux and the ensuing TT may well provide the answer! ..........

Contador is too skinny to have the power to timetrial like he does, it takes muscle mass versus drag the likes of Fabian to do it. He does not have the physical anthropology of enlarged lungs and heart like Indurain and Armstrong. Today at the finish of stage 15 he wasn’t even sweating, everyone else was drenched, HE’S A DOPER !!! and like all dopers he will get caught. :cool:

serpico7 said:
"Washed up" is a pretty strong term considering he smoked all but the truly elite climbers in the primes of their careers.

slovakguy said:
i'll go along with the premise that armstrong is finished as a top shelf rider, but he seems to be interested in moving on to another phase in his career.
If he continues cycling, boy, would he wield one heck of a stick as a road captain.

I think the 3+ years away might have hurt him more than the age - Poulidor was still a factor at 40.

Chavez said:
"Washed up" is a pretty strong term considering he smoked all but the truly elite climbers in the primes of their careers.

I'm not a LA fan but I'll have to agree with your words. For a
"has been", he sure did a remarkable ride against the top climbers of the day/generation.

Chavez said:
Obviously I meant washed up as in he can no longer be considered a serious contender for the GC either in this Tour or any future Tours.

No doubt he can continue to ride professionally and help young riders, a la David Millar, if he was inclined to do so. Actually Millar's got a pretty good gig - he's management and he still rides.

serpico7 said:
Obviously I meant washed up as in he can no longer be considered a serious contender for the GC either in this Tour or any future Tours.

No doubt he can continue to ride professionally and help young riders, a la David Millar, if he was inclined to do so. Actually Millar's got a pretty good gig - he's management and he still rides.

Actually he's riding well enough after being "back" for a relatively short time that I wouldn't completely write him off just yet.

How anybody can suggest that finishing as LA did yesterday at Verbier demonstrated that LA is a "washed up has been" suggests a bias that makes most so called LA fanboys look like mildly disinterested. The top 20 finishers yesterday demonstrated real class. That a 37 year old with a none too perfect build up to the tour and only moderate racing in his legs managed to do what LA did was pretty impressive. He's still at the top tier. Perhaps with another years racing he can improve even though age is against him. Cadel Evans claimed it was his worst day ever bar none. Perhaps LA was having a bad day. What Contador did was outrageous (again I have no way of knowing whether it was doped fuelled or not as he's never been caught but what a ride). The Schleck brothers, Bradley Wiggins, Sastre, Nibali (and my apologies to any of the riders I may have missed) all showed real class. LA was riding with a young class crowd and not conceding very much at all.

Can't you lot watch this race with out being critical. I don't see anyone in these forums riding the Tour.